Scamp Screen on a Boler? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #1

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Scamp Screen on a Boler?

Hello folks! Can I install a Scamp screen door on my 13'Boler? Easy, complicated, been done before? Looks like it may fit!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:32 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsky View Post
Hello folks! Can I install a Scamp screen door on my 13'Boler? Easy, complicated, been done before? Looks like it may fit!
The older bi-fold screen door or the newer Plisse door?

For the later, see http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-79307.html

Might also find some help with https://www.google.com/search?q=scam...berglassrv.com
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:32 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Since 2007, Scamp 13's have a taller door. It's doubtful anything made to fit a newer Scamp would fit a Boler.

The old bi-fold design was made from common hardware store bits and pieces. It would not be difficult to reproduce as a DIY.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #4

Ontario
Registry
Screen door

Do you think it would be possible to just order an old style screen system from Scamp or DIY project for me? Would have to fold back on closet side, of course...
Old 06-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #5

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Check this out:
Door Holder
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #6

Ontario
Registry
Screen Door

Oh yes, I do remember seeing this a while ago. Thanks for the reminder! I would have to modify for a bifold, as too much room would be taken up by a one-piece door. I saw a posting somewhere of actual measurements of all the components but I think it best to measure on an individual basis!
Old 06-19-2018, 06:07 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Since 2007, Scamp 13's have a taller door. It's doubtful anything made to fit a newer Scamp would fit a Boler.

The old bi-fold design was made from common hardware store bits and pieces. It would not be difficult to reproduce as a DIY.
The new Scamp screen door is made by Plisse. If you have a square frame (or will build one) and a little extra money, it does appear that Plisse screen door can be made to most any (reasonable) size if you order from Plisse and not from Scamp. Its not cheap but its nice. I think the video I posted in the thread I first mentioned shows it well. If you don't want to spend that much money perhaps a hanging screen with magnet closure will suffice (while not being as bug-proof).

You can call Plisse for more info or look at their website.

I wonder how the retracted size compares to the bi-fold. My Plisse screen door when opened it just a hair under three inches on one side and 1/2 inch on the other.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
For a quick, cheap but relatively effective fix, we used MagicMesh I got on ebay for $7.98 including free shipping from the USA. (The door probably isn't made in the US). It has been in Peanut and doing well for two years. We just redid our doggy gate as the girls figured out how to open the old one...so we needed to rethink the screen as well, and I had made some mods to the original one that aren't that great.
I put the magnets on the outside, sewing a closed seam down the middle. I won't do that again.

I liked that the MagicMesh on ebay can be found in several colors. I'll sew "sew-on" Velcro onto the sides and top, and staple "sew-on" Velcro to the door frame this time.

For $7.98 it can hardly get cheaper...it is surprisingly durable and if we had used it at Farewell Springs we wouldn't have been swarmed with killer moths. But I was sick that afternoon and between us neither even remembered we had it on there. I know--kinda stupid of us.

Paul says we have "everything" we need, but we forget what we have. We need a printed inventory to check when we have a "need."

Anyway, been watching online reviews of cheap magnetic mesh screen doors...MagicMesh isn't the very best, but it's not the worst, either, came in at #2 in one video, and at $7.98, wow. The BugOff is a nice door in some ways, but the overlap isn't tight enough and the price, $59.98 is steep for such a thing.

Now, if you're going to build or buy a "hardware" type door, then I admire your taste and equipment...but this might help while you're getting around to the better one. Ours will be easily removable this time, not unlike the picnic table cloth. We don't have much room by the door and can use all the clearance we can get.

BEST
Kai

Tags
boler, scamp