scamp Window progress - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
scamp Window progress

Hi Group!

This morning I installed new plexiglass in the front. the old piece was cracked and scratched, not to mention, the corner radii were cut a little short at some time in the past. I had already finished the new seal in the back window but opted to reuse that piece of plexi. The front got a new seal too.

I also have two side windows resealed. There were no seals on them at all other than some misplaced white silicone that was in the low spot of the frame and did not hit the fiberglass at all.

I am waiting for the new roof vent/escape hatch from Scamp. In the pictures, you will notice some black ooze. That is the butyl strip caulk. I have trimmed it once but it needs it again.

Notice the stainless steel button head hex bolts and neoprene backed washers. Some are filling holes from the front window shield, which I am hoping to find a good used one. Others replace rivets that let go which were attaching the curtain rods inside. Its a lot easier to install these while the windows are out since I don't have help during the day. I also used self locking nuts and installed the gasket washers inside against the elephant skin when properly tightened, will hopefully provide another barrier from the entry of water inside. Overkill? Not considering the work already done to repair the floor because of neglect of PO's.
Attached Thumbnails
IM001545.jpg   IM001546.jpg  

IM001547.jpg   IM001548.jpg  

BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #2

Ohio
Since I posted this earlier, my roof vent/escape hatch came. I removed the old one, enlarged the opening one inch all the way around, fitted the new hatch, drilled holes, applied the butyl strip caulk, and got all of the SS buttonheads w/ washer and nuts except for the hinge side. I am going to need some help with that. Scamp sure has gotten my orders out F-A-S-T.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Mike,
If you can wait till Wed. or later I can help. I have to go and have my back adjusted again Monday.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Since I posted this earlier, my roof vent/escape hatch came. I removed the old one, enlarged the opening one inch all the way around, fitted the new hatch, drilled holes, applied the butyl strip caulk, and got all of the SS buttonheads w/ washer and nuts except for the hinge side. I am going to need some help with that. Scamp sure has gotten my orders out F-A-S-T.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #4

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Mike,
If you can wait till Wed. or later I can help. I have to go and have my back adjusted again Monday.

Bill K
Hi Bill
That's very kind of you to offer but the wife helped me this morning. I got it all buttoned up. I sure appreciate the offer though.

Sincerely
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
IM001549.jpg  

Tags
scamp