Scamps Rear Overhead Cabinet in a 1974 Boler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #15

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Hi Jeff et al

Thx for the pix. I ordered front and back for my 1980. Here's hoping they fit.

Gonna be a good project and scamps definitely need the storage.

What does your rear cabinet measure front to back. I'm trying to plan if I can fit a fantastic fan above the dinette once my cabinets arrive.

Thanks !

Old 08-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #16

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1973 boler
Saskatchewan
Jeff--you've been so busy! I hope I get to see your Scamp some day. You've been working on some excellent modifications. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures, especially of the shower system you have worked out.

Lisa

Old 08-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #17

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
It looks like I'll be even busier either making overhead cabinets from scratch or modifying the ones I bought from Scamp!

Whe I first brought the overhead cabinets outside this morning I put both of them together bottom to bottom and found that they have the same shape.

I then used a tripod to hold one of them in position at the front of my 1977 13-foot Scamp. The first picture shows that.

There is a gap at both ends that I can stick my fingers up through. I found that as I roll the cabinet towards each corner the gap closes very nicely. What I think is the problem here is that the curvature of the front of my trailer is flatter that the curve of the cabinet. You can see that in the second picture I took laying on the floor without the front bench installed.

You might also notice that my 1976-78 aluminum front and rear windows may not form a constant curve like a plexiglass window would let the fiberglass form. The center portion that opens is fairly flat and the sides are bent to try to conform with the curvature of the body. I think the aluminum frame makes three flat surfaces instead of a curve.

The only way I see to fix this is to make a template of the actual shape of the walls, shape a piece of MDF board to match, cut away the flange on the overhead cabinet and use the MDF board to creat a new flange which is pretty much like making a mold in this area.

If you think that is bad, the third picture shows the same cabinet barely hanging on the curtain rod hangers at the back of the trailer. The fit isn't even close!

I think I have two front overhead cabinets. This one is too short in length and the curvature of the ends and back is wrong. I think back of the trailer body is flatter than in the front. There is way too much curve in the bottom of the cabinet here.

A little more modification will be required here such a cutting it in half to lengthen it and then reshaping the flange along the bottom to conform to the end curves and back wall.

Yes, I am a little dissapointed but not surprised. These cabinets are made to fit new body molds that were made after the fire destroyed the factory in 2006. Even if I had a rear overhead cabinet it probably would not fit my 1977 shell very well.

My options are to sell the new cabinets and make molds to create fiberglass cabinets that would fit. I could make overhead cabinets out of wood but I really want fiberglass. I think modifying what I have might be easier.

Since it has been a year and crating and shipping is expensive I won't even try to get my money back. I took a chance and it didn't work out perfectly.

I need to refinish the existing fiberglass cabinets as they are kind of beat up after 35 years. I was going to go for an off-white or beige color all around and was going to paint the new Scamp cabinets so they would all match.

Will new Scamp overhead cabinets fit a 1974 Boler? I wouldn't count on it.

At least make sure you are getting one front and one back cabinet. No one said anything about front and back cabinets being different last year. I just told them I need two overhead cabinets and that's what I got.

I have more pictures to post. I just don't have time today. I will try tomorrow to show additional views.

And, for the record, the depth of the cabinet across the bottom is 18.5 inches as seen in the last photo.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8139a.jpg   IMG_8151a.jpg  

IMG_8158a.jpg   IMG_8130a.jpg  

Old 08-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #18

Washington
The flange where the cabinet attaches to the ceiling is 1.25 inches wide so the total depth of the cabinet is 19.75 inches from the back wall to the front of the flange.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8134a.jpg  
Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #19

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Great information. I think cutting and refitting would be much easier than fabricating brand new cabinets.

The measurements are very helpful. I ordered a front and back and hope they work on a 1980 13 foot.

Good luck and I'll look forward to reading about your progress!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #20

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1973 boler
Saskatchewan
Jeff, your pictures and information are exactly what I needed to see. I really appreciate the time you took to share this with us. It definitely looks like you received 2 front cabinets. I'm with Jimbo -- try to make the front cabinet work. Maybe try to sell the other one. I'm sure someone will want to try to make it work on their trailer too. Such a big disappointment. They are so beautiful and shiny. Good luck with this project and all your other ones! Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Jeff, are you going to the Tin Can in September? If so bring one of the cabinets if you wish to sell them off.... you have a very interested party for a front one! :-))

PS you missed a fun time last week-end!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #22

Washington
Yes!!! I forgot you once said you would like a front overhead cabinet.

I will definitely be in Lynden in two weeks and will bring one of the cabinets for you!

I will modify the other one to fit the front of my trailer and make a new rear one.

Looking back, I should have come up to Demming but was going to come up on Saturday morning so one day with everyone just didn't seem worth it. I'll try to make up for it by going to Susan's Tin Can event at the Sons of Norway next year if she does it. Then hopefully another less windy Scramble Eggs meet after that.

See you in Lynden,

Jeff
Old 08-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Jeff, only wonder if it will fit a 92 16' any better .... suppose we will find out soon enough. There will be a couple of other 13's there to sample it on, as well as a few Boler 13's. You might want to talk to Rick (will be at Lynden) about how he built/or had built his trailers rear cabinet - looks really good - seem to think it was made or at least in part with sheet metal painted to look like fiberglass.

Sorry you missed Deming - lots of fun - very hot high 90's in the shade so time spent floating in the river and then all invited to a strangers wedding and danced our flip flops off. Great time, open bar, live band - true story - another very memorably meet which will be relived around the campfire in the years to come! This seems to be the year for those!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #24

Washington
Yes. Hopefully it will fit.

I did not get the doors or hinges with these cabinets. That dropped the price $13.00 off each cabinet.

I will make my own doors. I'm leaning towards solid cherry wood frames and cherry veneer inserts. The fake wood grained vinyl covered particle board doors and table must go!!!!! YUCK!

Great idea of trying it in other trailers such as the Bolers.

I want to see how it fits the front of Brandy's 1977 13-foot Scamp if she is there. It has the plexiglass window instead of the one that opens like mine. She has an original rear overhead cabinet. A picture of it is below.

Detailed pictures will be taken and shared on this site to help others.

I've never looked inside Rick and Helen's blue Boler. I'm hoping that is the correct names of the owners. Is that the one you are suggesting I look at? It sounds interesting.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about Demming. I won't miss it again!

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5755a.jpg  
Old 08-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
No problem re door. Yes the 77 Scamp will be there as will the Blue Boler along with a few others so there will be lots of ages/models to try it out on if it doesnt fit mine.

Tags
boler