Screen room - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Screen room

Do many of you use a screen room, or such, with your 13` or 16` scamp to increase living space, weather permitting of course. How does that work out for you. Is it much work to take down/put up. Is it worth the trouble. Do they hold up from season to season. Just wondering. Thanks , Carl

Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I had a screen room that attached to my awning and did not use it, it was a PITA to set up. Much easier to use the free standing units, pop up the frame, install top and done. You can add screens if needed.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
This has been the subject of a previous discussion. We have a Eureka Northern Breeze 12 X 12 screen room. It has full side flaps to close it in like a tent, or roll them up to expose the screens, or the flaps can be used as awnings. It comes with 3 poles to make one side an awning, or buy extra poles and have more awning. The two of us have developed a routine where we easily put it up or down. You can find a you tube video where a guy shows how to put it up alone, although I don't quite agree with his procedure. Right now we are wintering on the coast of Georgia with our Uhaul. We have the screen room set up about 2 feet from the camper awning. In the screen room we have a 9 X 12 patio mat on the ground, the campground picnic table, two comfortable chairs, a mini fridge, a camping table that has zippered hanging storage, coffee pot, toaster, TV, two electric heaters, and a ceiling light. The screen room serves mainly as our living room / dining room. This is a $400 screen room, but in our opinion has been well worth it.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #4

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
We use a stand alone 11x11 screen room. We use the screen when there are bugs and we use the optional flaps in bad weather.

For our family it is great at increasing space when bugs are bad or as a place to get out of the sun. We usually have a table and a couple of chairs underneath it.

Since getting it we don't use the awning. It is relatively simple to setup, but it is one more thing to take. We don't leave on a trip without it. We don't set it up if we are only doing a quick stop for one night.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Have an awning on my 16' and also bring along a 10' x 10' easy up for going over picnic tables or the propane fire pit at night, it has sides but I dont use them often, only in really bad rainy/windy weather.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Thanks for all of your replies, i appreciate it. I am thinking it will help a great deal to get your self out of a small space with out having to go away some place.
I can just see myself on a soft reclining cot with a coffee just planing for the next place i want to move on to Thanks, Carl
Old 12-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #7

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
We consider our 12 X 12 Coleman First Up to be an essential part of our set-up; it's the kitchen, dining room and lounge for our Scamp 13. It came with screen side walls as well as a solid privacy/windbreak wall for one side. I can set the whole thing up in about ten minutes; even faster if we do it together.

As far as longevity, after about 5 years of use this one has developed a few pinhole leaks in the roof. They reveal themselves in a steady rain. Replacement covers do not seem to be available from Coleman. I am considering sewing one up myself - maybe as a laminate over the existing fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0568.jpg  
Old 12-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
It's now about 8:30 PM, 48 degrees outside, and we're sitting in our Northern Breeze with one heater running maintaining about 70. Watching TV and playing on our iPad & laptop and eating cookies we decorated earlier. No extra panels to attach for sides or screens. This is the 3rd screen room we've had, and the best by far. Tomorrow looking like a nice beach day. Happy Holiday to you all.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #9

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
We use the Peaktop 10 x 10' Ez Set Pop Up Party Tent Wedding Canopy. Similar to the above Coleman. Just have it in red to match the truck and the stripes on the Scamp. Works great for us.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
I've got the Northern Breeze too, it would be hard to beat for size, utility, and strength. On the con side we only use it for extended stays as it's bulky to take along and a bit of a hassle to put up. If it rains you need to set it up at home and hose it off as the sides get covered if you weren't on grass. I've considered getting a lighter, quicker assembly one for shorter stays but don't know how much of an improvement over the awning it would be. It is yet one more thing to put up and take down.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #11

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Yes, we do. See. It goes up almost everywhere we camp. We spend most of our time out there. It adds a lot more space, and it cuts down significantly on bugs.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Uhaul screenroom.jpg  
Old 12-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #12

New York
We don't have any hassle with our Northern Breeze as we have done it enough times to get a good routine. It's almost a sure thing that take down day will have some wet items that will have to be dried at home, that's the joy of camping. I probably spend more time staking it down than set up. I use metal stakes that I bought extra, or heavy duty ones I made, depending on the soil conditions. Guy ropes on the corners if in a windy area.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #13

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Do you stake it down before you attempt raising the poles? Would be nice to figure out a way to do it by myself, it would come in handy on fishing trips.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #14

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Do you stake it down before you attempt raising the poles? Would be nice to figure out a way to do it by myself, it would come in handy on fishing trips.
We don't stake it down until it is set up. Reason being that we have to adjust the location of the 4 corners to get the right tension on the sides. Especially important on the sides with the zipper "doors". Too tight and the zipper won't work right or pull apart. At the door openings, I'll put a stake to hold one side down, then the zippers can be worked with one hand. I also stake down the middle of each side. Another thing we learned is when rolling up the flaps, roll them under so if it rains water won't collect in them. See if you can find that you tube video on how to set the screen room up alone. Not exactly how we do it, and he spends more time talking about his dog than on the set up. One mistake we made in the beginning was to hook the stretchy loops at the corner of the poles before setting the bottom of the poles on the pins. Now what works for us is first get all poles on the top spider, lay them down, connect the 8 top clips, then with the two of us, we get on opposite poles, raise them up, Mary holds hers while I go around setting the corner pins into the bottom of the poles, then the stretchy loops at the corners and clips on the sides of the poles. Then we get the whole thing set where we want it, corners set right, and stake it down. It can be dragged around if your careful, but with 4 people it can be picked up and carried. Done that a couple times when we had to change campsites.