self stick tiles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #1

Name: peter
Trailer: 1984 17’ Bigfoot
British Columbia
self stick tiles

I ordered some self stick one foot square flooring tiles and some self stick subway style tiles for the backsplash behind the sink. these things are not installed yet.
I have learned that they are not to be installed in areas where it might freeze as the adhesive wont hold.
Does anyone know if I can use some aditional floor adhesive to make them work?
thank you in advance
Uncle Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:09 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
The adhesive on the tile will stick ,if you do it in a warm environment and both the glue surface and substrate are warm. If the substrate you are sticking it to is smooth and clean, free of any wax or grease or releasing agents. The glue on most things won't stick properly if it's freezing.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:59 PM   #3

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
I used the Peel & Stick on the wall in the kitchen area. It was the first thing I did to the trailer, when we got it just over two years ago. It has been below freezing a few times and I've not had any problems with it not sticking. I did have to use some Gorilla Glue on a few pieces, but those were small pieces that I had to cut out to fill in a small area and not an entire sheet. I figured it was small enough it didn't have enough adhesion on it.

Not familiar with the flooring tiles.

The first photo was taken before we installed the cellular shades. Second photo shows with the shade pulled down (for those wondering what the shades look like in an Escape.)
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04904.jpg   DSC05348.jpg  

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've used the peel-n-stick tiles in a number of applications. They work reasonably well depending on where and how you use them.
The substrate you are applying them too should be clean, dry and free from from grease, wax and any other debris. It should be smooth and flat. If it isn't smooth, sanding will help adhesion. If you sand, be sure to vacuum away ALL dust and wipe with a tack cloth.

Both the tile and substrate should be warm so the glue will relax and bond to the substrate. Try not to remove and reapply them, the glue doesn't work as well the second time the tile is applied. Press firmly into place. Putting some weight on them over night aids adhesion.
Once the glue has bonded cold shouldn't be a problem.
Regular tiles work better. You apply the adhesive to the substrate. The adhesive penetrates the voids and irregularities of the substrate for a more complete "contact". The back of the tile will be smooth so complete contact with the adhesive won't be an issue.
Peel-n-stick tiles have a limited amount of adhesive which may not be sufficient in some applications.
Another problem with peel-n-stick tiles is that there is usually a tiny void between them when applied. Regular tiles that use adhesive applied to the substrate will have this layer of adhesive over any spaces between tiles. When used in wet/damp areas, moisture can penetrate the tiny spaces between the peel-n-stick tiles, soak into the substrate and cause the substrate to delaminate and/or cause the growth of mold.
That's why sheet vinyl flooring is a better choice for damp/wet areas.
Good luck with your project!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #5

Name: Michel
Trailer: Trillium
Quebec
Wall Tile

Hello Laura,

I am interested in knowing where you purchase that tile... I like the desing of it and we are planing on installing some in our Trillium.

Thank's
Michel
michelvachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #6

British Columbia
Hey Mike can I use regular adhesive or ? with these peel and stick tiles?
Old 01-23-2019, 04:43 PM   #7

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pen View Post
Hey Mike can I use regular adhesive or ? with these peel and stick tiles?
Peel and stick has the adhesive on it already. If the temps are warm and your substrate is clean they will stick on their own.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #8

British Columbia
Yes I was just pondering Mikes thought that the seams are not watertight. I guess what I am asking is if there is a downside to using regular glue with a peel and stick tile?
Old 01-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #9

Washington
I got sheets of the tile I used at Lowe's, but they don't really have that much of it these days. I was told they went mainly to customers ordering them online. I think Home Depot has some as well. You can also find it online. Smart Tiles has some nice ones at their website:

https://www.thesmarttiles.com/en_us/tiles/

They're the same as the Peel & Stick.

One tricky thing about the design I chose and if I had known this ahead of time I would have picked something else. Since it's a curved design, I had a heck of a time filling in the gaps between the design and the top of the backsplash. I had to cut tiny little bits so you wouldn't see the wall behind, which was a slightly different color of white than the tiles. Maybe others wouldn't have seen it, but I did, so I had to cover it up. What PITA that was. Those were the pieces I mainly had to use more adhesive on as they were so small.

In the future, if I were to use them again, I'd pick a design that's straight. A friend of mine used them in her old and current motorhome (and her house) and she had a much easier time of it since hers was a straight pattern.

I soon discovered that since the wall in the Escape is padded I was able to push in a bit and put the tile over the edge and behind the trim. That made for a much better, cleaner edge.

And getting it to fix around the curve of the window frame wasn't exactly easy. It also didn't help that I don't have a lot of patience and eventually I figured the blinds would cover any problems.

I'd also suggest that you start on an area that won't be as readily seen such as behind the stovetop, so any beginner "issues" won't be as easily seen as in a more visible area (such as behind the sink right by the front door and the first place everyone looks at). Either nobody really notices those issues or they're being polite.

Overall though, I'm very pleased with how it looks. Trailer Life had an article on using them last year and I submitted a photo of it in the trailer and they actually published it (and my comments) in the letters section! It came out just before the trailer rally in Bandon Oregon last year and two folks that toured the trailer saw the article. One woman said my kitchen looked really familiar to her and when I mentioned the article she said "that's it". Small world!

Old 01-24-2019, 06:37 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I believe the warning about not using the product in areas subject to freezing is not about installation but long-term performance. From what I’ve seen most residential finish materials come with a similar warning, “not for RV’s.” In my opinion they are just avoiding liability for reduced performance in the extremes of heat, cold, humidity, vibration, and wear to which RV's are subject. They were not designed or tested for those conditions.

Do installation conditions matter? Of course. Might a stronger adhesive hold better? Quite possibly. But that has to be balanced against the need to remove and replace it in the future. Will you destroy the substrate during removal? Will that matter? Nothing lasts forever.

I think I'd be inclined to use the self-adhesive first, and only go to something stronger if it comes loose.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Uncle Pen,
I haven't used extra glue on the peel-n-stick tiles myself so I can't speak from experience.
I would ask the supplier/retailer to recommend a compatible glue.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #12

British Columbia
will do thanks
Old 01-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #13

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I used the Peel & Stick on the wall in the kitchen area. It was the first thing I did to the trailer, when we got it just over two years ago. It has been below freezing a few times and I've not had any problems with it not sticking. I did have to use some Gorilla Glue on a few pieces, but those were small pieces that I had to cut out to fill in a small area and not an entire sheet. I figured it was small enough it didn't have enough adhesion on it.

Not familiar with the flooring tiles.

The first photo was taken before we installed the cellular shades. Second photo shows with the shade pulled down (for those wondering what the shades look like in an Escape.)

Can you let me know how thick your peel and stick tiles are. There seems to be a difference. I picked up some Self Adhesive brushed metal tiles to do my backsplash, but they are 4mm thick about 1/8th inch thick. Wondering if this will stick/stay stuck to the ensolite in my boler.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:51 PM   #14

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
The ensolite will be too rough a surface and you wouldn't get good adhesion. Iused 1/4 inch plywood and glued glossy arborite to it. Then I added the peel and stick tile. The whole thing is stuck up under the upper cabinet and behind the countertop.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_103323.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	127730
Old 01-30-2019, 10:23 PM   #15

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
The ensolite will be too rough a surface and you wouldn't get good adhesion. Iused 1/4 inch plywood and glued glossy arborite to it. Then I added the peel and stick tile. The whole thing is stuck up under the upper cabinet and behind the countertop.Attachment 127730
Thanks we have talked about this before, and I was just going to use the aborite, as it will be too thick if I used both plywood, arborite then put on my tiles. Will add almost 1/2". Some one here put their smart tiles directly onto the ensolite without issue, but I am wondering if they are the really thin ones.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:25 AM   #16

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post
Can you let me know how thick your peel and stick tiles are. There seems to be a difference. I picked up some Self Adhesive brushed metal tiles to do my backsplash, but they are 4mm thick about 1/8th inch thick. Wondering if this will stick/stay stuck to the ensolite in my boler.

I haven't a clue as to how thick it is. I've never used another similar product, so I can't say if it was thicker or thinner than other products.

I'm not familiar with Bolers, so I can't help you out there. Are you able to put it up in a small area to see how it works before you purchase a bunch of it?

Looks like someone else gave a suggestion on how to work around your surface situation. If the wood he used was too thick for your trailer, maybe something thinner?

Good luck!

Oh, when I was at the rally in Bandon last summer, I did see several other trailers with Peel n Stick in their kitchen area. However, I don't remember what brand they were as most of those small ones were new to me. They didn't have bathrooms is what I remember most.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:52 AM   #17

Name: Ross
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Registry
Smart tiles on wall dividing bathroom and kitchen in trillium 4500.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4024.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	127732
Seaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #18

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaross View Post
Smart tiles on wall dividing bathroom and kitchen in trillium 4500.

: :

Old 02-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I replaced my earlier stick on "metal-looking" tiles with newer/thinner "subway tiles". Note: nothing in a Casita is square! Measure six times, cut once or twice ...
Attached Thumbnails
casita_subway_tile_2.jpg   casita_subway_tile.jpg  

brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote