Seeking advice about electrical/solar system for Uhaul CT 13? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
California
Registry
Seeking advice about electrical/solar system for Uhaul CT 13?

Hi everyone,

We are trying to figure out what to buy to make an updated electrical and solar system for our new 1984 Uhaul CT 13. We figure we will never be hooked up to house current, so we would leave the converter as is for now, but change the following: buy a Whistler Pro-1200W 1,200 Watt Power Inverter to run straight off the battery, Whistler IC-2000W 2 Gauge Power Inverter Cables, Scosche EWFH Single ANL Fuse Holder to put inline, and the super panel kit from RV solar electric that includes:

Carmanah CTI-80 panel - (80 watts, 4.59 amp 26" x 41")
Morningstar SS-10 Controller - (10 amp capacity with LED charge light)
Fixed/Flat mount kit with mounting hardware
30 foot 10/2 UV rated wire
Hardware package - (fuse/holder, ring lugs, wire clamps, roof sealer, instructions, etc.)

Then we were going to get the special feet that use VHB tape to hold the panel to the roof. Figured we would need 6 just to be sure?

Anyway, what do you think about that? We are going to be boondocking only, never with hookups, and I have to work on my computer out of the trailer. We were going to get a fantastic fan and use LED lights, but that's about it.

Thanks very much for any advice you could offer.

Linda and Andre
Lindl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It sounds like you've given it a lot of thought. Some additional thoughts:

Will you be mounting the solar panel behind the vent? With those dimensions, I'd think you'd have to mount it sideways? Another option is to mount two smaller panels front and rear.

If you care to save a little money, you can piece this kit together for less money from individual components at a place like Solar Blvd. For instance their 80 watt panel is $116, a Morningstar controller is $45

That's a fairly large inverter and it has it's own parasitic losses. What will you need to run off from it? If you can run the same devices (like a laptop) off 12 volts or a smaller inverter, it is more efficient.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #3

California
Registry
Hi Tom,

How about two of these, from solar Boulevard?
Cells: with Q-Cells
Model Name: PV-SC040J12-M
Number of Cells: 36 cells in a series (4 x 9)
Max Power: 40W
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.6V
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 2.57A
Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp): 17.2V
Maximum Power Current (Imp): 2.33A
Dimensions (inches): 25.37 x 21.37 x 1.00
Weight: 10 pounds
Manufacturer: Solar Cynergy

And do you have a recommendation for an appropriate inverter? We are so grateful for your advice!

Linda and Andre
Old 11-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #4

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Just curious.
Why the inverter if you're going to be boondocking and you have solar?
That's all I do and have never missed the inverter.
I have a little $30.00 inverter that plugs into a 12v outlet to charge my laptop, cellphone and camera batteries.
I personally think an inverter is unneeded and a waste of money if you have a solar system.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #5

Name: Byron
Trailer: 73 Boler
Ontario
What do you want to have being powered by the system? How many batteries?

This info is needed I find to make the right choice.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #6

California
Registry
Hi Perry,

To charge the computer, which we use a lot, we need an inverter, and I just wanted to plug my computer into a plug, so I wanted it directly wired to the battery. but I guess we could just get a way smaller inverter.

Thanks very much for your advice!

Linda
Old 11-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #7

California
Registry
Hi Byron,

We just have one 12 volt deep cycle battery right now. We figured we could get two 6 volt golf cart batteries at some point, but the 12 V battery is new and came with the trailer, so we hoped we could use it for awhile. All we are going to use the power for is the computers (2) and a few 12V lights and the Fantastic fan.

Thanks!

Linda
Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindl View Post
Hi Tom,

How about two of these, from solar Boulevard?
Cells: with Q-Cells
Model Name: PV-SC040J12-M
Number of Cells: 36 cells in a series (4 x 9)
Max Power: 40W
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.6V
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 2.57A
Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp): 17.2V
Maximum Power Current (Imp): 2.33A
Dimensions (inches): 25.37 x 21.37 x 1.00
Weight: 10 pounds
Manufacturer: Solar Cynergy

And do you have a recommendation for an appropriate inverter? We are so grateful for your advice!

Linda and Andre
Sure. You could even do two 60 watt for just a little more.

If all you want to power is the laptop, I'd go with a 100 or 200 watt converter like these: Amazon.com: 200 watt inverter: Automotive

There are also laptop adapters for a cigarette lighter that may be more efficient.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi Byron,

We just have one 12 volt deep cycle battery right now. We figured we could get two 6 volt golf cart batteries at some point, but the 12 V battery is new and came with the trailer, so we hoped we could use it for awhile. All we are going to use the power for is the computers (2) and a few 12V lights and the Fantastic fan.

Thanks!

Linda
If you have sunshine and a decent sized solar panel (60 watts+), you shouldn't need to go with the two golf cart batteries for your usage.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #10

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindl
Hi Byron,

Thanks!

Linda
Sounds like you could get away with a smaller panel since you only have the 1 battery. When you run power off the inverter just make sure the battery does not get to low. Do you have a good solar controler?

Have you though about making a stand for the solar panel so you can follow the sun with it?
Old 11-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #11

Ontario
Just looked at first post on controller. As long as you don't add items to the list u can make due. But from the looks of it you are on the tight side. So no laptop charging at night.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #12

California
Registry
Thanks for all the advice! We are going to use the two 40 watt panels, but unfortunately they do not come in a kit, so we will get the Morningstar controller from Solar Boulevard, too, but then we need all kinds of other stuff I guess, wires and so on. Hopefully, if we call Solar Boulevard, they can set us up? Then we are going to get these feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Sticky_Feet_Front-500x500.jpg  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #13

California
Registry
Hi Byron,

You mean we need a bigger controller if we want to charge the laptop at night?
Old 11-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #14

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindl
Hi Byron,

No, I just didn't know some info till I did a re-reading of first post what the plan was.

I say to avoid charging laptop at night due to the single battery, don't want to kill it. However if batteries are getting juiced up you can skim off the top.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi Byron,

The controller is sized to the output power of the solar panels. For instance Two 40 watt panels put out a maximum of 7 amps, so the controller must be 7 amps or more. The Morningstars have a 25% temporary reserve to handle certain atmospheric conditions that put the solar output above normal output rating.

In short, a 10 amp or larger controller would be great.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Adequate Power

Linda,

We have a fixed, roof mounted, 80 watt solar panel charging a type 24 battery. The battery is new and will probably be replaced with a larger single 12 volt battery in the future.

As well we have the ability to charge the trailer's battery from the tow vehicle's generator as we drive. We rarely use this ability, only in cases of prolonged bad weather in really northern climes. The solar panel had no problem keeping our battery charged on our 315 day loop this year.

We carry two computers and a wi-fi hotspot (always on). As well we have 2 phones that have to be charged every night. We do have bright, white LEDs thru out.

As well as lights and computers our system handles our 19 inch LED flat panel TV and Satellite Dish receiver. We power the TV and receiver with a single $19, 100 watt inverter that plugs into a 12 volt outlet.

We use a similar 100 watt inverter to charge our computers when we park outside of a library or CAP wi-fi hotspot (particularly in small northern Canada towns without wi-fi).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #17

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
Linda and Andre,

I purchased the exact same system you were looking at from Rvsolarelectric.com and have loved it. It is very similar to honda's setup as well. Something to think about when considering systems is if your my am expert installer and it is your first time piecing together a system might save you a few bucks but you might not get the customer support you may need when it comes to putting it all together. I ended up calling and talking to the guys at rvsolarelectric after I started my instal and they were extremely knowledgable and helpful. I did a ton of research before buying my system and decided as well to go with them because of the quality of the panels and wiring they sell with it. Just something to think about. Solar boulevard may be just as good but can't vouch for them as I have never dealt with them.

Another thing you may want to do before spending money on brackets and mounts I to wait until you get your panel and see how it sits on your roof. I ordered everything in advance like your talking about doing and found that the brackets weren't going to work out and I ended up having to get an alternative due to the shape of my roof. The curve in the Cloud roof and the ridge down the middle made it difficult to center the panel and I had to make my own spacers and put the panel off to one side about 4 inches,

I have loved that system though. I run it with one battery, all 12v, with a small 300w inverter I plug into the 12v system when needing to charge my computer. I have never ran short on power even on the cloudy and snowy days.

Good luck and check out my photos on my profile I you want to see some pictures of my setup.

Tyler
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul