Scamp Table - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Kevin,

I used two full extension drawer slides that pull out to support the outer half.

Ron
How does the support leg work in your modification? It seems like it would be too long to fold under half the length of the table. How long is your table? It appears slightly longer than the stock model.

Thanks,

David

Old 12-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #16

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Good eye

The support leg was cut. The length was determined by the width of the top. I still wanted it to operate "normally". The cut off piece had a sleeve installed on it. It is slipped on when the table is in the raised position. In the construction photos you can see the length of the leg and the piece with the green tape is the sleeved part. Quick and simple.

I contemplated making the table a little longer to make the bed a little wider but didn't. It's the same overall length as the Scamp, 42". It could well have been a few inches longer as "sqeezeing by" when it's in the folding position wouldn't be an issue.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
04-12-2011 2-53-00 PM  001_resize.JPG   04-12-2011 2-53-01 PM  003_resize.JPG  

Old 12-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #17

Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
table leg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
How does the support leg work in your modification? It seems like it would be too long to fold under half the length of the table. How long is your table? It appears slightly longer than the stock model.

Thanks,

David
I was thinking that a leg formed in the shape of an x might work for a support of the extension piece of the top. the top of one leg of the x would be on the extension, and the other top of the x under the primary top. Getting the x to fold and be short enough to fit under the primary could get interesting! The use of soss hinges that are used on the edge, and are concealed allowing the tops to have a tight edge contact with no hinge showing, would be nice! I love this style of table!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Folding Table Extended

We also use the drawer slides, but they are not stiff enough for us. We add a piece of plastic pipe to support the front of the unfolded table, This pipe is not permanently attached to the table. The open end of the pipe slips over a couple of screws, The screws are in the wooden end of the drawer slides.

Our table extends beyond the support sides of the dinette. We use two more shorter plastic pipe pieces to support the table when in the bed position.
Attached Thumbnails
Table Slides.jpg   Table Fully extended.jpg  

Table down for bed.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #19

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Norm,

It looks like we both used drawer slides but with a different orientation. Yours appear to installed "flat" while mine are installed "on edge" the same way they would be on a drawer side. I believe they're rated for either 50 or 75# and appear to solidly support the outer half of the table top.

It's almost a moot point for us because we find the half table so convenient we use it that way almost all the time. The only exception seems to be when we flip it down to use it as counter space.

Ron
Old 12-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #20

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
This would solve my husbands rubbing the pin stripes off with his behind not to mention the table does not come out as far as it should to support the edge of the cushions.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Ron and Norm,

Thanks for sharing your table upgrades. Both look like big improvements over the factory table. Ron's drawer slides do look like the way to go. The sleeved leg makes sense as well. We're about to set out on a six-week trip to the TX coast and I'm going to try copying your ideas before we leave. I'll try making the table longer as I don't like the way the cushion caves in when get on and off in the bed position. If that doesn't work for us, I can cut a little off of both sections to get back to the 42".

Keep sharing those great ideas,

David
Old 12-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #22

Florida
Ron, I agree with you. Your solution is substantially stiffer. The reason we did not put ours in that direction was that they would hang down lower and since we rarely extend the table we choose the flat location.

The folded table is a true improvement on many levels. In our previous trailer we simply had a 1/2 table and it met our needs.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #23

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Norm, Just out of curiosity, the drop down of the slides Im guessing are an inch or so, is the table height low enough that that would be a problem? Im still shopping (have my eye on 1 I really like) but I do like the idea that if I fixed the bed into the dinette the short table would make the cabin seem larger, that and I am now playing a mountain dulcimer and need the extra room.

thanks

deryk
Old 12-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #24

Florida
Deryk,
My concern dealt with knees. I never tested it and it's probably not an issue.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #25

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Utah
I absolutely love tis idea! Norm, how long are each of your sections? We need the table to be longer than stock for a wider bed and I might as well keep the support leg stock. And to all of you, is 1/2 inch plywood the best, strongest, lightest thing to use?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #26

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
My Trillium came from the factory with a center table leaf, without which the table is about half size.

I actually sawed the leaf in half again so I have a choice of three table lengths...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #27

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Utah
Francesca, that sounds like a good idea too. I'll have to try to find one. Do you have any pictures handy? What do you do with the leaf when not in use? Thanks for the ideas; I can't wait to get started!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #28

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
When they're not in use, I stow the two leaves behind the dinette back cushions, although there's a place "designed" for the original single leaf on the back wall of the closet. Can't put 'em there since I converted the closet to a shelved pantry!

I don't have any pics of my own table, but here's a link to a thread with some pics that another member took. His table isn't sectioned like mine, but it does show the extending arms mounted to the table underside...those are what makes the table work in different lengths.
See post #5 at this link.

There's also a set of instructions for the removable-leaf version here in the document center that's a good line drawing of the way the convertible version works.
link to doc.

Happy remodeling!

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp