screen door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2006, 10:00 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	our_boler__101.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	2055
Here's our 1984 Boler and the screen door I made last spring. Photo'd every door I could find at Emily before deciding on how to do it Thanx to Gord 100 and all the others who were so helpful. It made this one a hit.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I like the color of your rig. Gives it a certain classic distinction.

By the way, did Emily know you were photographing her?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Nice door. We still have to decide if there is enough space in our B1700 for one to swing open, and another project will be launched.

James, is that a table-mounting rail on the side of your egg, like the ones on tent trailers, and if so, was it stock?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
We use a hanging screen with magnets in the middle. You just walk right through it and it reconnects. It actually works really nice.

It's like this.

http://www.bugoffscreen.com/

But I'm sure you could make one.
It's not even permanent, it's hanging from a spring rod so I can take it down if I want.

I figured I would try it before making a door and so far it's been there 3 years now.
Whether that's because I'm lazy or not is undecided. I did make the side walls which is the hard part I guess so a door at this point would be pretty easy.

I would have made the screen door with a piano hinge down the middle and made it a bi-fold. I may still, we'll see.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
This discussion has cropped up a number of times about screen doors. Here is some more input.

I ran across these in Home Depot several weeks ago. They roll into an vertical enamalled alum. jamb about 1 1/2"square. Operates much like a roll up blind, but very smooth and quite. I was impressed with how smooth it moves.

It appears to be a very well made product. When I saw the price tag of $325 for a standard door opening I thought it better be well made.

I got to thinking later, why couldn't I take the guts out of a roll up blind, fab up the frame etc. out of extruded alum. paint it white a have myself a nice rollaway screen door!

http://www.phantomscreens.com/index.cgi

Failing that I am aiming more and more to this type of folding door that was on this site some time before the hack. I like it because it folds back out of the way against the closet. I have all ready priced out the materiatls at about $60

Name:	Screen_Door_01.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	2058

Name:	Screen_Door_03.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	2060
Attached Thumbnails
Screen_Door_02.jpg   Screen_Door_04.jpg  

Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #6
Con

Here are a few pics I found some where else of a simular door without the center mullion.
I think this one is on a Scamp. Scamp owners bite me if I am wrong! It is a very neat installation. I think the previous one may have been on a Boler.

Name:	Screen_Door_05.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	2062
Attached Thumbnails
Screen_Door_06.jpg  
Old 04-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #7
Con

And of coarse there is Gord's very fine piece of work on a single swing screen door.
for more on Gord's door see:
http://www.antitomato.com/trailer/screendoor.cfm

Yours looks excellent also James, how about some close up pics?
As I remember from the discussion before the hack there was lots of intererst on screen doors. Lets keep this "Door" thread going and see pics of your ideas.

Name:	Screen_Door_07.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	2064
Attached Thumbnails
Screen_Door_08.jpg  
Old 04-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
[quote]Here are a few pics I found some where else of a simular door without the center mullion.
I think this one is on a Scamp...

Attachment 2062

It looks like an Escape to me (judging from the body styling line, inner door frame, main door hinge style, and interior cabinet placement) but then I've never seen a Scamp "in person" for comparison.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
We use a hanging screen with magnets in the middle. You just walk right through it and it reconnects. It actually works really nice.

It's like this.

http://www.bugoffscreen.com/

But I'm sure you could make one.
It's not even permanent, it's hanging from a spring rod so I can take it down if I want.

I figured I would try it before making a door and so far it's been there 3 years now.
Whether that's because I'm lazy or not is undecided. I did make the side walls which is the hard part I guess so a door at this point would be pretty easy.

I would have made the screen door with a piano hinge down the middle and made it a bi-fold. I may still, we'll see.

Hey, for someone like me that the only power tool I have is a power drill, this screen looks great. Tell me, would I have to have the door frame you built to make this work? Can you cut off the bottom if it is too long?

Thanks,
Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:49 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita
Indiana
Registry
I made a screen door very similar to the bugsoff and it hangs from a curtain rod above the door on the inside. I added velcro to the sides of it and to the edges of the camper door ( again on the inside ) and it works great.

Karen K.
Karen K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
I talked with Gord at Emily before starting this project. Youwill find a lot of similarities,only I opened up the bottom pannel to provide maximum ventalation.Now our JR can see out the door.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Sharon,
I don't think it would work as well without the wood sides due to the curve of the wall.
It might though, I never tried it without the wood. I'm not sure how you would attach the sides, maybe lots and lots of velcro.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #13

Trailer: 76 Boler
I made the bug off screen for our boler last year. Though, it was late in the season to test it out on the bugs it was a cinch to make.

Lorraine
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I made a simple one piece wood framed door for my 13' Boler 3 years ago...basic design from older Boler pictures......it works well and is easily removed by pulling the hinge pins if not required.......pictures on my webshots site.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:19 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Cool

Hello everybody.
The good looking screendoor is installed on an Escapetrailer by the manufacturer.I have seen it done, and we are thinking about going out to Reace in Chiliwack to get it done.
Maybe next year since we have gotten an wirehaired foxterrier puppy that would destroy it in short order.
Allan Bornestig.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
I made a super simple, low-budget screen for our Scamp. It's about as low-tech as you can get! It consists of a piece of screen slightly wider than the door opening, two square dowels and some velcro. I stapled the dowels across the top and bottom of the screen and then stapled a strip of velcro along the top dowel. The top dowel attaches to velcro above the door, hidden under the aluminum strip (what is that called?) over the door. The bottom dowel adds weight to make the screen hang against the body of the Scamp.

When we want to use the screen, we just unroll it and hang it up it by the velcro. We pull it aside to go through the door & it falls right back into place. It doesn't keep out 100% of the bugs, but only the really, really smart ones get in! The biggest drawback is that we have to remove it when we want to close the door. It just takes about 30 seconds to take it down & roll it back up and it fits easily on the little ledge under the window.

So easy!

Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote