setting up a new thermostat for Suburban NT-12-SE Furnace - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
beardrum's Avatar
 
Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
Posts: 114
setting up a new thermostat for Suburban NT-12-SE Furnace

We're really enjoying our 2005 13' Scampp, purchased just this summer. Unfortunately, I managed to just about smash the old thermostat with the seat cushion, so I ordered a replacment from Scamp. The new thermostat seems to be exactly like the original. But the installation instructions suggest being sure the heat anticipator setting is correct. According to the instructions I could do that by pulling the whole furnace out to look at what's stamped on the gas valve, but I'd rather not. The furnace documentation itself is woefully unhelpful.

Can anybody tell me what the proper anticipator setting should be? Somewhere between .15 and 1.2 Amps. It is set just uner the cover on the little rotating dial.

Thanks!

Chuck
__________________

__________________
Chuck
2015 16' Deluxe Scamp, Layout "B"
2007 Highlander
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
That is normally the draw when running, you maybe able to hook up a meter and check it that way. Personally, I'd switch to a digital, where you can set the anticipation which, if too much, can cause heat swings.
__________________

__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 4,722
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
....you can set the anticipation which, if too much, can cause heat swings.
'splains a lot about my wife.

I agree with Jim, I finally switched to a digital thermostat this year. It gives you way better control over the heat setting, is more accurate, and displays the temperature in a way you can actually tell what it is. Plus, it allows you to display temps in either C or F.

We pretty much leave ours set at 10C (50F) at night, up to 18 (64.4 F) for rousing in the morning and for evenings should we be in for some reason, and off the rest of the time.

Chuck, with the thermostat you got, you can just install it, then adjust the anticipator a bit either way if the cycling is either too often, or not often enough.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (January 26)
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Ice-breaker's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is normally the draw when running, you maybe able to hook up a meter and check it that way. Personally, I'd switch to a digital, where you can set the anticipation which, if too much, can cause heat swings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
'splains a lot about my wife.

I agree with Jim, I finally switched to a digital thermostat this year. It gives you way better control over the heat setting, is more accurate, and displays the temperature in a way you can actually tell what it is. Plus, it allows you to display temps in either C or F.

We pretty much leave ours set at 10C (50F) at night, up to 18 (64.4 F) for rousing in the morning and for evenings should we be in for some reason, and off the rest of the time.

Chuck, with the thermostat you got, you can just install it, then adjust the anticipator a bit either way if the cycling is either too often, or not often enough.
Can either Jim or Jim provide a link to a digital thermostat that you have used in your FG rv's?
__________________
Dave W - 2013 Escape 19', 2013 Escape 15B and 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 4,722
Registry
White Rodgers 1E78-140

This is a heat only one, with no programmed settings. What I wanted, sweet and simple (kinda like me ).
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (January 26)
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Posts: 1,226
Can you just look at the old thermostat and adjust the new one to the same position. If your furnace cycles ok you should be fine. If cycles are too short or long you can adjust further as has already been suggested by Jim B.
__________________
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Here is one I have installed in a couple of units, Coleman 8330A3241 Thermostat Trailer camper RV | eBay
__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
beardrum's Avatar
 
Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Can you just look at the old thermostat and adjust the new one to the same position. If your furnace cycles ok you should be fine. If cycles are too short or long you can adjust further as has already been suggested by Jim B.
As I was changing the bed into a dinette, the cushion swept the old thermostat cover off and bent/broke some of the thingys inside. I have no confidence that what I'm looking at (a setting of about 1.2 Amps) is correct. Hence the question, What's the original setting supposed to be?

It's easy to see, you just have to pull the plastic cover off and read the fine print on the dial inside (or even give me a clock position of the pointer, such as 5:00 o'clock, or 7 o'clock).

But I hear you, it's not a big deal to adjust it after the cycle establishes itself.

Thanks

-c
__________________

__________________
Chuck
2015 16' Deluxe Scamp, Layout "B"
2007 Highlander
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
furnace, scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suburban thermostat glennco Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 04-24-2013 12:57 PM
Suburban GT6-3A furnace help, please. Raya Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 15 06-22-2012 11:08 PM
Quieting a Suburban Furnace Rob and Linda Modifications, Alterations and Updates 29 04-05-2011 11:05 PM
Furnace and thermostat Diane D Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 10 02-28-2011 03:17 PM
Need help with reassembly of 70's suburban furnace Michael Collins Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 10-13-2010 07:32 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.