"Senga" - 1991 Scamp 13' renovation - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #15

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
WOW! You guys are doing a great job and, from the looks of it, you are taking the time to do it right. I am looking forward to seeing the final product as well as all of the steps along the way.

DJ

Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #16

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
I can't wait to see this finished! Great start! Thanks so much for sharing this information. Others will benefit greatly.

Off to Effingham tomorrow at 6 AM. I wonder if we see any campers there with VWs. We saw one the last time we were there, but the owner just had the camper; he was not bitten by the bug like the rest of us here. He didn't even know he had a Boler.

CindyL

Old 05-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #17

Name: Ollie
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Registry
Thanks! Lots to do but having a great time

That's a shame, Cindy.. what was he pulling it with?
As you might have guessed, we won't be doing Funfest this time. I got waylaid to North Carolina for the weekend and have gone a bit over budget lately on show travel/gas. Oh well- it will be more fun to hit the next show with Senga all clean and sporting actual bed cushions, etc.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #18

Illinois
Registry
Sorry, I don't remember. Either a pickup or a van. Likely the latter. There are usually few/none pickups. If I find a picture, I will post it. I think I remember taking pix. I know we took pix of an Eriba camper.

CindyL
Old 06-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #19

Name: Tabitha
Virginia
well, it's come to the realization that i'd make a terrible sweatshop worker.

Got one cushion sewn. the sewing part is easy... it's just a crap-ton of pinning!

Click image for larger version

Name:	cushion1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	47196 Click image for larger version

Name:	cushion2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	47197

it's just stuffed with a blanket here. going to wait until they're all sewn and we decide that the new mattress is a keeper before cutting up the old one.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #20

Name: Ginny
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13 ft.
Massachusetts
Registry
I am impressed beyond words. Our Scamp cushions are in perfect shape but the brown is a little boring. I think I'm going to try to make some colorful seat covers this coming winter.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerB View Post
I am impressed beyond words. Our Scamp cushions are in perfect shape but the brown is a little boring. I think I'm going to try to make some colorful seat covers this coming winter.
Sigh, mine are also boring. I'm considering throw pillows and brighter curtain material to make up for that "boring" look. I figure that would be easier and cheaper than replacing the cushion fabric... I don't sew. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #22

Illinois
Registry
We are here at FunFest. We went on the cruise last night (only Eurovan. People taking pix ignored us. Hey, we were unique!). There was an adorable pink Beetle (old version) pulling a matching pink teardrop. I will post pix later. Clearly, it was a teardrop for looks, not use. Just unused pillows inside.

CindyL
Old 06-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #23

Virginia
Registry
Sorry the Eurovan didn't get any attention from the airsnobs
I'm sure the teardrop sheds a tear for a life not lived
I saw a pink faux-splitwindow beetle (I think an early 60s with a few 51-52 transplants) pulling a pink teardrop on Gotland, Sweden..will have to dig out the pic.
Hope you had a great time at the show!

I was just thinking.. I have two 12v fantastic vent fans (the free-standing kind)- I won one as a doorprize at a Tin Can Tourists meet in NC and the other at the Vintage Trailer jam in Saratoga Springs. Since I really don't use both as portables, does anyone have any suggestions for where to mount one permanently in the Scamp? I would take it out of the plastic box.. Or the best place to use one as is to cool it down?

Here's what the company says about them- Low Sound Levels
Multi-Purpose
Low Amp Draw 1.2-2.6
12 Volt Plug with 5' Cord
110 Volt operation with a
4 amp Converter (not provided)
High Air Velocity-Like a
constant 10 mph Breeze

Old 06-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #24

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Sigh, mine are also boring. I'm considering throw pillows and brighter curtain material to make up for that "boring" look. I figure that would be easier and cheaper than replacing the cushion fabric... I don't sew. YMMV
Thanks! I think the project would be much less daunting\time consuming without the addition of the piping on the edges. I'd say it easily doubles the amount of work involved in the whole thing, at least as far as this fabric is concerned. would be much easier with an allover pattern, or even stripes. the big squares actually makes cutting out pieces, and lining things up much more complicated. heh.

Anyway. got the other base dinette cushion done and all the pieces of the top ones cut out. having a terrible day sewing though. keep breaking needles for some reason and i'm fresh out, now. guess that means a trip to the fabric store tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #25

Name: Teri
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
Ohio
Towing with VW

Hello,

Great post! I love seeing the renovation photos.

Have you towed with your VW? I have a VW Golf TDI and am looking for a small camper it will tow. I was wondering how your VW tows.

Thanks,
Teri
Old 06-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #26

Virginia
Registry
Thanks We've only towed the Scamp about 5 hours total so far but no complaints, It seems to pull very straight and steady. I pulled my Eriba Puck cross country a couple times as well as in the mountains and down from Massachusetts. I think a diesel is definitely a better choice for mountain grades in the long run but the 2.0 has held its own. The Puck did seem to sway more than the Scamp in the wake of tractor trailers. I suspect that's a comment on the Puck's low weight/ similar side area. I towed a homebuilt teardrop (probably under 500lbs) and it was unaffected by the semis.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #27

Name: Teri
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
Ohio
Thanks for the quick response!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #28

Virginia
Yay! Got all the covers for the dinette sewn up. *phew*

Name:	cushion3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	47292

and Ollie got some themed birthday presents.

Name:	present.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	47293

Tags
scamp