"Senga" - 1991 Scamp 13' renovation - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #57

Name: Tabitha
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I know I'm pullin' his chain. Beautiful work. Love the new Scamp graphics.
thanks!

and i figured as much. just figured i'd provide details in case someone didn't know why there was so many holes. or liked them and wants their own...

in which case, i should probably also say that they're Wheel Vintiques model 12-451203. 14" diameter, 5" width, 5x4.5/4.75 bolt pattern, 3" rear spacing. we got them from Summit Racing (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WVI-12-451203/).

on another note. apparently trying to put on old style tail lights leads to removing benches and replacing moar flooring.. and probably a vast rewiring project.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #58

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixVW View Post
Time to move the Scamp beyond the welcome thread
Inspiring thread!!!

I have a question? What kind of door/hatch is that on the closet (outside)? I'm hoping to put AC in the closet of my 13", but want it to shut up water tight when not in use.

In the image on the left of your very first post of this thread, in case it's unclear what I'm talking about. Looks like you removed it and patched the whole thing.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #59

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
I have a question? What kind of door/hatch is that on the closet (outside)? I'm hoping to put AC in the closet of my 13", but want it to shut up water tight when not in use.
the hatch door cover in the picture wasn't ever permanently installed because one of the rivets that holds the closet shell in place is partially in the way. (not enough to use it as an anchor point, but too much so that it's in the way.)

an old owner (not the one we bought it from) did have an A/C there, but cut the hole bigger that it seems most of the stock size doors/vents are. I would suggest getting an idea of the size vent space you need, finding an actual vent or door BEFORE cutting a hole. i don't think the person that cut it open had any idea what they were going to use

the person we bought the trailer from tried a few different things (that access hatch, a larger vent like the one above the belly band there, etc) but didn't find a permanent solution, so right now it's just a piece of sheet metal with folded edges taped to the outside over the hole.

we're still deciding whether to just fiberglass the hole up or not. we have the air conditioner that was there, which would be nice to have, but we're in the same situation as you with the smaller tow vehicle and we want to keep the weight of the trailer down. I think we'll probably wait till after a proper camping trip with the fans he posted about earlier to see how bearable the heat is to make a final decision on that.

Okay. Ollie actually just went and took some pictures of it, and the situation isn't even as good as I thought it was. I thought the thing was an actual hinged hatch, but it's not. it's possibly the frame from a hatch, but the cover piece isn't attached to it in any way, nor does it have a hinge portion.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac-cover.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	48182
(that's the rivet that gets in the way when the frame is in the proper position. i was thinking maybe the frame could be notched around it or something, but now knowing that it's not a proper hatch it's not even worth thinking about in our case)

Scamp has a couple vent hatches for refrigerators that might be about the right size (Scamp Trailers - Vents and Lids) but I think for the sake of a smoother appearance and general water-tightness issues, I'd want one without the vents and i'd just prop it open when the A/C was in use.. and put a piece of screen on the inside of the hole to keep the bugs out. Will have to look elsewhere for one of those, though.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #60

British Columbia
Awesome info! Above and beyond the call.

I'm not going to start cutting until it's all straight in my head just what is going to happen. I have the unit to start inspecting and measuring. Vent/hatch is a primary mission item at this point. When not in use I want that thing air tight. I think it's going to see a LOT more rain than AC use this next year.

I have a bit of a mess I've made, just started pulling parts of my interior out and I'm hesitating getting into it seriously. I have all the interior changes well laid out and I have most of the materials and parts. But I'm still hesitating, I'm just nervous and feeling lazy. It's hot out there. So seeing your project is motivating. I just wish I had you're work space. Working in the New Mexico summer sun is challenging. Perhaps I should get that AC in there first???
Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #61

Virginia
I wouldn't admire it too much. it's just a parking lot about 150' across the street from our apartment. no access to electricity or anything to recommend it.

Virginia certainly isn't much better than New Mexico, if it is at all. it was 93 degrees at 10 this morning, with icky icky humidity.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #62

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I wouldn't admire it too much. it's just a parking lot about 150' across the street from our apartment. no access to electricity or anything to recommend it.

Virginia certainly isn't much better than New Mexico, if it is at all. it was 93 degrees at 10 this morning, with icky icky humidity.
Looked like it was under a roof! That would be a huge step up for me! I'll mostly be working at 6900 feet, the sun beats down and there's only thin air to block it. It's a dry heat, but one so dry that'll suck the water and electrolytes out of you fast. But I know southern humidity and it'll suck the work out of you like nothing else. All I want to do down there (family's from Alabama) in summer is seek sweet tea, AC and/or a boat on a natural body of water.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #63

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Looked like it was under a roof! That would be a huge step up for me! I'll mostly be working at 6900 feet, the sun beats down and there's only thin air to block it. It's a dry heat, but one so dry that'll suck the water and electrolytes out of you fast. But I know southern humidity and it'll suck the work out of you like nothing else. All I want to do down there (family's from Alabama) in summer is seek sweet tea, AC and/or a boat on a natural body of water.
Ahh. we did get to work under a roof the day we picked it up and replaced the vent with the PO's help.. but mostly the same, out under the beating sun. (it was still hot as heck in the big barn, though.)
Old 06-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #64

British Columbia
Quote:
Ahh. we did get to work under a roof the day we picked it up and replaced the vent with the PO's help.. but mostly the same, out under the beating sun. (it was still hot as heck in the big barn, though.)
OK, then I'm not jealous anymore.

I have no excuse really, and the summer is getting away from me. This has turned out to be a lot more complex than I'd expected and I'm a bit of a perfectionist. At least I'm stubborn about doing things my way, very deliberately. And that can be a very slow way to get things done.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #65

Name: Whitney
Trailer: 1995 Scamp!
California
Just got our 95 13ft Scamp today! We too have the interior "fuzzy" walls. Do you plan or have you already, removed it? If you have removed, please let me know how! It looks slightly intimidating. Ours is in amazing shape and we seem to only have cosmetic projects ahead! I am truly inspired by your work!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #66

Name: Ollie
Virginia
Registry
The fuzzy "rat fur" was already sagging and falling off in ours. We took out the top piece that runs from the top of the front to the top of the back window. The glue is mostly shot at this point so what was left succumbed with a bit of tugging. The main trouble was drilling out the rivets that hold the curtain rod hooks as these are installed over the rat fur. Of course the rest of the removal will mean taking out the counter and closet as it runs behind those. Wish we had the elephant skin/ensolite or the quilted vinyl that Compacts have. The rat fur probably has better sound insulation and maybe better heat but ours is just too 'fragrant'/spotty and we both prefer something easy to wipe down that doesn't hold on to food smells, etc. We'll be looking at reusing the astrofoil with new vinyl on top I guess. Have to finish replacing floors first, though.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #67

British Columbia
My rat fur is in good shape, but there is a slightly stale smell to the trailer, nothing strong, but especially when it's been complete shut up for a bit. I was thinking a steam clean was in order, but I've also contemplated replacing it or keeping it as a layer of insulation and covering it with another non porous material. I've also been known to spend time on the flats in Black Rock desert out in Nevada (The Playa to most who know it) and the talc like "sands" would get sucked into the rat fur and never come out. I'd love an interior I could either wipe down to clean or in the case of cushion covers, remove and wash. Permanently attached fuzzy walls is dubious, but I was quite cozy in the Scamp in some very, very cold conditions this past winter. So I guess there's a reason it's used.

So please share any thoughts on alternative wall coverings.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #68

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Quote:
We got all of that outta there. Then put in a piece of aluminum as reinforcing,
epoxy-plastic-welder holding it in place.

Last piece in, and hole from missing piece filled in with epoxy
What did you use to fabricate the missing pieces, and did you use a plastic specific paint to paint it or just a "generic" paint.

Mine has several missing pieces and I know most of it will be covered with the seal, but still want it looking good.

Thanks for all the photos and details by the way, its looking fantastic!!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #69

Name: Whitney
Trailer: 1995 Scamp!
California
Have you tried the website Yakaz.com? things seem to sell there fast. Good Luck!!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #70

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear
l. I've also been known to spend time on the flats in Black Rock desert out in Nevada (The Playa to most who know it) and the talc like "sands" would get sucked into the rat fur and never come out. I'd love an interior I could either wipe down to clean or in the case of cushion covers, remove and wash. ..
I am so happy my 1980 came with elephant skin and the vinyl seat covers. Trailer of my dreams for the playa. Hope you were able to get a ticket ok

Tags
scamp