Scooter rack installed... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I made my own toy hauler. I did move the box to the rear and now carry the scooter up front as I planned it. Thirty inch extension of the tongue.
Attached Thumbnails
scooter-rear-box-front.jpg  
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #22

Registry
Found better pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Caboose_right_side.jpg   Front_View.jpg  

Ramp_setup_for_Loading.jpg   Right_side_platform.jpg  

Old 04-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #23

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis F.
Found better pictures.
I can't imagine what your tongue weight is! Are you worried about stressing the frame!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #24

Registry
I weighed it when loaded but can't find the numbers. IIRC without the caboose it was around 500 lbs. With the caboose I think it was about 350 lbs. I haven't towed it with the PT Cruiser since extending the tongue. My 3/4 ton diesel pickup with air bags doesn't know it's back there. There have been times I would have liked to still be comfortable towing it the the PT. I'm afraid that much weight would pull the hitch mounting bolts out of the PT uni-body.

I used the two bathroom scales and a board method.

Forgot about answering about stressing the trailer frame. No, not really. Where the extension in the front attaches it is seriously reinforced. The rear bumper is square stock steel (same as frame) and an additional piece of steel was added behind the bumper to stabilize the hitch receiver.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
LUCKY you...

...to have such a small scooter, Barry!
I went BIG and have a 150cc Vespa, but my trailer conversion guys told me it's way to heavy to go on the back of the trailer. I'm still thinking of taking the side mirrors off and just rolling it up into the back of my '73 Compact II. AMEN for the rear door rather than the side door!
Happy Trails!
Barbara
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #26

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
I went BIG and have a 150cc Vespa, but my trailer conversion guys told me it's way to heavy to go on the back of the trailer. I'm still thinking of taking the side mirrors off and just rolling it up into the back of my '73 Compact II. AMEN for the rear door rather than the side door!
Happy Trails!
Barbara
I'm thrilled with my little scooter. I should post pictures when I get back. I'm in Texas now...90 degrees. When I left home Sunday I had to snowblow a foot of wet snow off the driveway just to get the car out. The folks here in Texas think I'm NUTS to live where I live and... visa versa.. Smile
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #27

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
Happy Trails!
Barbara
I'm thrilled with my little scooter. I should post pictures when I get back. I'm in Texas now...90 degrees. When I left home Sunday I had to snowblow a foot of wet snow off the driveway just to get the car out. The folks here in Texas think I'm NUTS to live where I live and... visa versa.. Smile
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #28

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis F.
I weighed it when loaded but can't find the numbers. IIRC without the caboose it was around 500 lbs. With the caboose I think it was about 350 lbs. I haven't towed it with the PT Cruiser since extending the tongue. My 3/4 ton diesel pickup with air bags doesn't know it's back there. There have been times I would have liked to still be comfortable towing it the the PT. I'm afraid that much weight would pull the hitch mounting bolts out of the PT uni-body.

I used the two bathroom scales and a board method.

Forgot about answering about stressing the trailer frame. No, not really. Where the extension in the front attaches it is seriously reinforced. The rear bumper is square stock steel (same as frame) and an additional piece of steel was added behind the bumper to stabilize the hitch receiver.
Holy cow, that's heavy! And to think that I'm trying to get the tongue weight of my Scamp down close to 100 pounds.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #29

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I went on one short trip with a pedal moped on a rack on the back of my Scamp. It seemed fine and I never even noticed it was back there. Thing is, I was terrified the whole time that it would just fall off and I wouldn't even notice. Those pedal mopeds from the 70's are so small that I could probably just roll it in to the trailer. I have a thing for small, slow transportation, such as mopeds. At one time, I had 34 mopeds in my garage! The wife loved me!

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #30

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
I went on one short trip with a pedal moped on a rack on the back of my Scamp. It seemed fine and I never even noticed it was back there. Thing is, I was terrified the whole time that it would just fall off and I wouldn't even notice. Those pedal mopeds from the 70's are so small that I could probably just roll it in to the trailer. I have a thing for small, slow transportation, such as mopeds. At one time, I had 34 mopeds in my garage! The wife loved me!
Gas is $4.00 / gallon today at the Study Butte Store, Wish I had a moped.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote