"Senga" - 1991 Scamp 13' renovation - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #61

Name: Tabitha
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
I wouldn't admire it too much. it's just a parking lot about 150' across the street from our apartment. no access to electricity or anything to recommend it.

Virginia certainly isn't much better than New Mexico, if it is at all. it was 93 degrees at 10 this morning, with icky icky humidity.
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #62

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I wouldn't admire it too much. it's just a parking lot about 150' across the street from our apartment. no access to electricity or anything to recommend it.

Virginia certainly isn't much better than New Mexico, if it is at all. it was 93 degrees at 10 this morning, with icky icky humidity.
Looked like it was under a roof! That would be a huge step up for me! I'll mostly be working at 6900 feet, the sun beats down and there's only thin air to block it. It's a dry heat, but one so dry that'll suck the water and electrolytes out of you fast. But I know southern humidity and it'll suck the work out of you like nothing else. All I want to do down there (family's from Alabama) in summer is seek sweet tea, AC and/or a boat on a natural body of water.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #63

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Looked like it was under a roof! That would be a huge step up for me! I'll mostly be working at 6900 feet, the sun beats down and there's only thin air to block it. It's a dry heat, but one so dry that'll suck the water and electrolytes out of you fast. But I know southern humidity and it'll suck the work out of you like nothing else. All I want to do down there (family's from Alabama) in summer is seek sweet tea, AC and/or a boat on a natural body of water.
Ahh. we did get to work under a roof the day we picked it up and replaced the vent with the PO's help.. but mostly the same, out under the beating sun. (it was still hot as heck in the big barn, though.)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #64

British Columbia
Quote:
Ahh. we did get to work under a roof the day we picked it up and replaced the vent with the PO's help.. but mostly the same, out under the beating sun. (it was still hot as heck in the big barn, though.)
OK, then I'm not jealous anymore.

I have no excuse really, and the summer is getting away from me. This has turned out to be a lot more complex than I'd expected and I'm a bit of a perfectionist. At least I'm stubborn about doing things my way, very deliberately. And that can be a very slow way to get things done.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #65

Name: Whitney
Trailer: 1995 Scamp!
California
Just got our 95 13ft Scamp today! We too have the interior "fuzzy" walls. Do you plan or have you already, removed it? If you have removed, please let me know how! It looks slightly intimidating. Ours is in amazing shape and we seem to only have cosmetic projects ahead! I am truly inspired by your work!
AbitWhitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #66

Name: Ollie
Virginia
Registry
The fuzzy "rat fur" was already sagging and falling off in ours. We took out the top piece that runs from the top of the front to the top of the back window. The glue is mostly shot at this point so what was left succumbed with a bit of tugging. The main trouble was drilling out the rivets that hold the curtain rod hooks as these are installed over the rat fur. Of course the rest of the removal will mean taking out the counter and closet as it runs behind those. Wish we had the elephant skin/ensolite or the quilted vinyl that Compacts have. The rat fur probably has better sound insulation and maybe better heat but ours is just too 'fragrant'/spotty and we both prefer something easy to wipe down that doesn't hold on to food smells, etc. We'll be looking at reusing the astrofoil with new vinyl on top I guess. Have to finish replacing floors first, though.
FelixVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #67

British Columbia
My rat fur is in good shape, but there is a slightly stale smell to the trailer, nothing strong, but especially when it's been complete shut up for a bit. I was thinking a steam clean was in order, but I've also contemplated replacing it or keeping it as a layer of insulation and covering it with another non porous material. I've also been known to spend time on the flats in Black Rock desert out in Nevada (The Playa to most who know it) and the talc like "sands" would get sucked into the rat fur and never come out. I'd love an interior I could either wipe down to clean or in the case of cushion covers, remove and wash. Permanently attached fuzzy walls is dubious, but I was quite cozy in the Scamp in some very, very cold conditions this past winter. So I guess there's a reason it's used.

So please share any thoughts on alternative wall coverings.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #68

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Quote:
We got all of that outta there. Then put in a piece of aluminum as reinforcing,
epoxy-plastic-welder holding it in place.

Last piece in, and hole from missing piece filled in with epoxy
What did you use to fabricate the missing pieces, and did you use a plastic specific paint to paint it or just a "generic" paint.

Mine has several missing pieces and I know most of it will be covered with the seal, but still want it looking good.

Thanks for all the photos and details by the way, its looking fantastic!!
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #69

Name: Whitney
Trailer: 1995 Scamp!
California
Have you tried the website Yakaz.com? things seem to sell there fast. Good Luck!!
AbitWhitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #70

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear
l. I've also been known to spend time on the flats in Black Rock desert out in Nevada (The Playa to most who know it) and the talc like "sands" would get sucked into the rat fur and never come out. I'd love an interior I could either wipe down to clean or in the case of cushion covers, remove and wash. ..
I am so happy my 1980 came with elephant skin and the vinyl seat covers. Trailer of my dreams for the playa. Hope you were able to get a ticket ok
Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #71

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
I am so happy my 1980 came with elephant skin and the vinyl seat covers. Trailer of my dreams for the playa. Hope you were able to get a ticket ok
Now I kind of want a beater Scamp just for the playa. One of the first Scamps I came across was playa prepped, but mostly it was trashed. They wanted way too much for it. And the owner was saying he wanted to put >pink< furry walls IN for burning man. I think the heat and perhaps other things on playa may have been getting to his brain.

No ticket, but I have friends. May happen, may not. Letting the universe decide for me this year. Sure hope they figure out something to help with that situation in the years to come.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #72

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear
. Sure hope they figure out something to help with that situation in the years to come.
You and me both. Good luck and keep me posted. "barely" got mine last week. os the playa (and other stuff) will do that to a brain. LOL
Old 06-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #73

British Columbia
Just got very good news about tickets! Not for sure, but extremely encouraging, stupidly easy. Too easy?! One random face book message and I have a solid line on a ticket??!!

My rat fur may need a jacket!

Sorry, off topic!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #74

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
What did you use to fabricate the missing pieces, and did you use a plastic specific paint to paint it or just a "generic" paint. Mine has several missing pieces and I know most of it will be covered with the seal, but still want it looking good. Thanks for all the photos and details by the way, its looking fantastic!!
after putting in the aluminum bracing piece and reassembling the cracked parts, there was only a small piece of the plastic part missing in the center of the repaired area, so I just filled the whole space in with the plastic epoxy stuff. it worked well enough. we started using plastic paint and it worked okay for the inside of the door and other parts, but there was problems with it sticking to the main shell, so we switched to appliance epoxy paint after a coat or two of the plastic paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbitWhitty View Post
Just got our 95 13ft Scamp today! We too have the interior "fuzzy" walls. Do you plan or have you already, removed it? If you have removed, please let me know how! It looks slightly intimidating. Ours is in amazing shape and we seem to only have cosmetic projects ahead! I am truly inspired by your work!
Quote:
My rat fur is in good shape, but there is a slightly stale smell to the trailer, nothing strong, but especially when it's been complete shut up for a bit. I was thinking a steam clean was in order, but I've also contemplated replacing it or keeping it as a layer of insulation and covering it with another non porous material. I've also been known to spend time on the flats in Black Rock desert out in Nevada (The Playa to most who know it) and the talc like "sands" would get sucked into the rat fur and never come out. I'd love an interior I could either wipe down to clean or in the case of cushion covers, remove and wash. Permanently attached fuzzy walls is dubious, but I was quite cozy in the Scamp in some very, very cold conditions this past winter. So I guess there's a reason it's used. So please share any thoughts on alternative wall coverings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixVW View Post
The fuzzy "rat fur" was already sagging and falling off in ours. We took out the top piece that runs from the top of the front to the top of the back window. The glue is mostly shot at this point so what was left succumbed with a bit of tugging. The main trouble was drilling out the rivets that hold the curtain rod hooks as these are installed over the rat fur. Of course the rest of the removal will mean taking out the counter and closet as it runs behind those. Wish we had the elephant skin/ensolite or the quilted vinyl that Compacts have. The rat fur probably has better sound insulation and maybe better heat but ours is just too 'fragrant'/spotty and we both prefer something easy to wipe down that doesn't hold on to food smells, etc. We'll be looking at reusing the astrofoil with new vinyl on top I guess. Have to finish replacing floors first, though.
As Ollie said, we removed the roof piece of fur already. Ours is a bit beyond "a bit musty" unfortunately and we were thinking about trying to put the piece we took out in the washer to see how it cleaned up, but I am in agreement about having the smoother wipeable and non/less porous material. looking at our existing rivets, most of the caps/clips are in bad shape (most stuffed with silicone and grunge to keep the cap on), so I think a replacement job on most of them would be in order anyways.

Quote:
Just got very good news about tickets! Not for sure, but extremely encouraging, stupidly easy. Too easy?! One random face book message and I have a solid line on a ticket??!! My rat fur may need a jacket! Sorry, off topic!
I've heard plenty of stories about the Playa sand. yeah, I think taking something with rat fur into that is just asking for disaster. I'd probably swap the cushions for an air mattress on the bed, too. Excellent on the ticket lead. I'd love to make it out there sometime. this year is certainly out, but maybe next year.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #75

California
Registry
Thanks for the tips. Since they're hidden I'll definitely try that. And definitely come To the playa. Aim for next year!!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #76

British Columbia
May be time for a burners thread!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #77

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Ollie,

I live in Powhatan VA ( just west of Richmond). I bought '79 Scamp 16 last month and have been busy like you fixing it up.
I have a 4" thick piece of foam 24"x72" that I can sell you for cost (but no shipping fee). I bought 5 pieces for all new cushions, I should have bought 4 pieces that are 4" thick, and 1 piece that's 3" thick (for top bunk).
This is the foam I bought.

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/F...ler/index.html

Let me know if you would like to buy it from me. I drive down to Williamsburg/Newports New pretty often and can arrange a meet up to get it to you.

Thx
Ryan[
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #78

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Sewing break didn't last too long. 9' long x 8' wide.. all done except for putting grommets in and whatever will hold it into the awning rail. waiting until we actually get an awning rail to do that part
This is lovely! What type of fabric did you use? What size grommets?
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #79

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie and Claude View Post
This is lovely! What type of fabric did you use? What size grommets?
It was 54" wide Outdoor Canvas. Didn't spring the big bugs for the Sunbrella canvas. And haven't put the grommets in yet actually.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #80

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Thanks Tabitha. Will see if I can see/touch it at some of our local fabric shops.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp