Sewer hose storage in bumper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Sewer hose storage in bumper

I have searched the posting but been unable to find anything thus this request for info

I am thinking about a mod to my Scamp 16-ft FB/SD. I would like to store my sewer hose in a rear bumper. Any comment of how to complete this project would be helpful.

I am interested in attaching hoes storage to the existing bumper. What is the best storage tube to use and best way to attach.

Thanks for your help
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattopuin64 View Post
I am interested in attaching hoes storage to the existing bumper. What is the best storage tube to use and best way to attach.

Thanks for your help
Don't think your wife will approve but if you insist. (LOL I love typos).

What I did is not really what you are asking about, nor the cheapest way to do it. I'll just post a picture as another option to consider. It does take some care to do it this way.
Attached Thumbnails
P1090355.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
I did something similar to what Gordon shows, but mine is the rear bumper of my Fiber Stream. I used the weeping tile version of the white pvc pipe and oriented the drain holes down.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Sewer hose storage in bumper

I assume that:
- the tube is the standard 6-ft or so hose storage tube I can get at any RV store
- the tube (Storage Pipe) is screwed to the floor using stainlees steel bands.
- if I use a pipe with holes what kind of ends are used.

Last question for now. What effect does road junk have on the tube ware?

Thanks for the pic and other comments
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I have used a couple setups. Part of it will depend on the specific sewer hose you want to use. My original sewer hose fit into my actual rear bumper. Slid right into the bumper itself.

I have also made a holder to sit on top of the bumper. I used the biggest circumference white sewer pipe I could find, along with two end caps. One was an actual cap, the other was a threaded sleeve with a cap that screwed in. You just buy the tube and caps, then some blue sealant stuff to attach them, and cut to size. This can be attached to the bumper or camper in a lot of different ways. I used metal hose clamps for this.

But if you want to use a Rhinoflex sewer hose, neither of the above options will work. It's too big around. I had find something bigger and specifically made for this application (which means more expensive). For it, I attached it to the top of my rear bumper using the largest, thickest zip ties I could find. So far it's worked great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0330.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	103540

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	103541
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattopuin64 View Post
I have searched the posting but been unable to find anything thus this request for info

I am thinking about a mod to my Scamp 16-ft FB/SD. I would like to store my sewer hose in a rear bumper. Any comment of how to complete this project would be helpful.

Thanks for your help
I went to the scrap yard and bought thin gauge 4" square tubing. I took along stock square plugs to assure the right tubing. I then welded it to the original bumper and added a rubber runner on top and a unistrut bumper guard with a foot from a weight bench....the finished bumper has worked great and weighs only 11 pounds
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0012.JPG   scamp pictures 015.jpg  

DSCF0015.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #7

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
4" white plastic post sleeve from Lowes Depot works fine to store kinky-stinky. Get rubber end cups for 4" bumper in walmart (in rv sruff section). Total cost is less than $20.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #8

Name: Larry
Trailer: Toyota Dolphin
Montana
Mine is the same as Floyd's

While I have a Dolphin, the bumper is 4" channel with a flap door on one end that can be locked or pinned shut.While the PVC is lighter, the channel offers some "crash" protection, sometime useful when backing up.
lnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
4" white plastic post sleeve from Lowes Depot works fine to store kinky-stinky. Get rubber end cups for 4" bumper in walmart (in rv sruff section). Total cost is less than $20.
Lowe's also carries 5" square PVC post sleeves that will allow you to carry not just the larger Rhino slinkies, but most end connectors, including the angled ones. I've added those to each of my 4 different trailers.
Most of us learn that the square bumpers rust up inside and slowly shred the plastic hoses.
BTW, I discovered that Lowe's also carries stainless steel cable ties. Love 'em.

Walt
Old 03-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #10

Montana
That's good to know!

The largest white tubing I could find at Home Depot was not large enough for a Rhinoflex.

And that's exactly what happened to the hose that came with my camper. Rusty metal bumper interior, hose cut full of holes.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Lowe's also carries 5" square PVC post sleeves that will allow you to carry not just the larger Rhino slinkies, but most end connectors, including the angled ones. I've added those to each of my 4 different trailers.
Most of us learn that the square bumpers rust up inside and slowly shred the plastic hoses.
BTW, I discovered that Lowe's also carries stainless steel cable ties. Love 'em.

Walt
I haven't learned that part about slowly shredding the hoses, by slowly I assume you mean more than 12 years and 60000miles.
I haven't experienced any significant wear yet.
Here is an interesting item if plastic is important....

http://www.etrailer.com/RV-Plumbing/...FQe2wAod3mAB5g
Old 03-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I don't see how it adjusts, telescopes ? or is one end not glued on so you cut the tube to desired length ?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #13

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Lowe's also carries 5" square PVC post sleeves that will allow you to carry not just the larger Rhino slinkies, but most end connectors, including the angled ones.
Which end cups do you use with 5" sleeve?
Old 03-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #14

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I don't see how it adjusts, telescopes ? or is one end not glued on so you cut the tube to desired length ?
The ends are purchased separately, so no problem there. Just cut to the length needed and use any of several ways to attach the caps discussed on the forum.

Walt
Old 03-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #15

Montana
I think they're referring to the link Floyd posted. If it's anything like mine, and it looks like it is, then yes, it telescopes.

If Walt is talking about the same white pvc tubing I used, just a larger size, then you just buy the larger size end caps. They'll say 4", 5" etc.

If you make your own steel bumper, it may take a long time to rust. But like Walt says, a lot of us have noticed that the interior of our bumper is rusty. Flaking, rough rust. You slide a sewer hose in and out of that, and let it get bounced and shuffled around while driving, and it does wear through the hose in places. Some people just put a little plastic or metal insert in there to take care of it.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #16

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Which end cups do you use with 5" sleeve?
As I said, the End caps are sold separately and you can make sure you have the right ones by just fitting them at the store. There are several different sizes made: at least 4", 5", and 5 1/2". Whatever sizes your store carries, they'll have the corresponding caps.

Walt
Old 03-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #17

Registry
I changed the link to E-trailer, their pictures answer the questions...
There is even a VIDEO and a 3D spin!
The end caps come with it.

Valterra Adjustable RV Hose Carrier - 50" to 94" - Black Valterra RV Plumbing A04-5094BK
Old 03-07-2017, 04:21 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I think they're referring to the link Floyd posted. If it's anything like mine, and it looks like it is, then yes, it telescopes.

If Walt is talking about the same white pvc tubing I used, just a larger size, then you just buy the larger size end caps. They'll say 4", 5" etc.

If you make your own steel bumper, it may take a long time to rust. But like Walt says, a lot of us have noticed that the interior of our bumper is rusty. Flaking, rough rust. You slide a sewer hose in and out of that, and let it get bounced and shuffled around while driving, and it does wear through the hose in places. Some people just put a little plastic or metal insert in there to take care of it.
So clean it once in a while, just run a rag through it with a little light oil or kerosene on it, wait 5 minutes and run a clean rag through it.I haven't even done that and mine only has surface rust(no flakes no roughness) after 12 years.
Actually, come to think of it, it couldn't hurt to clean the plastic one once in a while either!
Hey how about aluminum? A little more work, but it can be polished to a chrome like finish.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I took a piece of plastic gutter and cut it to fit the bottom of my rear bumper. My sewer hose rides in / on the plastic gutter . The rust inside the rear bumper would rub on the sewer hose and cause pin hole leaks.
I clean and paint the inside of the rear bumper yearly but that didn't solve the problem with rust or wearing holes in the hose .
Maybe this year I will try Floyd's method and swab the area with a oil soaked rag .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:18 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I took a piece of plastic gutter and cut it to fit the bottom of my rear bumper. My sewer hose rides in / on the plastic gutter . The rust inside the rear bumper would rub on the sewer hose and cause pin hole leaks.
I clean and paint the inside of the rear bumper yearly but that didn't solve the problem with rust or wearing holes in the hose .
Maybe this year I will try Floyd's method and swab the area with a oil soaked rag .
I have found that the quality of the hose matters too, the one that came with my trailer became a sprinkler after only a few weeks in the plastic holder. I think it might have been a slinky toy wrapped in a single layer of WalMart bags!
There are some good ones out there though , I like Valterra red...