Scamp Front Bunk - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
When I first purchased my Scamp it was missing the front bunk bed. I built one and it works but it is not exactly right. I was wondering if anyone had a "How Too" or Photos of exactly; Where, and how it is asembled & what kind of materials Scamp Used? I was able to create a bunk that tilts dwown and is hinged on the ends to make a couch but my dimensions are not factory and I dont like how mount came out. I want to make something storonger, and if I am going to do it all again I want to make it factory looking. How exactly do they connect the board to the wall? What kind of hinges did they use and where can I get some?

Any pictures would be most helpfull

Thank you!
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The bunk boards are 24" tall and 73 1/2" wide. I sent pictures to someone else before but I also needed to draw out a pattern and send a copy of the pattern to them. All three boards are glued to the foam and the foam is the hinge for the wings. The top of the seat board is held by two small door hinges attached to a 2X4 glassed to the shell just below the front window. I hope this helps.
Eddie

Attached Thumbnails
825__2_.jpg   829__2_.jpg  

831__2_.jpg   824.jpg  

Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #3

Quote:
The bunk boards are 24" tall and 73 1/2" wide. I sent pictures to someone else before but I also needed to draw out a pattern and send a copy of the pattern to them. All three boards are glued to the foam and the foam is the hinge for the wings. The top of the seat board is held by two small door hinges attached to a 2X4 glassed to the shell just below the front window. I hope this helps.
Eddie

Wow that does help alot. I am suprised that the foam is the hinge. What kind of hardware is used to attach the board to the wall? I know it is some knind of funky hinge. Can you send me a picture of that?

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to to about!
Old 03-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #4

I'm was incorrect they do use piano hinges on the shelf ends under the glued foam. On the older Scamps I delt with they just use two hinges like door hinges to attach the shelf to the wall board. On my 2004 i just looked at they used a long narrow hinge with four screws on each side. On the wall side they bent the hinge 90 degrees on the wall side to attach two screws to two sides of the wall attaching board and four screws to the shelf board.
Eddie
Old 03-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #5

Pictures of bunk hinge. From seat looking up.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2675.jpg   100_2679.jpg  

Old 03-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #6

Quote:
I'm was incorrect they do use piano hinges on the shelf ends under the glued foam. On the older Scamps I delt with they just use two hinges like door hinges to attach the shelf to the wall board. On my 2004 i just looked at they used a long narrow hinge with four screws on each side. On the wall side they bent the hinge 90 degrees on the wall side to attach two screws to two sides of the wall attaching board and four screws to the shelf board.
Eddie

Right on, So they did bend a the hinge funky! I knew it! I wonder if I can source them around town and bend them myself.... If you get a chance could you measure that hinge for me?

Thank you so much for the info!!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Pictures of bunk hinge. From seat looking up.

Nevermind on the measuring Your picture did not show up the first time. I can see it now! I can so make that!

Thank you again!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #8

1.5" wide by 2" long.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Nevermind on the measuring Your picture did not show up the first time. I can see it now! I can so make that!

Thank you again!

Well I know what I will be doing this weekend . That is different even than the one Boler I had chance to see in person. I think the way they have it in your picture is a better method!!

Thank you for all the information!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Right on, So they did bend a the hinge funky! I knew it! I wonder if I can source them around town and bend them myself.... If you get a chance could you measure that hinge for me?

Thank you so much for the info!!
I have come across this hinge, pre-bent, online. I can't remember where it was, but I think it was on a marine site. Otherwise, a continuous hinge would work.
ReilleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Try West Marine under hingers.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...dkey=SiteSearch

Bill K

Quote:
I have come across this hinge, pre-bent, online. I can't remember where it was, but I think it was on a marine site. Otherwise, a continuous hinge would work.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 1989 13 ft Scamp
I just order these hinges from Scamp Parts dept. The package they are in was labeled Chest Hinges.
Tim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 PM   #13

Quote:
I just order these hinges from Scamp Parts dept. The package they are in was labeled Chest Hinges.
I just ordered a bunch of other little odds and ends from them I looked and looked for the bunk hinges. I did see the chest hinges did not know it was the same.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
My Boler had 3" butt [door] hinges. Available at any hardware store.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
James,

Didn't your bunk hinges have an "L" on the ledge side? Mine have something like that from the factory. It kind of lifts the bunk kind of "up and over" when you put it in position.

I wonder if someone had changed yours, or if some were made with just "regular" hinges?

I'll see if I can dig up a photo of mine and add it to the post.

Edited to add: Okay, this is not the best photo, but it's a crop of a large one I had on hand. You can sort of see how it works overall from this photo. One side of the hinge is made in an L shape; the other side is "normal," like you would have on an interior house door.

The L-shaped side of the hinge is attached to the ledge that is fiberglassed to the front wall of the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bunk_hinge_close.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	26844

Here is a photo I found on the web that shows it in more detail:

Name:   bunk_hinge.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  9.8 KB

It seems like the bunk might not lift "up and away" properly with just a standard hinge (?). Also, this does raise it so that there is a bit more room for the lower bunk.

On my Boler these are the factory hinges.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think Scamp uses the off-set hinges because they're screwed to the bottom of the fiberglassed-in mount. When weight is applied to the top bunk through downward force, it actually is applied to the mount and not directly to the hinges. So the hinges are just to move the "board" up from the gaucho position and into the bunk position; Not for support.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #17

I installed the new bunk over the weekend. Thank you all for the information. I shaped the ledge board and glassed it on. I went with finish grade ply for the bunk because we are making the mattresses a non attached component, and I wanted it to match my new Oak table. The bed is now strong enough for me to sleep on. I added quite a bit of reinforcement to the wall in the way of glass materials. I had no idea how strong that stuff can be. It was in all respects my first glassing experience. I am still working on the detachable railing. You can see the ladder on the right hand side.

I will post pictures of the railing when I am finished. I used a standard hinge for the bunk. I ran the screws into the face of the ledge. I lined it up so that when it is in bed position the weight is being placed flat over the entire surface of the ledge board, and not directly on the hinge. There should not be a problem with shear on the hinge screws. All of the posted pictures were most helpful. This new bed is way stronger than the old one.
Attached Thumbnails
PIC_0369.jpg  
Old 03-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #18

Thanks for the report

Can you show how the bunk back works/sits when it's in the down position? I'm wondering how not having the "bendable slits" near the corners affects it (not describing it very well, but out near the ends of the standard Boler bunk/back it is allowed to bend so that the back can conform to the trailer curve when it is in "couch back" position. I'm wondering how yours sits when it is down, since it's all one piece.

Raya
Old 03-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Thanks for the report

Can you show how the bunk back works/sits when it's in the down position? I'm wondering how not having the "bendable slits" near the corners affects it (not describing it very well, but out near the ends of the standard Boler bunk/back it is allowed to bend so that the back can conform to the trailer curve when it is in "couch back" position. I'm wondering how yours sits when it is down, since it's all one piece.

Raya

That is a great question!

The hinges are hidden behind the ladder. The ends do indeed fold up in the down position. I did opt to make the "Wings" as I called them, longer than what the stock size would be. This does make bringing it back up a little more cumbersome as they try to jam against the wall. But I wanted to maximize the space for my kids. As it will most always be in bunk mode I wasn't worried about the slightly more work to bright it back up from the down position. I did not use piano hinges for the wings, just 2 standard 2 1/2" Hinges on each side. They seam to work pretty good. Since I wont be gluing the bunk mattress to the board I can always upgrade them if they get broken.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #20

Aha! Well your wings/wing-hinges blended in so well I couldn't even see them!

Thanks for getting back to me. I like the idea of a separate cushion so that you can use it as optional counter space. I tried a mock up of a counter-height counter in mine for awhile (but I did not need to sleep anyone there so it could be lower); yours lets you have both

Tags
scamp