screen door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
well this isnt a big mod or anything but i did have my new screen door installed this week.. i am very pleased with the work where i take it.
Attached Thumbnails
new_screen_door.jpg  
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As expensive as a bi-fold Scamp screen door is...they work as needed.

Now you're ready for the summer, warm nights and no bugs
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
well this isnt a big mod or anything but i did have my new screen door installed this week.. i am very pleased with the work where i take it.
I have a 90 Scamp with the bi-fold Screen door and it is great. I do a lot of boondocking and driving on very rough roads.
The plywood on the right side of the door is very thin and I have had it pull away from the wall. If they did not put larger washers on the mounting screws I would suggest you do so before the plywood splits. The washers solved my problem.
If you only use paved roads it probably is not necessary.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #4

John.. i will check on those washers... i took a glance but i dont think they did put any on there.. The last two Scamps i had already had screen doors on them.. ( got spoiled) so i had to get one for this one...LOL
Now for an awing i can put up and down by myself!!! or find somthing that works ...

ok no washers. did you get plastic ones or metal ones??
Old 02-17-2007, 12:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
John.. i will check on those washers... i took a glance but i dont think they did put any on there.. The last two Scamps i had already had screen doors on them.. ( got spoiled) so i had to get one for this one...LOL
Now for an awing i can put up and down by myself!!! or find somthing that works ...
ok no washers. did you get plastic ones or metal ones??

I used metal. They are well worth the expense. What would also be worth some serious money is something to keep the No seeums out.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:58 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul
hummm, all my wife did was take some velcro go around the door opening and take some cloth screen material and afix some of the velcro to it.

stiched the cloth screen to the shape of the door and instant screen, no fussy wooden door taking up space and when the screen is not needed (winter etc. we just roll it up and hide it)
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: John... If they are No see ums ...how do you know they are in there???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Umm, the same way Helen Keller would have "seen" them....
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
There was a recent thread on Yahoo Scampers about awnings -- The optional awning Scamp uses is not as easy to set up as the one Joy got (A&E Horizon) or the one Casita now installs (Fiamma) as an option -- Turns out they are apparently the same awning except for name and the fabric design (and maybe the price; wise folks will shop around) -- Apparently, Fiamma makes all the key parts for several RV awning manfs -- Joy reports that her A&E has a number of Fiamma labels on the hardware.

I have watched Joy set up her awning alone and was impressed by how slick and easy it was -- If an awning is difficult to set up and take down, it's unlikely to be used much...

Dometic - A&E Horizon

Various Sizes of Horizons at Camping World

Fiamma USA

Link to download Fiamma List Price list PDF
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Pete...We're really lucky up here on the N. Shore cause no see ums can't swim Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:35 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
hummm, all my wife did was take some velcro go around the door opening and take some cloth screen material and afix some of the velcro to it.

stiched the cloth screen to the shape of the door and instant screen, no fussy wooden door taking up space and when the screen is not needed (winter etc. we just roll it up and hide it)
sounds easy enough to do, but wouldn't you have to re-velcro the screen every time you go in and out? Wouldn't that take a lot of time? I am going in and out of my Casita all the time and would not want to take the time to revelcro each time. Is there something I am missing as to going in and out without maybe re-velcroing each time?.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Just another approach: I bought a 6' length of fabric screen from the boat supply store, sewed pockets along the sides for a couple of those replacement fiberglass tent poles and added a pocket at the bottom for a row of marbles to hold the bottom of the screen on the floor. A couple hammock hooks on each of the side walls hold the poles against the curved door wall. It's worked well for a number of years now.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #13

Pete.. thanks for the links on the Fiamma awnings also.... its just a matter of getting one and havng it installed... ( next project)
I talked to one of the RV places the other day.. someone with a Casita had the A & E awning put on ( didnt ask what the price was tho ) LOL Of course they had to reinforce the leg holders at the bottom of the trailer...
I looked at Joys brackets... and printed the directions out.. but someone would h ave to know what they are doing before I would even try to let someone start putting holes in the trailer for them....

I really hate these case awnings... its such a 'chore' to try to get help to put up and down and seems when i got out in the trailer it ruins my trip to hassle with it... I like to have it down tho.. seems more private and when its warm the dogs need shade. I might temperarlly get a screen room if I can find one easy to set up.....

Terry: I have seen those screens on Ebay..they are nice but not practical with the dogs....
Old 05-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Freedom Deluxe
Does anyone know if the Scamp screen door will fit a Casita?

2002 16'FD Casita, probably without screen door, arriving tomorrow, (thank you again, eBay!)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cassie.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	7659
and '88 Scamp with screen door sitting in carport.

I'm thinking the screen door will be worth more to us than the eventual new owner of said Scamp...

;0))

PK loving these forums!
Pat Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #15
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
I ran across these a few days ago.
For a screened enclosure these are a very innovative idea.
They have no poles, hardware etc. and fold up into a 30"diameter hoop.
I don't know what the prices are like.

http://www.frikon.ca/OutDoorPopUp.htm
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro
Quote:
I ran across these a few days ago.
For a screened enclosure these are a very innovative idea.
They have no poles, hardware etc. and fold up into a 30"diameter hoop.
I don't know what the prices are like.

http://www.frikon.ca/OutDoorPopUp.htm
We bought one of these and I don't think they were very expensive. The 8' one rolls into about a 3 1/2' circle. However, I think you had to be a kid with a Barbie playhouse to get it up and down the first time. There's a trick to the twist to get it to fold. Also, in a strong wind the thing tries to fold up - but - pops up very easily. I do think ours could have been pressed against the door and the door left open - however - there is only one door!! We ended up; putting ours on the side towards the back - by the outside plugs!! We have two chairs, our pop-up table (it has a little three legged stand and holds the front dinette table up) a lamp, our computer. Actually it more than doubles the floor space in the Burro and we get the table out of the front which also leaves more room. Definitely worth looking at - got mine on Ebay!! of course. Our Burro should be called the E-Bayro. Happy trails, Christi
Christi W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #17

those popups seem to look simple to handle... that place doesnt have an email tho ... guess one has to call for the prices???
the screen room i just got at walmart did a pretty good job..even after the modifications... easy to put up... even when it rained.. but 8 ft just isnt long enough to cover everything i would like...

i am refering to the awning.. not my new screen door...
Old 05-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
A few of us have Playhut's 6 x 6 screen room. My experience with it is it is sometimes a light weight bear to store away. The 6 x 6 model has been discontinued but is still available at some intenet outlets.

6 x 6 popup screen room

This is the replacement size. It needs two people to fold down IMO. eBay Playhut screen room -Total $100
Attached Images

Benita is offline   Reply With Quote