Self contained possibilities - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2003, 09:02 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Self contained possibilities

Hello,
I will soon own a 13 foot Scamp. I am interested in becomeing self contained for three to four days at a time. My next question to all you educated/experienced folks is: Would you suggest the Honda 2000 or do you know of another small, lite weight generator? I would need to be able to pick it up, senior female here!! I would need to use the 7100 BTU air conditioner, a microwave or television and lights or the fridge if not on gas. I appreciate your advise. Julie

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 10:21 AM   #2

Julie ... first, let me tell you that I don't have a Honda generator.

I've tried to get one in the past, but found that most owners chain them to their rigs.:)

A Honda eu 2000 weight 46 pounds (21 kg) (dry), with a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallons (another 8 pounds)(3.6 kg), so I suggest you fill and weigh a suitcase to total 54 pounds (24.6kg) and see if you can comfortably lift it with one hand.

If so, you can lift the Honda generator (other makes/models may weigh more) so do your homework!

Old 03-16-2003, 10:56 AM   #3

Charles, thanks for your advise, it is good. I do believe that I can lift it. I would like to attach it to the back of the Scamp, I think it may cause a sway, I don't need that. I could put it on the back while camping though. I have a hitch receiver on the Scamp now. My main concern is, would the Honda 2000 do the job for me if I am careful with my electical needs? Has anyone used a generator to run their air conditioning in the South? Julie

Old 03-16-2003, 12:37 PM   #4

suggestion only

Talk to the honda sales and ask if they would convert 0ne to operate on lp gas,(this can be done) Have a repair shop to make a frame just above the tank to fit the rubber feet on the honda,(this can be done) the rubber feet bolts will be the mounting bolts (6mm)to secure the honda.(This can be done) Use a bicycle locking chain as a backup security in case charles comes around after you go to bed.:bed :zz

Old 03-16-2003, 01:30 PM   #5

Yes, you can....

Sure, the eu2000i would be plenty for your needs. We have run our a/c for hours on end, and used everything else at the same time, except the microwave. As you've read elsewhere, many of us use the Honda because it is, by far, one of the quietest and lightest. Throttles down when the electric demand lowers. Special electronics filtering that's easy on your on-board electric/electronic devices. Good run time (all day or all night) on a tank of gas. And did I say quietest? We use our safety chains and a padlock as the anchor when we're running it. Carry it inside the trailer or tow vehicle when traveling. If you're buying one, most of us have purchased on-line at about $300 under the local dealer's price. Do a search, many sources named here. Honda's only drawback, it is expensive compared to the noisemaker brands you can buy for half the price at Costco and Sams. (The smaller Honda eu1000 is not adequate for the a/c.)

There is one other Japanese brand that some think is similar in characteristics---I think it was Yamaha. Please someone, jump in and correct that, if I'm wrong.

Get the 12 volt jumper cable accessory. ($10+/-.) It would be good to have if one of your batteries becomes exhausted---of course that should never happen if you are using the generator in the first place.

Charles, come on----break down and buy Pam a Honda for St. Patrick's Day or some other grand occasion.

Old 03-16-2003, 01:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Orginally posted by roy tarr

Talk to the honda sales and ask if they would convert 0ne to operate on lp gas,(this can be done) Have a repair shop to make a frame just above the tank to fit the rubber feet on the honda,(this can be done) the rubber feet bolts will be the mounting bolts (6mm)to secure the honda.(This can be done) Use a bicycle locking chain as a backup security in case charles comes around after you go to bed.:bed :zz
They can really do this. I think some one (maybe you) mentioned this before, but I thought, yea right. but this is for real?? no more gas tanks to spill. I want one. for lp. thanks

Old 03-16-2003, 01:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Orginally posted by Charles Watts
I don't have a Honda generator.
I've tried to get one in the past, but found that most owners chain them to their rigs.:)
Now--------I just remembered why we chain our generator to our trailer!;)

Old 03-16-2003, 01:44 PM   #8

Yes, Jana

Benita discovered and posted a couple of links about propane conversions on gasoline generators, including, but not limited to, the eu2000i. Roy's going to try it out, I think. Depending on how it works out for him, I think a few more of us might go for it. It would be nice to have one fuel for the trailer and not have to tote a can of gas.

(Of course, I would never be one to run out of gas in the car. Yea, right!---well I can call Good Sams Road Service for that. I doubt they would bring me gas for the generator, nor propane, for that matter.)

Old 03-16-2003, 03:29 PM   #9

Thanks George, I just found that. Benitas so helpful. I don't think I was in the mood on 3/8 to look at conversions. but there they were waiting for me today. Thanks Benita.
Do you think they will start making them with the kit installed? ever?

Old 03-16-2003, 04:39 PM   #10

In addition to the Honda, very similar gensets are made by Yamaha and Mitsubishi, altho I was told by a (seemed to me) knowledgeable tech in Calif, whose store sold both Mitsu and Honda that "the mitsu's electronics are bulletproof, but they tend to coke up (carbon buildup) the exhaust system in the econo-throttle mode".

Lots of folks on lots of RV groups have gotten Hondas from Mayberry's with good results.

Pete and Rats

PS Like Charles, I don't have one yet as I first need to invest in a lock-pick set...

Old 03-16-2003, 05:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Orginally posted by Pete Dumbleton

Lots of folks on lots of RV groups have gotten Hondas from Mayberry's with good results.
We got ours from Mayberry's. $859.00 with free shipping. It arrived in 5 days. All I had to do was add oil & gas and pull the starter rope.:)

Old 03-18-2003, 02:33 AM   #12

EU2000i

Is the 2000i really enough for a roof air? I was told I needed the 3000i, (at twice the price and weight). It would be great if the 2000i would work. :)

Old 03-18-2003, 07:34 AM   #13

2000i

Quote:
Orginally posted by Don H.

Is the 2000i really enough for a roof air? I was told I needed the 3000i, (at twice the price and weight). It would be great if the 2000i would work. :)
It (the 2000i) runs the roof air on our 5W with no sweat. Pun intended.;)

Old 03-18-2003, 07:35 AM   #14

Hi Don! Welcome to the group!

The Honda 2000 will run the smaller a/c's used in our little fiberglass wonders. I know a number of folks who run the a/c with the trusty little generators in even the hottest climates.

Hey, you didn't fill out your "profile" available in "My Home," so I don't know what size rig you have (or are hoping to have). I don't think the Honda 2000 would work for a Class A motorhome, however.

But if you are like the rest of us tiny-fiberglass-lovers, the Honda 2000 is a dream-come-true.

I've spent many sleepless nights thinking about getting one!

Old 03-18-2003, 07:37 AM   #15

Attention all honda generator owners!

Y'all know Pete and I are just joking about taking your generators!

You don't have to lock them down when we're around!

Trust us!

For example, last year, I had the pleasure of camping next to the Fiberglassrv.com webmaster.

I was constantly double-checking his little generator box, to make sure Michael had locked it!

Old 03-18-2003, 08:08 AM   #16

Alfonso Bedoya rides again!

:mex

Where have I seen that guy before?

"You don' gotta put no steenkin' chains on that leetle generator! Trust us! Put away those damn chains! We are your friennnnnndz!"

Old 03-18-2003, 12:10 PM   #17

Charles
The other day when I went to see my son,One of the things I noticed was a HONDA Gen Set sitting on deck of new house being built.Oh what a nice photo that would have been.It just kept saying (take me home;) )

Old 03-18-2003, 12:20 PM   #18

lp conversion for honda

:wave received the lp conversion package yesterday. 1st impression,:sad going to take a very simple unit and complicate it,2nd ;) quality parts supplied for change over.3rd.:o will be adding parts to outside of honda.:zz maybe had better sleep on this:zz :zz :zz Called supplier and will be returning the lp conversion kit.:conf

Old 03-18-2003, 06:15 PM   #19

EU2000i for air

Y'all sure sound like you know what your talking about. Why all the gloom and doom predictions on some other sites about using the EU2000i for running roof airs? One guy said it would wreck both the air conditioner and the generator!

This would sure make my desert trips more enjoyable!

By the way, I've also done business with Mayberrys on some water pumps and the service was great!

Old 03-18-2003, 06:18 PM   #20

Hi Don
Welcome to this forum.You will find lots of good ideas.Post lots and enjoy.:wave