Self contained possibilities - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2003, 08:30 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Orginally posted by Don H.

Y'all sure sound like you know what your talking about. Why all the gloom and doom predictions on some other sites about using the EU2000i for running roof airs? One guy said it would wreck both the air conditioner and the generator!

This would sure make my desert trips more enjoyable!

By the way, I've also done business with Mayberrys on some water pumps and the service was great!
Maybe it's a bigger AC then the one on the little Fiberglass TTs. So of course you would need more power = bigger generator.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:23 PM   #22

Sorry about the conversion kit

Sorry, Roy, about the disappointment with the parts. I was hoping that would not be the case. From what you say, send the conversion kit back tomorrow morning and also re-post on the propane conversion thread, so that others are up to date on this. I for one, intended to follow your lead, but not now, thanks to your experience. Let us know if you someday find a decent conversion unit, though.
Quote:
Orginally posted by roy tarr

received the lp conversion package yesterday. 1st impression, going to take a very simple unit and complicate it,2nd quality parts supplied for change over.3rd. will be adding parts to outside of honda. maybe had better sleep on this. Called supplier and will be returning the lp conversion kit.
Dan, regarding the ''naysayers'' on the eu2000i, if you do a search, particularly on the casitaclub.com web site, there was one guy repeatedly jumping in on the Honda threads, telling what lousy experience he had had, particularly with warranty. All said and done, it came out that he bought a commercially used and abused unit, then tried to get a Honda dealer to cover repairs under warranty. That doesn't work in an honest world.:bh

Old 03-18-2003, 11:31 PM   #23

eu2000i

George:

I think I remember the guy you're referring to. Many, many posts by ONE disgruntled person. :o

Digging a bit deeper for information it came out that the generator had been used in continuous duty. Something like 24/7 for 2-3 months, along with several other generators. Perhaps that's what you mean by comercial use?! It's sure not designed for that kind of use (abuse).

And it'll power an 8,000btu AC with a little careful attention. :)

Old 03-19-2003, 07:05 AM   #24

My Eu2000i

I don't pretend to be an expert on the Eu2000 by any means, but I like mine very much and am very glad to have it. I don't understand the remark about "wrecking" the generator though. Short of running it 24/7, which it is not intended for, or not paying attention to periodic maintenance, how would you do that? The other day I tried to get it to go to overload by using the heat-strip along with a cube heater. It simply cut the trailer out of the circuit and continued running. I removed the load, went out, shut it down, started it back up and everything was fine again. For me it is the perfect match for my little fiberglass beauty, and it even looks good with its "jewelry"-- its set of stay-at-home chains!

Old 03-19-2003, 08:38 PM   #25

Robert B... Good to hear from someone who actually owns the little Honda 2000. Would you please tell me the size of your little "egg". Also, where do you put the generator? I don't have a truck, I would like to put it on the back or attach it somehow to the V. Julie

Old 03-20-2003, 06:44 AM   #26

Hi Julie

Hi Julie M-

I have a p/u truck, so it rides inside. But I have seen several posts about carrying it on the a-frame and even in a custom designed box. I suppose you could also just set it inside the trailer when you were on the move. Even when it has been running for a good long time it is a very clean and polite little package. I know that if I were in a much-travelled area and going to be gone from the camp site for any length of time I would put it back in the truck or set it inside the trailer. It's just one of those gem-like little items that tends to "get legs."

(I also have the camo cover for the gen. But I have to wonder about the wisdom of designing a cover for it and then emblazoning "HONDA" across it. Go figure! )

Old 03-20-2003, 07:53 AM   #27

eu2000i disguise

A 2 bottle propane tank cover just fits over the Honda to hide it.

......or a tricycle box. :)

Old 03-20-2003, 08:19 AM   #28

Generator

Julie; If you are going to be staying in campgrounds most of them have hookups and you don't need a generator.

It seems that a great many people think a generator is a must have option. We do have a eu2000 and we carry it in the bed of our pickup.

We spent about 80 days in our Casita last year and never used the generator.(We do have a small solar panel.) Most of that time was in Forest Service campgrounds or boondocking in the desert(winter)

Nick

Old 03-20-2003, 11:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Orginally posted by Nick
We spent about 80 days in our Casita last year and never used the generator.(We do have a small solar panel.) Most of that time was in Forest Service campgrounds or boondocking in the desert(winter)
Nick
Nick, What is the wattage of your solar panel? Does it allow you to boondock indefinitely or do you slowly lose battery power?

Old 03-20-2003, 01:49 PM   #30

Larry; The solar panel is very small. It is meant to keep the battery topped up. The trailer is not here and I don't remember the size of the panel.

I try to keep the battery in top shape and we conserve electricity as much as possible but we do slowly loose power. We have gone over a week with no problems but did have some sunny days.

We use a black cat heater and at the most two lights at a time.

We are planning on a 75 watt panel and will then be OK

Old 03-20-2003, 04:19 PM   #31

Hi All
On home page is good article on solar panels,I printed it out last nite for a friend and they were really happy with it

:wave

Old 03-20-2003, 08:02 PM   #32

I am thinking in terms of generators and the storage of same as I must be prepared to camp in the boondocks for three to five days at a time. I will gladly plug in when I have a campground at my disposal. I am trying to plan for those other days, when I am self-contained. Living in Florida I see no way but a generator for those 99 degree summer days. Julie

Old 03-20-2003, 10:49 PM   #33

eu2000i

Julie:

We travel with ours in the mini-van.

Old 03-22-2003, 04:39 PM   #34

generator

Here's a vote for the Honda 3000. Yes, it weight 147 lbs. We put it in the back of the truck with a come-a-long screwed to the ceiling of the shop. Unless, of course, there is another person around and we can con him/her into a little help.

I would be very concerned about using a 2000. The reason is the amount of restart amperage needed to recycle the compresser during the normal cycling on - off that occurs in use. I could be mistaken, but I think that it is just a little more than the normal start amperage, and the initial start amperage is more than double the run amperage.

Bottom line is we can run the microwave and the airconditioner at the same time in our 17' Casita.

Old 03-23-2003, 03:47 AM   #35

Eu2000i and roof air

I've come up with an answer for my needs. Looks like the Eu2000i does well with the smaller air units, but I've got a 13,500. Coleman makes a new unit called the Polar Cub. It runs on 8 amps at full load so the Honda should work with it. I'm going to see if I can get a deal on changing it out. My Dometic is hardly used, so maybe I can find some one who wants it. Thanks for all the help!

:r

Old 03-23-2003, 05:39 PM   #36

Julie Hi... I checked the Honda generator site and a 2000 w inverter model is still very available. It puts out a peak 18-19 amps.If this model at 46 lbs. is too heavy for you to throw around you can gang two 1000 w models together at about 28 lbs. each. This would get your 2000 watts. The down side is cost. The upside could be no back injuries. There is also a propane model available but it is a commercial model I think with a lot more weight. Just search the Honda Generator site for more info. The reason that I mention the availability is that on another thread there was mention of the 2000 model not being available anymore. Good Luck Benny

Old 03-23-2003, 06:37 PM   #37

EU2000 or EU3000...

Irv:

Right, with the AC on, and we want to use the microwave, I reach over and turn the thermostat up so the AC compressor cycles off during that time. It's 'either/or'.

When using the (8,000btu) AC the generator has to be set on 'constant run', not ECO mode. It'll kick off when the AC tries to re-start with the generator on ECO. On constant run it's OK. :)