Scamp Replacement a Digital Thermostat - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #29
Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
I installed a digital T stat . I took it out of the bed which never made any sense and moved it right above the light next to my sink and have it wired "residential" so that it controls the heat and the AC. Works awesomely

cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:17 AM   #30
Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16, 1983
Ok. All this digital analog discussion got me curious so I went out to the Trash Panda and took a pic of the guts of the old style thermostat

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1460196417.164763.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  13.7 KB
This is the epitome of an analog device. Yes the output is digital, as the whole point of the exercise is to control a switch, but the input could not be more analog. The black coil in the center is a coiled bi-metallic strip that expands and contracts with changing temperature. One end is anchored to the temp adjusting arm axle, the other has the electrical contact. Moving the adjusting arm (slider) rotates the whole coil, changing the distance between the coil contact and the fixed contact thereby changing the temperature (measured by coil expansion) at which the contacts close. The "sproing" mentioned earlier is caused by the magnet on the fixed contact which makes sure the contact closes and stays closed. It pulls the moving contact suddenly in whe it gets about 1/32" away, bouncing the coil with its little signature "sproing"
So to sum up, there are exactly zero electronics in this thing. The input, temperature measurement and switch control is purely mechanical, which is by any definition analog. Just my $2.50. 'Cause engineers get more than $0.02.
Doug Griggs
83 Scamp 16
"Trash Panda"

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

dbdbgriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:23 AM   #31
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Just to stir the pot....

-digital circuits were also called switching circuits at one point and light switches used to illustrate some of the basic circuits.

-the bimetalic spring that controls a thermostats output is continuous, a common characteristic of analog.

-the thermistors in the electronic thermostat are also continuous, being an analog component.

-with the exception of perhaps a calculator, most devices with digital readouts are not any more accurate than if the display were analog. It just seems that they are because you read a number ; no interpolation is needed.

Raz is online now   Reply With Quote