screen rooms for small trailers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2004 Scamp
Mass
Registry
screen rooms for small trailers?

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to find someone to make a screen room for one of my trailers, a 66 Scotty. Also looking for a screen room for an 86 Burro. Does anyone have a lead for a good custom screen room fabricator?

thanks so much for your ideas,
Anne
Anne MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:04 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne MP View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to find someone to make a screen room for one of my trailers, a 66 Scotty. Also looking for a screen room for an 86 Burro. Does anyone have a lead for a good custom screen room fabricator?

thanks so much for your ideas,
Anne
Dometic makes one that comes in various lengths.
Search - dometic cabana awning - Camping World

The issue with going custom is the labor cost for custom work is going to be very high. What you need for your search are keywords to help you find someone as local as possible who can take direct from the trailer exacting measurements to ensure the proper fit. Keywords.....custom canvas work....custom tent.....custom awning

There is a LOT of custom canvas work done for boats where they are enclosing the open deck areas. They certainly have all the skills needed for your project.

Another good option is to purchase a free standing tent or shelter as then you will only need to have a very small section of custom canvas work done to connect the tent to the trailer and also to create a second doorway if that tent only has one opening. That can save you a lot of money versus going custom all the way.

You could even do this add short connecting walls to your trailer with the latest offering from EZ UP Shelters. They now have what they are calling a "camping cube" which is a screen room that you hook underneath the canopy structure. I want the red one for my trailer https://www.ezup.com/products/camping-products.html

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:08 AM   #3

Name: Phil
Trailer: Ventura
Manitoba
There's a company called ARB that makes some nice awnings/rooms.
philtripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #4

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I have tried the screen room with my Scamp 16 and found this to be much better:

https://jet.com/product/detail/9588a...saApwNEALw_wcB
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I clearly understand you want custom made to fit. That said, I would encourage you to consider Clam screen rooms. They are among the best in class, and offer four walls (actually six) instead of three. Want to have it away from trailer, perhaps over a picnic table or chairs? Easy. It gives you a full outdoor living room. You just don't have it connected to your trailer door. Why Clam? Easiest set up. Pops open like an umbrella. Watch video on Youtube.

Edit: I hadn't seen Charles post #4 when I posted. I agree with him. He posted a top of the line model, which is great. I just found a brown one without built-in side walls. Nominally it is 12x12', on Amazon returns for $237 like new, plus 3 side panels with windows, new for $35.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I too looked for "screens" to go on my awning and the expense was unreal! Finally, we settled on the CLAM (as Tom 72 mentioned above) and havent looked back. We ordered the extra panels for it. This year we've used it both times we went out with the Scamp and LOVE it! It's basically made an extra "room" for our Scamp.

The link below is a "CLAM" and I think Gazelle also makes one (china version?) a little cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporat...70_&dpSrc=srch
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #7

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I believe the clam now comes with the roll up weather panels. And there's also the smaller, 4 sided clam traveller, which I'm currently considering.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #8

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
That's the one that I have. The roll-up panels came in very handy at my family reunion at Deep Creek Lake State Park. It rained all weekend and we were all able to visit in the shelter. The opaque roof makes it very bright inside.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:24 PM   #9

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I have the Clam 4 sided. I travel alone, and find this the perfect size. Easier to store when not set up (smaller and lighter). I find the approximate 6 ft X 6 ft size adequate for two chairs and a small table, plus room for a cooler or other accessories. If you want to cook, it is room enough for one lounge chair plus a 4 ft table and additional chair. I have the solid side panels, but have never used them in a year of owning, I would still buy them as they will be useful when needed.

The Clam stakes out very securely, all four corners (or six) at the ground level, all sides (except the door) at the mid level, and you can additionally guy the four or six corners from the top. The latter may only be necessary if the rain panels are in use due to the additional wind resistance they would create.

Overall, a potentially VERY secure design. This is expected as their close cousins are the ice fishing shelters that are the origin of the Clam Shelters.

Highly recommended.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Clam

I hate to be one of those folks that when reading a post and the accompanying comments think 'gee I have some knowledge on this topic'. That said I will do it anyway, probably a mental health term for that.
We have a six sided Clam that endured five minutes of 50 mph straight line winds that pulled it up from the ground and rolled it about an eighth of a mile into a stand of spruce trees. The only damage was a torn pole pocket. I couldn't believe it. Carrying it back to our campsite intact I think I sold three!
John
Old 11-19-2017, 07:58 AM   #11

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
good endorsement

I've added the Clam to our shopping list for camping. I don't know if we want a screen porch, but that kind of endorsement sells it for me. Thanx bill(not laura)
Old 11-20-2017, 05:16 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i recently replaced my "ez up" (one of the most misnamed products on the market) with a clam shelter. i have to say that it's one of the coolest things since sliced white bread. there is a bit of a learning curve with the new clam but, after i put it up a couple of times it really is fun, fast & easy. of course i ordered the largest one they make (why not, right?) that thing is huge! i travel solo and don't do a lot of entertaining so i've much more screen room than i need, but, it is a great product.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:21 AM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
screen rooms

We have been to Europe 3x we saw add on rooms at campgrounds that were amazing. Those Europeans get as much as 3 mos off in the summer they call it holidays.

They have rooms as long and wide as their trailers and do entertaining all the time. Lots of them have plexiglass covers for the fronts and they haul great furniture with them.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote