Well.... now I had to get a plan. I was sort of bored with the all white & brown interior. So I started painting
some of the fiberglass furniture with spray paint
from Lowes - after scuffing up the gel coat a bit. It looks pretty good. After the paint
cured it bonded pretty well to the gelcoat too. It may show some wear over time, but for now it looks good.
I also wanted better lighting
so I put in some wiring for overhead LED lights
. I also placed some additional wires in for a future rooftop fan vent. I glued the rat fur back up, and it looked great. No old camper smells!!! I also installed the overhead LED lights
. They have both white & red light
settings, which will be nice when someone needs to get up at night or if we are stargazing and want to maintain our night vision. I put another LED over the cooking area.
I had some new tires
installed and installed an electric brake controlled in our '96 sienna.
The bunk bed had been taken out of the scamp before I bought it. Since I have 2 kids, we need the bunks. However, by this time I was pretty tired of scamp repair and my wife was accusing me of having a new girlfriend. So, I just called up my friends in Backus, and they sent me new cushions and a bunk. Installing that bunk was the easiest part of this whole ordeal.
For some reason there is a cutout on the bottom left side of the front couch/bunk. My dad & I tried to re-fiberglass it, but it was too cold over christmas and it turned out that the hardener I bought was bad anyway. We made a BIG mess. I ended up just making a little door for that cutout and it looks great. Also, since I removed the bathroom, the side of the cooking counter area was exposed. So I made a wooden cover for it out of 3/4 in oak plywood. I made the cover so that it would provide some extra support for the roof. That was kind of fun.
I installed all new cabinet doors and made a new table top - oak plywood stained with minwax gunstock color stain.
Since the floor was a bit uneven, I figured that if I tried to install regular wood flooring, it might start peeling up over time. I also didn't want carpet. I ended up putting in 1/4 in birch plywood. I think it looks great (so does my wife - she looks great, that is
). It was also cheap. I think it cost me $40 + $20 for the sealer.
So....that's my story. I'm sure I left a few things out, but that is close to complete. We're heading out to White Sands, NM and then to Gila National Forest next week for the maiden voyage.
Thanks to everyone on this sight. I've been following it through this entire remod, and I found a lot of helpful tips here. I hope my experience can be helpful to someone else.
See you at the campsite! happy trails......