Scamp Replacement a Digital Thermostat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Scamp Replacement a Digital Thermostat

We ordered our new scamp and pick it up in May. I noticed they have a digital heat only thermostat in the parts store. Is anyone aware if this is the normal install item now or just a parts store upgrade? Also if this is an upgrade can Scamp just install with new build?

Thanks
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #2

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
The thermostat now is digital. Don't know precisely when the switch was made but it has been for some time now.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1763.jpg  
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:59 PM   #3

Name: Scott
Ohio
Scamp Thermostat

Thanks for the quick reply! That was the picture I was searching for!

Scott
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16, 1983
Maryland
Does anyone know if the digital will work with older heaters? Mine is '83 like my scamp I think.
Thanks
Doug Griggs
83 Scamp 16'
"Trash Panda"

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
dbdbgriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:01 PM   #5

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
2014 Scamp came with analog thermostat.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #6

Registry
I wonder what an analog thermostat is?
Thermostats are on or devices. In this case when the temperature is low enouogh it turns on the furnace and the furnace off when the temperature reaches the high temperature point. Both the older thermostat and new one dose exactly the same thing. With one exception the one with the digital readout requires a battery. Read more about the digital version here.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:26 PM   #7

Registry
As far as an "analog thermostat" goes it would be possible for a furnace and analog thermostat to work together. However it would take a furnace that the heat out put could be changed to some value other then heat or no heat.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Byron, I think you're splitting hairs here... How would you describe the difference- mechanical vs. electronic?

On the old thermostat you adjust the heat point by sliding a lever. Not very accurate and hard to fine-tune. On the new you adjust the heat point by pushing buttons on an electronic digital display. Seems like a nice upgrade on Scamp's part, depending on the accuracy of the thermometer, of course, and a working battery.

I do wish Scamp would come up with a better place to mount it, though. It's still vulnerable to getting whacked when moving cushions to convert the dinette, as well as by people using the bed or dinette.

I believe the new style will work with an old furnace just fine. As far as I know all thermostats do exactly the same thing: send a small electrical impulse to the furnace telling it to turn on. No need to get one from Scamp- your local hardware store is just as good. You can even get the old mechanical style if you prefer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have to agree with Byron . A thermostat whether mechanical or electronic does one thing , turn the furnace on or off . Both are basically thermally controlled single pole switches.
A Honeywell T87 and Honeywell's fancy ,electronic , expensive thermostat have the same degree of accuracy .
People have come to believe that everything has to have an LED display / computer in order to be any good.
The problem in our trailers when it comes to uneven temperatures
has more to do with trailer layout , thermostat location and furnace location . Putting a $100 thermostat in a trailer is not going to solve that issue.
I have to admit the thermostat's LED display makes a nice nightlight.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
At the end of this, I have a link to my personal installation I did myself. With this installation, the original idea came off the Casita site...dont remember the name..I think it's on my Flickr link below.

I think the confusion between "analog" and "digital" should possibly be reworded and compared as "mechanical" to "electronic".

I installed a $25 Hunter to my 2010 Scamp. I did not get the furnace...still wouldnt. But my Coleman A/C has the heat unit. This setup works off a relay tripped by my thermostat. I also have a 120v plug attached and run a small cheap floor heater via the thermostat (but not at the same time!).

People can argue all they want, I can hold my 13' Scamp within ONE degree if desirable. But there's ONE secret to this that I have not found mentioned anywhere else. Steve makes mention of this and that's the effectiveness of the (or ANY) thermostat! Its default location at the end of the cabinet is a "Dead air" area. I found this out the hard way with my Hunter when it TOO was varying 10-15 deg when testing!!

The answer? I put a small micro fan inside the thermostat which circulates the air through it that other wise was flowing over the top of it down into the cushions. This is now how I can vary my temps (hot or cold) within 1 deg. The Hunter has 3 settings that lets you vary the difference you desire with up to 3 deg difference between cycles if you want. Hunter calls the setting: Span 1, 2, & 3.

This link to my installation shows how I installed the fan and it has worked for the past 5 yrs without ONE problem. Honestly, I can say the temp in my Scamp is more comfortable than my house. Sorry I just sleep better in a cool environment with my asthma.

The only thing with this installation, it shuts the entire unit down (fan and compressor) between cycles. My home central unit does the same. This is actually a very simple concept. Oh..I like the Indigo light at night. I can roll over and easily adjust the temp 1 deg at a time and/or look at the time. :-)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57626806751813
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #11

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
The thermostat is just a switch. +side for digital is that it's more accurate. +side for analog is that it has no battery to die .
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't need the thermostat to tell me the temperature. If I am cold, I turn it up.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #13

My Hunter runs on 2 AA batteries. Since I only use the themostat when camping, I have ran those batteries for 5 yrs. I always carry spares though. The unit pulls VERY little current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
The thermostat is just a switch. +side for digital is that it's more accurate. +side for analog is that it has no battery to die .
Old 04-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
My issue with the basic mechanical thermostat in my Scamp is that all the adjustment between no heat and too much heat takes place in the bottom 1/4" of movement of the adjustment lever. It's really hard to fine tune.

But perhaps it's not the fault of the thermostat- a powerful heat source in a very small space is going to be hard to regulate.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #15

A good way to test it is, if you could take a small - say 4" fan- and have it blow somewhere near the thermostat or towards it, then you might see a TOTALLY different outcome. Just guessing but I've heard alot of bad things about trying to regulate those furnaces. BUT, I also have the heatstrip on my Coleman and it too varied GREATLY before the digital thermostat and it's a roof unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
My issue with the basic mechanical thermostat in my Scamp is that all the adjustment between no heat and too much heat takes place in the bottom 1/4" of movement of the adjustment lever. It's really hard to fine tune.

But perhaps it's not the fault of the thermostat- a powerful heat source in a very small space is going to be hard to regulate.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can hardly wait to change the manual thermostat to a digital in my trailer! First I just about break my thumb turning the dang thing on, second trying to figure out where 65 degrees is on the "bars" is impossible and third the manual thermostat is noisy! The dang spring loudly goes "sprong!" when turning the furnace on.. and it's not defective. So, the digital requires a battery... one AA battery a year isn't going to break the bank.

YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Byron, I think you're splitting hairs here... How would you describe the difference- mechanical vs. electronic?
My question was "what is an analog thermostat?" The so called analog thermostat is technically a digital device since it's output is a 2 states and only 2 states output (on or off). Analog devices have an infinite number of output states. There are many devices that have analog to digital capabilities with the output being digital such as a digital volt meter. (Analog input and digital output). Each segment of the "digital" display is either on or off.

However the temperature control in automobile is more analog since it controls the amount of hot mixed with cold air to determine the temperature of the air coming out vents. NOTE: older vehicles provided control over the amount of hot water going through the heater core.

The answer to your question about splitting hairs, I don't think so.

When it comes down, you can't really control the temperature in these small trailers like you can in your house. If you open all the windows and doors then try to control the temperature in your house you couldn't control it at a nice even temperature. For one thing the temperature gradients to much for it to handle.

I'm with Glen if it too cold I turn it up, if it too hot I turn it down. The thermostat is NOT that far away.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #18

Obviously you didnt agree with my post that I'm more comfy in my trailer than house. But it's true with this Hunter. You may not believe me, but it doesnt change what I've proven for the past 5 yrs.

As always in arguments with you and Glenn.... just because it doesnt matter to yall, doesnt mean it doesnt matter to others..myself included. I'm glad I found a nice solution. I'm not a boondocker but you already know that.

[QUOTE=Byron Kinnaman;580035]

When it comes down, you can't really control the temperature in these small trailers like you can in your house. If you open all the windows and doors then try to control the temperature in your house you couldn't control it at a nice even temperature. For one thing the temperature gradients to much for it to handle.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Most human beings cannot sense a variation in temperature of less than 2 degrees + or - . Even if a electronic thermostat is accurate to a one degree swing in temperature + or - you will neve know the difference
Many mechanical stats are accurate to + or -- 1 1/2 degrees .
Splitting hairs ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #20

I LOVE the temperature of my comfortable Scamp splitting hairs. I didnt know what it was called until today....but I'm sure glad I split'em!

One problem I DIDNT mention was "humidity". After the compressor would kick off on my Coleman, it would get very humid (i live in the southeast) before it would kick on again. Some say I may could have put a drain to get the water out of the unit? Dunno... but when I got the unit shutting down completely, the humidity went away. So here's to me and MY "Digi"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Most human beings cannot sense a variation in temperature of less than 2 degrees + or - . Even if a electronic thermostat is accurate to a one degree swing in temperature + or - you will neve know the difference
Many mechanical stats are accurate to + or -- 1 1/2 degrees .
Splitting hairs ?

Tags
scamp