Scamp Front Bunk - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
When I first purchased my Scamp it was missing the front bunk bed. I built one and it works but it is not exactly right. I was wondering if anyone had a "How Too" or Photos of exactly; Where, and how it is asembled & what kind of materials Scamp Used? I was able to create a bunk that tilts dwown and is hinged on the ends to make a couch but my dimensions are not factory and I dont like how mount came out. I want to make something storonger, and if I am going to do it all again I want to make it factory looking. How exactly do they connect the board to the wall? What kind of hinges did they use and where can I get some?

Any pictures would be most helpfull

Thank you!

Old 03-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #2

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
The bunk boards are 24" tall and 73 1/2" wide. I sent pictures to someone else before but I also needed to draw out a pattern and send a copy of the pattern to them. All three boards are glued to the foam and the foam is the hinge for the wings. The top of the seat board is held by two small door hinges attached to a 2X4 glassed to the shell just below the front window. I hope this helps.
Eddie

Attached Thumbnails
825__2_.jpg   829__2_.jpg  

831__2_.jpg   824.jpg  

Old 03-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #3

Quote:
The bunk boards are 24" tall and 73 1/2" wide. I sent pictures to someone else before but I also needed to draw out a pattern and send a copy of the pattern to them. All three boards are glued to the foam and the foam is the hinge for the wings. The top of the seat board is held by two small door hinges attached to a 2X4 glassed to the shell just below the front window. I hope this helps.
Eddie

Wow that does help alot. I am suprised that the foam is the hinge. What kind of hardware is used to attach the board to the wall? I know it is some knind of funky hinge. Can you send me a picture of that?

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to to about!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #4

Virginia
I'm was incorrect they do use piano hinges on the shelf ends under the glued foam. On the older Scamps I delt with they just use two hinges like door hinges to attach the shelf to the wall board. On my 2004 i just looked at they used a long narrow hinge with four screws on each side. On the wall side they bent the hinge 90 degrees on the wall side to attach two screws to two sides of the wall attaching board and four screws to the shelf board.
Eddie
Old 03-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #5

Virginia
Pictures of bunk hinge. From seat looking up.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2675.jpg   100_2679.jpg  

Old 03-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
I'm was incorrect they do use piano hinges on the shelf ends under the glued foam. On the older Scamps I delt with they just use two hinges like door hinges to attach the shelf to the wall board. On my 2004 i just looked at they used a long narrow hinge with four screws on each side. On the wall side they bent the hinge 90 degrees on the wall side to attach two screws to two sides of the wall attaching board and four screws to the shelf board.
Eddie

Right on, So they did bend a the hinge funky! I knew it! I wonder if I can source them around town and bend them myself.... If you get a chance could you measure that hinge for me?

Thank you so much for the info!!
Old 03-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Pictures of bunk hinge. From seat looking up.

Nevermind on the measuring Your picture did not show up the first time. I can see it now! I can so make that!

Thank you again!
Old 03-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #8

Virginia
1.5" wide by 2" long.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Nevermind on the measuring Your picture did not show up the first time. I can see it now! I can so make that!

Thank you again!

Well I know what I will be doing this weekend . That is different even than the one Boler I had chance to see in person. I think the way they have it in your picture is a better method!!

Thank you for all the information!
Old 03-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Right on, So they did bend a the hinge funky! I knew it! I wonder if I can source them around town and bend them myself.... If you get a chance could you measure that hinge for me?

Thank you so much for the info!!
I have come across this hinge, pre-bent, online. I can't remember where it was, but I think it was on a marine site. Otherwise, a continuous hinge would work.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Try West Marine under hingers.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...dkey=SiteSearch

Bill K

Quote:
I have come across this hinge, pre-bent, online. I can't remember where it was, but I think it was on a marine site. Otherwise, a continuous hinge would work.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 1989 13 ft Scamp
I just order these hinges from Scamp Parts dept. The package they are in was labeled Chest Hinges.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #13

Quote:
I just order these hinges from Scamp Parts dept. The package they are in was labeled Chest Hinges.
I just ordered a bunch of other little odds and ends from them I looked and looked for the bunk hinges. I did see the chest hinges did not know it was the same.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #14

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
My Boler had 3" butt [door] hinges. Available at any hardware store.

Tags
scamp