Scamp Remod story - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
Name: matt
Trailer: 1995 16' Scamp
structural component

Hi Bryan,

I also was/am concerned about maintaining a structural component to support the roof and side wall after removing the bathroom. This is part of the reason I built the wooden support that goes from ceiling to floor to cover the end of the cabinets. It is made of 3/4" plywood, so is sturdy. It also fits fairly tightly and I tied it into the wall and ceiling with some screws from the outside. I have seen these sorts of supports/covers in pictures of other scamps, but they look like they are made of white plastic.

I am no expert, but after some research and deduction, it seems like the cabinet near the door is much more important for maintaining structure than the bathroom cabinet is. That makes sense since it is next to a gaping hole in the side of the fiberglass structure (the door). It also has that metal brace at the top of the cabinet, which I'm sure is important for structural integrity. Also, if you look at the scamp layouts from our friends in Backus, all of the layouts have the cabinet near the door. Layout #3, however, has a bunk and no bathroom closet - only a table where the closet would go. Thus, layout #3 doesn't seem to have any support for the ceiling on the bathroom side, unless there is something next to the cabinet, like I made. So....after seeing layout #3, I figured I'd be OK to take out the bathroom closet. I hope I'm right! I'll let you know if I notice any sag or deflation.

Thanks for all of the positive comments....whew, there were some days when I was wondering what I had gotten myself into! But there is light at the end of the tunnel - perhaps my story will encourage others who are in the middle of a long project. My wife calls it my $20,000 scamp. It didn't really cost anything near that much, but they know me by name at the hardware store. Oh, and I did finally get that marker light fixed!

msolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Nice work Matt. Wish I had those wood working skills. The spot where the bathroom came out would be crying out to me to fill with some additional storage cabinets. GREAT idea by the way to take the rat fur off and have it cleaned by a pro so you could reuse it - would never have thought of that!!!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
Name: matt
Trailer: 1995 16' Scamp

Hi Bryan,

that step where the bathroom used to be is part of the structure of the trailer. I cut off as much as possible of the 3/4' plyboard that made up the floor of the bathroom to make more floor space in the "lower" floor of the scamp. If you have a bathroom in that area you will notice that the floor of the bath extends pretty far over the lower floor and there is just an open space under there.

Cabinets in that space is a great idea. I think I'll live with it for a bit before doing anything else.

msolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Interesting about the supports being diffent on both sides of the trailer. I'm glad that you got it all figured out! Thanks for the update. With two smaller boys, I would sure miss our bathroom so it will have to stay in ours.

"The babbling that I brook." - Pink Floyd

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is online now   Reply With Quote