scamp mod to front dinette - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #15

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Front Dinette is SO Much better,

Its worth the effort. It also meant I could get a super comfortable mattress for the bed because now the bed is permenant. You also get MORE storage underneath the benches and also under the bed.

Here s a link to my renovation:

My 1991 Scamp renovation
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #16

Name: carrie
Trailer: in the market
New York
Don't rule out the toilet chair mod. You can even have two for a dinette : )

Old 04-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #17

Name: carrie
Trailer: in the market
New York
That looks great Kevin Scamps , all these front dinettes are an inspiration!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
On the full time bed mattress, I saw a custom ordered normal mattress on rear dinette bed that had seam that allowed ends to be folded up easily for access to storage under seats. Normal home bed mattress but in three connected sections.

One can sleep on those cushions, comfort wise they are not the greatest, beat the heck out of on a backpacking pad on the ground in a tent by a lot but there is room for improvement no doubt.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Not sure I want to lose the storage spot for a porta pottie under the middle of the couch is the only reason I hesitate.
Roger,

That's why this mod has been on my "maybe list" for some 10 years or better. I don't store the PP under the couch but rather under the permanent rear bed. I do have other things stored under the couch and not sure where I'd put them if I did the mod.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #20

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Roger,

That's why this mod has been on my "maybe list" for some 10 years or better. I don't store the PP under the couch but rather under the permanent rear bed. I do have other things stored under the couch and not sure where I'd put them if I did the mod.
What you do is raise the bench several inches and gain a bunch more storage on each side. Mine went up about 3 inches and easily could have done more, if storage was an issue.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #21

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscarried View Post
Don't rule out the toilet chair mod. You can even have two for a dinette : )

I actually seriously considered something similar using a composting toilet. They are really pricey and I wasn't sure how much utility it would really add. Not to mention the awkwardness. On the plus side I could eat and poop at the same time which seems very efficient.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #22

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Roger,

Well if you have been thinking on it for 10 years I feel better in not reaching a decision in the last couple. Small space utilization does require thought.

We use our Scamp as a hard sided tent, our camping equipment is stored under the rear dinette. Stove, fuel, kitchen stuff, axe, all that stuff. Dinette stays a bed full time, have to admit have not tried this for long trips.

I noticed in the pictures that as Kevin says his mod made the seats taller which made that storage space more useful than the shallow stock space.

Got me thinking that on at least one modification I saw the porta potti built into a box seat. Seat top flipped open, top half of front flipped down to access potti.

Putting potti on the riser seems like it might be a more comfortable height. Under a taller front dinette seat such as Kevin built might just work for this approach. Totally hidden but always available without moving it.

For myself storage for some camping items just being transported in the camper could go under the front table. Not all but at least some. Most of that stuff gets set up outside as soon as we arrive.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #23

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
There is a recent thread that shows how to mod the front bench if the floor does not go all the way under the bench. It also include a potti, sans potpourri.
There's a hole in my Boler my Boler my Boler
Old 04-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #24

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I've had Scamps as early as 1973 (71 being the first year they were made) and they were all like the one pictured in my previous post, which was a 1978... AFAIR.
The earliest Scamp may have been a 1972. Evelands started making the boler American in late 1971 till mid 1972. The boler American has the raised floor under the bench all the way across. I assume the first Scamps would have used the same configuration modifying the frame for the floor later on.
Egg History- Boler descendants
Old 04-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #25

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
The earliest Scamp may have been a 1972. Evelands started making the boler American in late 1971 till mid 1972. The boler American has the raised floor under the bench all the way across. I assume the first Scamps would have used the same configuration modifying the frame for the floor later on.
Egg History- Boler descendants
Your information doesn't match mine, but not only has it changed from source to source but also from year to year. Even different folks at Scamp aren't sure on a lot of their own history.
We may differ on conclusions, but maybe it's fair to say....
Attached Thumbnails
mystery.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #26

Ontario
Here's a hint floyd. In the history through various sources, Evelands says they've been making trailers since 1971. I propose that covers the period making the boler American and the period when they had a "name problem" and called their trailers the Acorn for a little while. The rest of the time, they've been making the Scamp.

The real mystery is who else had the American manufacturing rights for the bolers back in the early days. I've got the central states figured out but the coasts are what eludes documentation. I was hoping Mrs. Dusa might have been able to give us some insight when she appeared in the forums last year.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #27

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
front dinnette install

How are people installing the front dinette mounting without going through the side wall?

How do people mount the bases?
Old 04-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #28

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Here's a hint floyd. In the history through various sources, Evelands says they've been making trailers since 1971. I propose that covers the period making the boler American and the period when they had a "name problem" and called their trailers the Acorn for a little while. The rest of the time, they've been making the Scamp.

The real mystery is who else had the American manufacturing rights for the bolers back in the early days. I've got the central states figured out but the coasts are what eludes documentation. I was hoping Mrs. Dusa might have been able to give us some insight when she appeared in the forums last year.
Just not how I've heard it for ten years. I don't think they ever made a complete trailer with the Boler name on it. They started out intending to build parts on contract then bought the Scamp name and molds from a start-up in Iowa pretty much right away. At any rate, I don't think there was ever a Scamp13 with a raised floor all the way across the front bench area.(which was the point of the comment.)

Tags
scamp