Screen for door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
Screen for door

Has anyone used those magnetic screens that are "As Seen On TV" for their camper door?
Do you have any ideas or suggestions for a screen door?
We open and close the door so many times I think I want to just install a screen to walk through.
Ideas? Thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:27 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have no experience with the screen described but have thought that one might be just the thing for the tight confines of our eggs. Try it out and let us know how it works.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Some Uhaul owners have done it. I believe they had to cut down the size, sew on an edge with velcro, and use adhesive type velcro on the door opening. Another owner had a canvas shop make a custom screen but it has a zipper.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I put a curtain rod above my door and hang a gauze curtain in the doorway. It keeps out the skeeters and flies and I don't have to close my outside door. I know people who use the magnetic screen also and like it. Just takes some modifications to make it fit.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #5

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
I've been eyeing these, too. At $15 it seems worth the risk...I'm kind of waiting for my grocery store to clearance them out.
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #6

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
We tried these on our house a few years back. Having a ground level basement and the main entrance a story above the ground it seemed a reasonable and cost effective solution. Imagine my surprise when I went out one morning to find an indescribable pile of who knows what - including rodent tails and parts in front of the screen curtain. Pretty obviously, a coyote with severe indigestion had lost his lunch in front of our screen curtain door. He (or she) could just have easily come inside! Since then, we have installed regular, framed screened doors and feel much more confident on warm summer nights when the "song dogs" are serenading the neighborhood.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
We have had one on our house for a few years; absolutely fantastic for daytime access in and out. Our deck threshold is about 8" above the deck, so it hangs low. Make sure to mount it fairly tight. Too tight, and the magnets won't close it, too loose and the screen gaps are huge.

My daughter's in-laws have it on their RVs and also love it. The older ones had only 9 magnet pairs, a bare minimum. The new ones have 15 pairs of magnets.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
My wife and I have tried these magnetic screens this past summer in our '73 Trillium, my wife had modified them to size, did a little sewing so there was a hem on the cut side and then taped the screens to the wall with Duct Tape. It worked well, fell down a few times but the idea was one that we could live with. We have imagined all the other possible solutions to keeping the bugs out and came back these.
Now I will make a frame out of ¾x6 mahogany, cut and remove the insulation to get to the fiberglass and glue the boards in place. Next we'll just tack the screens in place on the boards.
We also have a small Yorkie that travels with us, these screens allow her to walk right through, in or out, when it's afternoon nap time she just goes and lays in her bed in the trailer.
Tim from BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #9

Name: donna
Trailer: 13 ft scamo deluxe
New Jersey
They work great only if lined up perfectly. We rigged them up on our gazebo bc we got tired of using the floor to ceiling zipper.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
donnaeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We had one but replaced it with a home made Scamp like screen door.

We made it from DYI screen material making two window like screens about 11 inches wide connecting them together with small hinges. The screen folds flat against a cabinet. It works well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Like Norm I had one on my Boler ... they key word being HAD.
Although it did work well, I found that they reduced the door opening size (which is already too small) because they do not open all the way to the top, at the top they are joined at the center and form a "V" which really reduces head and shoulder room.
We replaced it with the beaded curtain which works great
http://www.boler-camping.com/boler-m...-door-options/
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #12

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Attached are partial photos of the factory-installed screen door from Scamp. (Perhaps someone else can provide better photos) As Norm said basically, it is composed of two rectangular metal (or wood) frames hinged together and covered with plastic netting. There is a knob on the end in the interior and a loop of webbing in the center as seen from the outside. It's quite easy to open and close the door one-handed. My photo shows how we attach bungee cords to keep the closet door closed in transit. The strap around the screen door keeps it in place quite well.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 081.jpg   Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 083.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Attached are partial photos of the factory-installed screen door from Scamp. (Perhaps someone else can provide better photos) As Norm said basically, it is composed of two rectangular metal (or wood) frames hinged together and covered with plastic netting. There is a knob on the end in the interior and a loop of webbing in the center as seen from the outside. It's quite easy to open and close the door one-handed. My photo shows how we attach bungee cords to keep the closet door closed in transit. The strap around the screen door keeps it in place quite well.

I see bungee cords, but where's the silver duct tape?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:00 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Gilda, why the bungees? The screen door on my 1988 Scamp and the strap, it's never come undone during travel in all the years I've owned it. Is the snap loose on yours?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our screen door panels are about a 1/4 inch thick, very light, thin aluminum and screening. Our door folds flat against the side of the cabinet where it is held by two magnets. When the door is extended it is also held by two magnets.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Gilda, why the bungees? The screen door on my 1988 Scamp and the strap, it's never come undone during travel in all the years I've owned it. Is the snap loose on yours?
Neither has mine. 2006 with over 40,000 miles of travel and over a 1000 nights.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Our screen door panels are about a 1/4 inch thick, very light, thin aluminum and screening. Our door folds flat against the side of the cabinet where it is held by two magnets. When the door is extended it is also held by two magnets.

WOW! where did you find aluminum magnets?
Old 09-08-2015, 10:02 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm guessing the bungee is to keep the cupboard door from opening and that the screen door knob is a convenient place to hook on.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm guessing the bungee is to keep the cupboard door from opening and that the screen door knob is a convenient place to hook on.
I've always wondered about people who complain about cabinet doors opening while traveling. It seems like there's a lot of thoughts, ideas, and applications that treat the symptom, not get to the root cause. I've found that, in my case, the root cause is loose stuff slamming into the door from the inside. The correction is not let there be anything loose inside. For the clothes closet the dirty clothes bag was banging into the door. Got longer straps so the bag hangs below the bottom of the door. The fridge, we use refrigerator bars to contain everything. The over the kitchen we plastic boxes that are held in place by the bottom lip of the door opening. For the front back overhead again plastic boxes that are captured by the lower lips. End of problem
Old 09-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #20

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The bungee is to hold the CLOSET door closed as the latch has never worked right and we have not replaced it. The bungee has nothing to do with the screen door. Because we store the SCAMP one hour from my home I had to use this photo.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote