Scamp stereo? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #1

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Scamp stereo?

Is the Scamp 16 wired for sound? I will be full timing in mine and want music with speakers etc. I see no mention of it in any of the option lists.

I am buying a 2009 scamp 16 and figured I would just go get an automotive stereo and build it in.

Has anyone done this?
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I've been looking at automotive stereos and also under the counter
kitchen radios. But haven't found what rings my bell yet. Guess I'll
have to figure a way to build something in like you.

I'm sure others have done this. And I would also like a way to plug
the T.V. sound into it as an amplifier. Many of our DVD's are impossible
to hear for some reason.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Is the Scamp 16 wired for sound? I will be full timing in mine and want music with speakers etc. I see no mention of it in any of the option lists.

I am buying a 2009 scamp 16 and figured I would just go get an automotive stereo and build it in.

Has anyone done this?
Any car stereo would work well, since you will listen only when parked and CD readover is not an issue.
You can buy a complete radioAM/FM/CD/USB/IPOD outlet, for $59 at WalMart. I put one in my Falcon and it works great!
One point...If you plan to have a DVD player, don't forget that it will play CDs as well.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
my stereo location

Look at post #11 on this page:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ons-25531.html

I found it a very reasonable place to cut holes for a car stereo.
Nothing else to do with that space in my case
Thomas Haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Tunes for the trailer

I got a pair of amplified speakers from Amazon that i can plug the IPhone or computer into and have thousands of tunes or plug in the TV when I want big sound.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'd like a good set of external speakers so I can play an endless loop of recorded generator noise.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #7

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I'd like a good set of external speakers so I can play an endless loop of recorded generator noise.
How 'bout I just park next yo you and run mine?

Jus kiddin, I don't have one
Old 07-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
My last camper had an AM/FM stereo with ext jacks and speakers on the outside with locked door (ha) access. I might do that again as its nice to listen while parked under an awning sipping a lone star. The head was removable which did help somewhat.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #9

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
My last camper had an AM/FM stereo with ext jacks and speakers on the outside with locked door (ha) access. I might do that again as its nice to listen while parked under an awning sipping a lone star. The head was removable which did help somewhat.
I thought you just blew the head off before taking a sip?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I had installed a car radio/cassette player in our previous 13' Scamp in the farthest corner of the overhead cabinet over the table (almost unusable space) with speakers mounted facing downward in each corner of the cabinet. I used one of those radio wire antennas taped inside the same cabinet (worked well).
In our present 13' Scamp I had installed a wire shelf over the dinette/bed and just take our home "boom box" style X-M radio and set it on the shelf. The faceplate goes in our tow vehicle for music on the road, in the boom box for music in the Scamp or in our home (works on 110 volt or 12 volts). I did find that the fiberglass/reflective insulation blocks the signal, so the antenna had to be placed within our escape hatch between the screen and the cover (closed or open works). There is also input jacks on the boom box to be able to plug in whatever music source you would like. I feel this set-up works better for us, as most of the time we camp off the grid and where normal radio signals are either very scarce or not at all. X-M works all the time for us.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #11

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
I thought you just blew the head off before taking a sip?
NICE COME BACK I LIKE THAT. I put my noun before my predicate adjective which left a dangling participle.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 07-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I went with a good compact mp3 speaker system that I can take outside. Found in the past that with a permanent system in the trailer one needs to turn it up much louder than I would like (neighbours would probable hear it as well) when sitting outside to hear. Some of the better MP3 speaker systems are blue tooth and have 12 volt adapters as well as a USB connection so they can be used with a TV/DVD system as extra speakers. An MP3 player is a big space saver in the trailer and car - no need to carry CD's.

A good small portable radio (although getting hard to find- Sony still makes one) works well as it can moved around the trailer to find the best reception.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #13

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post

NICE COME BACK I LIKE THAT. I put my noun before my predicate adjective which left a dangling participle.
Rotfl. Don't you just hate those dangling participles?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #14

Alabama
I'm going to have to put some thought into this. I use my tablet or my cell phone as my mp3 player with a pair of headphones. so I don't have a dedicated mp3 player. And I don't particularly want to leave my cell phone or my tablet laying around outside. just a little too tempting. I will probably go with some kind of plug that I can plug a set of speakers into. or use the Bluetooth speakers where it's driven from inside the trailer.
The nice part about modern car stereos is that you can drive it with Bluetooth from your phone or tablet. Bluetooth has serious range problems however. I'm thinking you would need to put the Bluetooth antenna around the passenger side window or something so that it could be used from inside or outside the trailer.
I was hoping someone had already solved these problems.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
How far from the trailer are you planning to take the portable player? Not had any problems getting the blue tooth feature to work but I set the portable player system up right outside the trailer and can leave the phone or MP3 player in the trailer. As far as theft goes its like everything else - just dont leave items of value outside when you are not there to watch them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #16

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
So far I am radioless but very interested in what others have used. Does anyone have suggestion for "NOAA" weather alerts radio wise? We got caught in a really bad storm in WY, sirens & all.
We here in CA prefer earthquakes - no pre-event jitters, just the shakes during.
Elaine
partslady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #17

Texas
My Android smartphone app sends me advisories based upon where I am and beeps my phone. That might be one solution. Also has a real time radar screen showing down to street level the activities. I Like the radar so that I can see when the storms are heading my way and I can picture them all around me.
go to the app store and look for intellicast

Another just for radar is called Radar Now and a good free app.
If you Rest, You Rust

Tags
scamp