Scamps Rear Overhead Cabinet in a 1974 Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
Scamps Rear Overhead Cabinet in a 1974 Boler

Just wondering if anyone has done this modification.

I would like to add the rear Overhead Cabinet to my 1974 Boler.

This cabinet was available in the late 70's Bolers but not in the early to mid 70's models.

Over the past few years I've been watching for a parts Boler to come up with this cabinet, but no such luck.

Scamp Trailers sells the Rear Overhead Cabinet. I was wondering if anyone has bought this cabinet and installed it in their Boler. I have emailed scamp, but I'm not sure if they'd no forsure.

Both trailers are almost identical but Scamp has changed a few things over the years, so I'd hate to by it and not have it fit.

13ft Rear Overhead Cabinet

Thanks
Jayson Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:05 AM   #2

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
Paul Neumeister in canada sells reproduction Boler front/rear upper cabinets painted or bare. not sure where you are located. but that's a good place to start. I have a feeling the scamp ones won't work because they've changed their molds.

Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:24 AM   #3

Thanks!

I'll contact him.

I've also thout about making my own.

Thanks again!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #4

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
I'm not sure about the Boler/Scamp cabinets. I'm pretty sure that the Scamp folks built some of the Boler 'shells' before Boler went out of business, & then continued the same trailers under the Scamp name in the late 70's/early 80's. I have the rear overhead cabinet in my 84 Scamp & was considering adding a front overhead cabinet when I do the 2-person dinette mod. I talked to Paul Neumeister last year about that & he told me then that the Boler cabinets wouldn't fit my Scamp?? I'd thought the shells were probably identical but maybe not... Since I plan to fabricate new wood cabinet doors & front dinette/cabinets, I may be able to figure out how to add an overhead wood cabinet to the front also
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I was going to buy an overhead from Scamp but shipping was the killer. They have to overpack because people send them back for small scratches.

As a result I built my own out of 1/4 inch plywood. You can see it at 'Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16 under the Modifications section. It was not too difficult. If you decide to do it I can give some helpful suggestions.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #6

Sarnia, Ontario
I was also going to suggest making one, if you could find one to make a mold of. that's all the guy that paul gets them from has done. ppl also make wooden ones too.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #7

Sarnia, Ontario
Harvey, why don't you just make a mold of the rear one you have? that is what I'd like to do in the future, My 81 has a rear upper cabinet but not the front. So was thinking about making a mold and making one myself. Pual is close enough to me it wouldn't be an issue to buy one. but they aren't cheap.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'd say our wooden overhead cabinet cost $20-30 dollars plus my time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #9

Thanks for all the info.

I've thought of making mine own as well.

I heard back from Scamp today, and just as I thought they weren't sure if it would fit as they don't recall selling one to anyone to install in a Boler.

I'm pretty handy and have all the tools and saws to build my own and I like the fact that you did it for $23-$30!!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #10

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
It is nice to see some fiberglass parts listed with pictures on the Scamp web site. I don't think they were there last time I looked which was about a month ago.

I called them a year ago to buy front and rear overhead cabinets for my 1977 Scamp. Shipping was going to be $300 from MN to WA. Ouch! That literally doubles the price.

Since I was going St. Cloud, MN for a Great Northern Railway Historical Society convention in July I made a side trip to Backus to pick up the cabinets on the way. Backus in about 100 miles due north of St. Cloud.

The savings on shipping paid for half of the gas I burned on that trip. Plus it was a real treat to see the Scamp factory. An almost sleepless night camping nearby the night before due to very aggressive and numerous mosquitoes was the only downside.

I had to give them about a week's notice because they are made to order.

I asked them if they would fit a 1977 Scamp and the parts guy thought they would. I know the new Scamps are 2-inches taller because of new molds that were made after the 2006 fire that destroyed the factory.

I have held them up to where they will be attached and I see some gaps around the curved ends. I have the 1976-1978 front and rear windows that swing out in the middle. I think they are taller than the standard plexiglass windows. I need to remove my curtain rod hangers to get the bottom of the cabinet level. I think the cabinet will mount just above these tall windows. I am going to hang mini-blinds from the cabinets anyway so won't need the curtain rod hangers.

I didn't realize there might be a difference between the front and rear ones. I will find out.

I hope to be mounting those cabinets soon and will post a message with photos about that. I need to get the frame back under the body first. The new axle and grey water tank installation are almost done.

The attached pictures show how I brought them home in my 1983 Ranger. I slept on one side and with them on the other. During the day I separated them to keep from scratching them while traveling.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4796a.JPG   IMG_5407a.JPG  

Jeff Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #11

Washington
Here's a web site that shows how one guy made overhead cabinets for his 1979 Boler:

1979 Boler Renovation

You can click on the pictures to make them larger.

Jeff
Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #12

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1973 boler
Saskatchewan
Scamp cabinets installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Richardson View Post
It is nice to see some fiberglass parts listed with pictures on the Scamp web site. I don't think they were there last time I looked which was about a month ago.

I called them a year ago to buy front and rear overhead cabinets for my 1977 Scamp. Shipping was going to be $300 from MN to WA. Ouch! That literally doubles the price.

I asked them if they would fit a 1977 Scamp and the parts guy thought they would. I know the new Scamps are 2-inches taller because of new molds that were made after the 2006 fire that destroyed the factory.

I have held them up to where they will be attached and I see some gaps around the curved ends. I have the 1976-1978 front and rear windows that swing out in the middle. I think they are taller than the standard plexiglass windows. I need to remove my curtain rod hangers to get the bottom of the cabinet level. I think the cabinet will mount just above these tall windows. I am going to hang mini-blinds from the cabinets anyway so won't need the curtain rod hangers.

I didn't realize there might be a difference between the front and rear ones. I will find out.

I hope to be mounting those cabinets soon and will post a message with photos about that. I need to get the frame back under the body first. The new axle and grey water tank installation are almost done.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,
I was wondering if you could fill us in on how your installation went. I am planning a trip to South Dakota and thought it would be way cheaper to swing by the Scamp factory in MN to get the front and rear cabinets. I talked to the factory/parts dept today, and I think the cabinets will be too cost prohibitive to send to Canada. I am also checking on having them sent to the UPS Store in Minot, ND, but from the shipping price you were quoted, I'd rather spend that money on gas and see the Scamp in the sky!

I have a 1973 boler. You indicated that there were gaps when you held the cabinets in place. Is this because of your larger windows? I won't be taking my trailer with me, so I can't dry-fit them to check for sizing.

Has anyone put the Scamp front and rear cabinets in an older boler?

I will have to order them this week or next week so that they will be ready for me to pick up. Any advice it appreciated!

Lisa
Lisa bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #13

Washington
Hi Lisa

I haven't installed the overhead cabinets yet. I've been working on other items on my trailer plus I've been out camping with it 9 times since I wrote about my cabinets in April.

I probably won't install them until October when I'm done camping for the year. I really want to install them but I'm working on getting a 12 volt water pump mounted to supply water to the instant water heater right now. I then would like to make some kind of shelf unit for the closet before I leave for a week long tour of Washington state starting in a week and a half. Then there is the new plastic laminate counter top, new upper cabinet support, wiring the inverter/charger, inside shower system, stereo speaker mounts........

I recently found some new, very nice LED dome lights at West Marine that will be mounted underneath the overhead cabinets and I would really like to have those working soon but can't do it with out the cabinets installed.

I'm sorry that I can't offer any advice on how my installation went but I will when I finally get it done.

Jeff
Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #14

Washington
As far as the gaps I saw, it might because I couldn't drop the curved edge edge down to the top of the windows with the curtain rod hangers still in place. It seemed like the bottom of the cabinet was not level when it was above the curtain rod hangers.

I will try to bring them out to the trailer tomorrow, see how they fit and maybe take some pictures.

I've been thinking of the cabinets lately and I would like play with them again.

I'll let you know how it goes,

Jeff
Old 08-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #15

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Hi Jeff et al

Thx for the pix. I ordered front and back for my 1980. Here's hoping they fit.

Gonna be a good project and scamps definitely need the storage.

What does your rear cabinet measure front to back. I'm trying to plan if I can fit a fantastic fan above the dinette once my cabinets arrive.

Thanks !
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #16

Saskatchewan
Jeff--you've been so busy! I hope I get to see your Scamp some day. You've been working on some excellent modifications. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures, especially of the shower system you have worked out.

Lisa
Old 08-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #17

Washington
It looks like I'll be even busier either making overhead cabinets from scratch or modifying the ones I bought from Scamp!

Whe I first brought the overhead cabinets outside this morning I put both of them together bottom to bottom and found that they have the same shape.

I then used a tripod to hold one of them in position at the front of my 1977 13-foot Scamp. The first picture shows that.

There is a gap at both ends that I can stick my fingers up through. I found that as I roll the cabinet towards each corner the gap closes very nicely. What I think is the problem here is that the curvature of the front of my trailer is flatter that the curve of the cabinet. You can see that in the second picture I took laying on the floor without the front bench installed.

You might also notice that my 1976-78 aluminum front and rear windows may not form a constant curve like a plexiglass window would let the fiberglass form. The center portion that opens is fairly flat and the sides are bent to try to conform with the curvature of the body. I think the aluminum frame makes three flat surfaces instead of a curve.

The only way I see to fix this is to make a template of the actual shape of the walls, shape a piece of MDF board to match, cut away the flange on the overhead cabinet and use the MDF board to creat a new flange which is pretty much like making a mold in this area.

If you think that is bad, the third picture shows the same cabinet barely hanging on the curtain rod hangers at the back of the trailer. The fit isn't even close!

I think I have two front overhead cabinets. This one is too short in length and the curvature of the ends and back is wrong. I think back of the trailer body is flatter than in the front. There is way too much curve in the bottom of the cabinet here.

A little more modification will be required here such a cutting it in half to lengthen it and then reshaping the flange along the bottom to conform to the end curves and back wall.

Yes, I am a little dissapointed but not surprised. These cabinets are made to fit new body molds that were made after the fire destroyed the factory in 2006. Even if I had a rear overhead cabinet it probably would not fit my 1977 shell very well.

My options are to sell the new cabinets and make molds to create fiberglass cabinets that would fit. I could make overhead cabinets out of wood but I really want fiberglass. I think modifying what I have might be easier.

Since it has been a year and crating and shipping is expensive I won't even try to get my money back. I took a chance and it didn't work out perfectly.

I need to refinish the existing fiberglass cabinets as they are kind of beat up after 35 years. I was going to go for an off-white or beige color all around and was going to paint the new Scamp cabinets so they would all match.

Will new Scamp overhead cabinets fit a 1974 Boler? I wouldn't count on it.

At least make sure you are getting one front and one back cabinet. No one said anything about front and back cabinets being different last year. I just told them I need two overhead cabinets and that's what I got.

I have more pictures to post. I just don't have time today. I will try tomorrow to show additional views.

And, for the record, the depth of the cabinet across the bottom is 18.5 inches as seen in the last photo.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8139a.jpg   IMG_8151a.jpg  

IMG_8158a.jpg   IMG_8130a.jpg  

Old 08-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #18

Washington
The flange where the cabinet attaches to the ceiling is 1.25 inches wide so the total depth of the cabinet is 19.75 inches from the back wall to the front of the flange.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8134a.jpg  
Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #19

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Great information. I think cutting and refitting would be much easier than fabricating brand new cabinets.

The measurements are very helpful. I ordered a front and back and hope they work on a 1980 13 foot.

Good luck and I'll look forward to reading about your progress!!!
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #20

Saskatchewan
Jeff, your pictures and information are exactly what I needed to see. I really appreciate the time you took to share this with us. It definitely looks like you received 2 front cabinets. I'm with Jimbo -- try to make the front cabinet work. Maybe try to sell the other one. I'm sure someone will want to try to make it work on their trailer too. Such a big disappointment. They are so beautiful and shiny. Good luck with this project and all your other ones! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Tags
boler