Scamp front bunk modification to support adults - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Scamp front bunk modification to support adults

I'd like to share the additional support I built for the front bunk in our scamp in order to support an adult. We are a family of four with 2 and 3 year old boys that have not discovered the fun of bunk beds yet. In other words: dad is on the top bunk. So I set off to build additional support for the bunk. Attached are pictures of what I came up with. It is made from extruded aluminum with T - slots. If you are not familiar with this material it is pretty neat to build lightweight struture out of - you can build anything out of it. There are a zillion different pieces and parts available and it all goes together like an erector set. Downside is that it might be cheaper to build something out of gold, but I was able to buy some used off of craigslist. What I ended up with is a lightweight frame, extremely strong, can be easily assembled and disassembled. I cut it with a aluminum saw blade ($125) in a power mitre saw. Let me know what you think or if you have any questions. I also wraped the feet with a rubber liner as to not scratch the fiberglass. Additionally, this makes it easier to get in and out of the lower bunk as the support legs are moved to the ends of the bunk.

Enjoy,

John
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3647.JPG   IMG_3649.JPG  

IMG_3650.JPG  
John Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
That looks really great!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #3

Couple of advantages to my bunk support -

I forgot to add a couple of advantages of the bunk support I made - when I do get one of my boys into the upper bunk it will be very easy to add a ladder and a rail to the upper bunk (so nobody rolls out).

John
Old 04-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #4

Great job, the family will use it for years.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Great job John! Thanks for sharing
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
That is amazing! Very smart!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #7

Thanks for the feedback -

Thanks for the positive feedback, I have obtained so, so much information from this forum, it feels great to finally be able to share some back.

For additional information about the t - slot extruded aluminum search for Faztek. I purchased most of my materials from Grainger.

On the bottom of the legs I cut sections of tool box liners from Sears. This is also great for a no slip shelf liner.

John
Old 04-13-2011, 04:38 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Good to know about this product. You're right it is pricey. But I suspect if you bought the aluminum from the local hardware store it would cost more and this has a very professional look to the finished project. Good work. Thanks for sharing. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I love it.

Much better than the 2 posts.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Good stuff John! I assume you're not using the Couch? And when you get on the top bunk - any flex? Or any word from the company on the weight limit? Thx for posting!
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #11

Weight limit of bunk over 1000lbs easy -

Luke,

The exact engineering specifications for any of the t-slot extruded aluminum can be found on the various OEM websites. There is no flex whatsoever, it could easily hold over 1000lbs. I used 1 inch x 2 inch for the legs, if you wanted something stronger yet you could use a 2x2, 2x3, 3x3,4x4 - etc. This material is used in the automotive industry and various other manufacturing facilites. The material is actually cheaper to build strucutres out of than using steel and welding it - mainly do to ease of use, ease of changing design. Anybody can cut it with a chop saw and screw it together. You are only limited by your imagination in terms of what you can build out of it - tables, chairs, workbenches, assembly lines, a garage, a house - whatever.

No, we don't use the couch when it is the four of us. Normally, either mom or dad is with the little ones on the big bed - the other parent is in one of the bunks. We use the other bunk for storage. We are normally in the camper just to sleep anyways, not much sitting around with my boys.

John
Old 04-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #12

One more thing I forgot to add -

Ok - I know I'm starting to sound like a salesman for t-slot extruded aluminum - I just spent too many years as a manufacturing engineer.

Please keep in mind for the dimensions I wanted for the bunk I had to assemble it while putting it in. In other words, you cannot fit it through the door or into place with it assembled. Very easy with this set up, all you have to do is turn some srews with an allen wrench - although you are laying on your back on the lower bunk.

John
Old 06-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp
New York
What sizes are the rails

I love this idea for the bunk what are the sizes of the long rails and the cross rails as I am hopping to order these to make this
Steveadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #14

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Hey thanks for this post. I really like the set up AND now I know what that crazy shaped "bannanna" cushion is used for, what a relief
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
You should put posts under the fiberglass cabinet inline with your top supports so weight bearing on the caninet is transfered to the floor. Scamps using the standard bunk beds could use the extra support too. This is one of the few things I am critical of the Scamp as sold.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 PM   #16
BW3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro
Massachusetts
Looks good, ....and

It brings back memories of one of my better jobs I had back in the day working with that material. Thank You ..
Bill
BW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #17

Name: Grant
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Cool idea, but why not sleep on the bottom bunk and use the top bunk for storage?
Lercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Nice job! Did you have to cut the wood that the mattress lays on to fit the aluminum frame?
Old 06-16-2022, 08:08 AM   #19

Name: Kamil
Trailer: Scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carter View Post
I also wraped the feet with a rubber liner as to not scratch the fiberglass.

Could you share what exact material you used to wrap the legs? I am trying to think of something I can get from a hardware store, and my mind is drawing a blank.
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:47 AM   #20

If I recall correctly, I used pieces of a mat that was sold to line the bottom of tool box / chest drawers. If you google tool box drawer mat there are many different options. I just cut a rectangle that wraps around the end and used gorilla tape to secure.

Tags
scamp