setting up a new thermostat for Suburban NT-12-SE Furnace - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #1

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
setting up a new thermostat for Suburban NT-12-SE Furnace

We're really enjoying our 2005 13' Scampp, purchased just this summer. Unfortunately, I managed to just about smash the old thermostat with the seat cushion, so I ordered a replacment from Scamp. The new thermostat seems to be exactly like the original. But the installation instructions suggest being sure the heat anticipator setting is correct. According to the instructions I could do that by pulling the whole furnace out to look at what's stamped on the gas valve, but I'd rather not. The furnace documentation itself is woefully unhelpful.

Can anybody tell me what the proper anticipator setting should be? Somewhere between .15 and 1.2 Amps. It is set just uner the cover on the little rotating dial.

Thanks!

Chuck
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That is normally the draw when running, you maybe able to hook up a meter and check it that way. Personally, I'd switch to a digital, where you can set the anticipation which, if too much, can cause heat swings.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
....you can set the anticipation which, if too much, can cause heat swings.
'splains a lot about my wife.

I agree with Jim, I finally switched to a digital thermostat this year. It gives you way better control over the heat setting, is more accurate, and displays the temperature in a way you can actually tell what it is. Plus, it allows you to display temps in either °C or °F.

We pretty much leave ours set at 10°C (50°F) at night, up to 18° (64.4 °F) for rousing in the morning and for evenings should we be in for some reason, and off the rest of the time.

Chuck, with the thermostat you got, you can just install it, then adjust the anticipator a bit either way if the cycling is either too often, or not often enough.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is normally the draw when running, you maybe able to hook up a meter and check it that way. Personally, I'd switch to a digital, where you can set the anticipation which, if too much, can cause heat swings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
'splains a lot about my wife.

I agree with Jim, I finally switched to a digital thermostat this year. It gives you way better control over the heat setting, is more accurate, and displays the temperature in a way you can actually tell what it is. Plus, it allows you to display temps in either °C or °F.

We pretty much leave ours set at 10°C (50°F) at night, up to 18° (64.4 °F) for rousing in the morning and for evenings should we be in for some reason, and off the rest of the time.

Chuck, with the thermostat you got, you can just install it, then adjust the anticipator a bit either way if the cycling is either too often, or not often enough.
Can either Jim or Jim provide a link to a digital thermostat that you have used in your FG rv's?

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
White Rodgers 1E78-140

This is a heat only one, with no programmed settings. What I wanted, sweet and simple (kinda like me ).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Can you just look at the old thermostat and adjust the new one to the same position. If your furnace cycles ok you should be fine. If cycles are too short or long you can adjust further as has already been suggested by Jim B.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Here is one I have installed in a couple of units, Coleman 8330A3241 Thermostat Trailer camper RV | eBay
Old 09-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #8

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Can you just look at the old thermostat and adjust the new one to the same position. If your furnace cycles ok you should be fine. If cycles are too short or long you can adjust further as has already been suggested by Jim B.
As I was changing the bed into a dinette, the cushion swept the old thermostat cover off and bent/broke some of the thingys inside. I have no confidence that what I'm looking at (a setting of about 1.2 Amps) is correct. Hence the question, What's the original setting supposed to be?

It's easy to see, you just have to pull the plastic cover off and read the fine print on the dial inside (or even give me a clock position of the pointer, such as 5:00 o'clock, or 7 o'clock).

But I hear you, it's not a big deal to adjust it after the cycle establishes itself.

Thanks

-c
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, scamp