Scamp Sink Removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #1

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
Scamp Sink Removal

Been camping in our 2003 Scamp 16' side bath for 2 weeks now, and I have one little complaint: the bathroom! It is little. Tiny. Minuscule. I'm a little over 6' and 190lbs. I don't enter the bathroom, I put it on like a space suit. It is almost impossible to turn around in there, so I back in, already in a stooped position because the curvature of the trailer reduces head room to pygmy size, sinking slowly and carefully onto the throne while dragging my legs inside so the door can be closed.

What I'm thinking is that the sink takes up a lot of room to offer a finger bowl for washing. The kitchen sink is better for all sink like actions. I'm thinking that removing the bathroom sink would make a world of difference. Or at least a little difference. It looks pretty simple: plug hoses and disconnect them from sink, unscrew sink from wall, touch up holes left by screws. I'm sure somebody has done this...my question is whether there are any potential problems not readily apparent to the untrained eye?
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You won't have the sink to grab to get on and off the throne.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #3

Arizona
True! However, it's kind of hard to fall completely down as one's knees hit a wall while one's bottom hits the other. I could become so lodged in the bathroom that they would have to cut me out!
Old 12-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
... I don't enter the bathroom, I put it on like a space suit. It is almost impossible to turn around in there, so I back in, already in a stooped position because the curvature of the trailer reduces head room to pygmy size, sinking slowly and carefully onto the throne while dragging my legs inside so the door can be closed.

LMAO.. well written and very entertaining.
And how true.. I do the same except I leave one leg outside the door.. so the door is open. And that rather negates the reason for having the door at all.

While I don't have the bathroom sink.. I agree that the kitchen sink works fine. So remove the bathroom sink and cap the lines.. I cannot imagine any issues you might have.

I did see one post from a camper who was concerned about cross contamination from using the same sink for washing as preparing meals. Pretty sure that person was never a tent camper, and even calling him or her a camper at all might be a stretch.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
Been camping in our 2003 Scamp 16' side bath for 2 weeks now, and I have one little complaint: the bathroom! It is little. Tiny. Minuscule. I'm a little over 6' and 190lbs. I don't enter the bathroom, I put it on like a space suit. It is almost impossible to turn around in there, so I back in, already in a stooped position because the curvature of the trailer reduces head room to pygmy size, sinking slowly and carefully onto the throne while dragging my legs inside so the door can be closed.

What I'm thinking is that the sink takes up a lot of room to offer a finger bowl for washing. The kitchen sink is better for all sink like actions. I'm thinking that removing the bathroom sink would make a world of difference. Or at least a little difference. It looks pretty simple: plug hoses and disconnect them from sink, unscrew sink from wall, touch up holes left by screws. I'm sure somebody has done this...my question is whether there are any potential problems not readily apparent to the untrained eye?
No problem removing the sink,it was an option anyway. I have a smallish friend who expanded the bathroom toward the front of the trailer from about thigh high up.
He can still lay on the couch. It has worked well for him. If you did his mod you could reinstall the sink in the recessed area.
I am somewhat larger than you and I have a prefire 13 with a front bath and a sink. I have all the room I need and the sink is very handy when boondocking, to conserve water while showering.

Note to all who are not already aware... The front bath is much more spacious and useable.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #6

Arizona
Thanks Guys! Sounds like a good weekend project. Going to be nasty weather here this weekend anyway, so a quick trip to the hardware store and I'll be set with something to do indoors.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:41 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
This thread gave me a good laugh
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with PAM, laughing all the way.... make your trailer your own! I really don't care if you wash your hands in the kitchen sink or use something like a Purll product. Honest.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking Eggs, planes and automobiles

Manufacturers of the subject items have to deal with people getting larger. If you tour old castles in Europe, you will find doorways and such much smaller than is easy for modern day people to walk through. My Grandfather was about 68" tall. My Dad was 70" tall. I am just under 72" and two of our sons are 74".

We will not discuss other weighty issues.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #10

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Since our 2016, 1973 amerigo retro-look FG-16 had to be entirely gutted, we've been drawing out floor plans for months, wondering if the original bathroom area is big enough--and big enough for what. It was originally a closet...the first mod we made was to remove the door. Since then, we've considered using some kind of curtain instead, since our legs and feet can then stick out while preserving some semblance of privacy...but have been wondering how exactly to hold the portapotty inside the room. Your post was not only funny, it was pertinent as well. I've been devising all these ideas about how to save water, have some kind of gray water catcher, run hoses where no hoses had gone before...considered curtains, towels, even a Mexican wrap skirt thing for privacy as well as some kind of color...our beach towels seem like they'd be kind of cool...

What do you "need," what do you "want," what will fit--myself, I'm horizontally gifted, vertically challenged, and after drawing up some lovely toilet ideas realized there wasn't room for the horizontal portion of the situation, so back to the drawing board.

Always good to find a project for those harsh-weather times!
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:40 AM   #11

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
Hi
We own a 97 scamp 16 ft. The trailer came with no tanks and a porti-potty. We have the couch - bunk beds layout with the small rectangular bath. Since there was no installed toilet, I had choices. I set the stool at about a 30 degree angle on the inside corner near the galley. I installed a 10 gallon black water tank below, I'm 6-1 and 210 lbs. I manage the stool with the door closed. It's tight but do-able with not much effort.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #12

Registry
Hadn't considered going 30 degrees across a corner in the closet, but that's a good idea to draft out and see how it looks...might be just the thing.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #13

Name: Myron
New Mexico
Registry
My old 16 ft Scamp only had a Porta Potty but there was a swell sink. When I began to rip out all the rot I found behind and below that sink (probably from the window) the entire counter top curb side became history. I replaced the sink with a side dinette.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:52 PM   #14

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I do agree with you on the useless sink in Scamp bathroom mine is a front bathroom and a useless sink too. Another example of something don't use other than to shave once in a blue moon. I'm over 6 ft too.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #15

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you Sands for your comical way of writing. I don't have a bathroom in my Scamp, I just fall down on the porta Pottie. Especially after a few beers. But your post made me laugh on this frigid winters night in Buffalo, and so I say get rid of the sink in the bathroom and wash your grubby hands in the regular sink! Oh my gosh, can't imagine worrying about cleaning up potty hands in the sink and/or contamination issues. While camping? Lord what'll they worry about next.

Thanks again. You're a great writer. You might wanna look I to writing comedic camping adventures. You'd make a pile of dough, and then you could build bathroom castles in the air with all your book profits. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I recently installed a grab handle just inside the door of the bath. It is a great addition that aids entering and exiting the side bath/closet.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
I recently installed a grab handle just inside the door of the bath. It is a great addition that aids entering and exiting the side bath/closet.
Eddie
Hey, Eddie,
A grab handle...another good idea. Been wondering if the uprights are strong enough to take any weight/pressure on a grab handle; we need a new one outside (it's missing) and could use one inside the bathroom doorway as well...
It'd help a lot with navigating the small spaces...

Tags
scamp