Separating Fiberglass Shell from the Frame - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #15
Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
It is very easy to look at load bearing numbers on a chart and then not realize that it refers to the lumber being used in a specific orientation.
Except that's not what I did.

No matter how you want to run the numbers, two decent quality 2x4's laid flat under the width of the body are completely capable of safely holding the weight of an empty Compact Jr shell. If they're not, then the shell of my '72 Compact Jr has been miraculously hovering in air by itself for the last three weeks.

Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #16
Name: David
Trailer: Boler
WD 40 is similar but liquid wrench or some other penetrating oil might penetrate better.

Dave W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #17
Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 'Earlton' Boler - GMC Terrain
Talia: I found the photo of how we supported the Boler Shell; and, then removed the frame. The '6X6' may have been overkill; but my 'Gramps' taught me - - - "..for an extra buck, go first class", a phrase that has has stuck with me for about 70 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler rebuild 003.JPG  
Find yourself; and then others will find you.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:22 PM   #18
Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Burro
Vice grips on the screws from underneath are very helpful to loosen up rusted lag screws.

I had my Burro on jack stands for two months. 2x4's run front to back with 2x6's running width wise bolted to the 2x4's. I used two 'mobile' 2x4s to hold the new flooring in place before I fiberglassed it in. (different floor structure than most)

I used the scissor jack from my car on a pier block that I had in my yard to get the height I needed to clear the tires. Raised it one "click" on the jack stands at a time front to back. Would have been a little easier with two jacks.

After I pulled the frame out I stacked pier blocks and some wood scraps to give support in the middle of the 2x6's. After two months I can still see the sag in the middle of the 2x6's. I wouldn't support on the flat edge of a 2x6 without support in the middle.

Just tilt your head to the left a little to view.

The Burro is in my driveway. I think that I have met more neighbors in the past two months than I have in 25 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeanne D. in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:28 AM   #19
Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Of course the weight of the FGRVs does vary a lot. My little thin shelled Campster that has been gutted will weight a lot less than a Boler which has a shell that is much larger and thicker.

As to what support I would use...whatever is on hand that is suitable for the job. Or whatever I might need for a future project if I can't scare up enough salvage lumber. Of course being in an semi industrial area there are lots of pallets around that could be put to use to create a temporary deck platform. Just raft a bunch of pallets together and put a old piece of carpet on the top before sliding the shell onto it.

I am currently using a fully boarded pallet as my entry deck to the trailer. It is the perfect height for that one short step up to get into the trailer without bashing my head on the door frame or stressing my knees.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #20
Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1991 Scamp - "Ziggy"
great thread

Talia: I would like to add my thanks for a great write up that simplifies a complex problem. Very nicely written.

"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote