Shademaker 8 foot Awning Install 13 Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 77 Scamp
I'm in the process of doing this right now thanks to you awsome write up. I was wondering the arms that go back towards the scamp ner the awning rail obviously cut inwards by a few inches. Does this affect the awning in rain and or wind?
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #22

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I left my railing ends long with no support under them. Here are pics. I have traveled 10 thousand miles, thru Canada and Alaska. the awning flipped above the rail a couple of times going down the very rough roads in some areas. The bag has worn some rub spots into the gel coat. I do not take it down while traveling. I felt that there would be more support for the bag ends with the longer railing. I used #12 pan head screws. No machine screws. the holes drilled are 1/64" under the size of the shank of the screws. the screws are spaced every 7-8 inches. I just checked the screws for tightness and they are just like when first installed. I bought the center spring loaded rail, it really helps stabilize the the fabric, ( even though they suggest to use it on awning of 11' or longer) helps with rain not pooling in the center. it rolls up, with the awning at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
0611121803.jpg   0611121804.jpg  

0611121804a.jpg   0611121805.jpg  

Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Greg A,
Thank you for the write-up. I installed my awning last weekend and your directions made my installation very easy. Thank You for blazing the trail before me. I really appreciate all the help this site has given me.
Steve
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #24

Name: Joel
Trailer: Cloud
Florida
Registry
Thanks Greg for all your info. I'm installing my rail tomorrow and my Shademaker should be here Monday.

Great work!
cannibal53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #25

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16 Layout 4
New York
I'm liking this idea for an awning as opposed to the crank-out awnings. Has anyone done a Scamp 16? What size did you use and how long a piece of rail did you use? Any info would be appreciated, as I'm contemplating doing this in the next few weeks.

Thanks,
Ken
kenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #26

Florida
Registry
Rick G.... is 3M VHB tape available at stores? Does it have a special name? I asked at Home Depot and Advance Auto and they looked at me like I was speaking Klingon.

Joel
Old 08-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #27

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
3M VHB tape used in skyscrapers......

carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #28

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
I used VHB tape for my solar panel (roof mounted), ordered from amazon with 2 day shipping.

Thank you for the video! (MS, chemistry)
DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #29

Florida
Registry
Got my Shademaker installed 3days ago and I'm very happy with the style and construction. My only suggestion would be for Shademaker to put a couple velcro straps to hold awning in bag, so you could use both hands to close zippers. It's a bit of a balancing act for one person.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:15 PM   #30

Name: JD
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Nebraska
For Those with Screen Room Walls

Here's a variation on the theme. We got the screen room sidewalls so we needed the support bars (hozizontal ones) to align with the edge of the awning. Cutting it short will not work for the screen rooms.

I attached a 1x2 oak ledger in three places to the shell with 1/4 inch stainless bolts and acorn nuts. I put rubber washers between the board and the shell to seal up the holes. The ledger is a full 8 feet long I then attached the 2 four foot awning rail to that. I liked this approach also because there are fewer holes in the fiberglass shell. The ledger made of oak is super strong and allows for very little flex. I also ripped a 45 degree angle on the bottom of the ledger so the ball and socket connectors could mount vertically.

Very please with the outcome. I recommend this solution for those using the screen room sidewalls.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...GwzM0d5RFhKMEk
JD Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:19 PM   #31

Name: Sylvie
Trailer: Trillium
St-hippolyte
Tape holding up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
A good set of pictures and explanation, for sure. When we did our awning this year, I installed the black plastic ball socket receptacles shown in picture #4 using 3M - VHB tape instead of putting more holes in the trailer wall. It has held up very well and seems quite secure when we use the awning, plus was really easy to do.

Rick G
Hello Rick, I was reading the posts on awnings and, not wanting to drill holes n the camper either, I was wondering how your 3m tape held up over the years.Thanks!
SylvieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannibal53 View Post
Got my Shademaker installed 3days ago and I'm very happy with the style and construction. My only suggestion would be for Shademaker to put a couple velcro straps to hold awning in bag, so you could use both hands to close zippers. It's a bit of a balancing act for one person.
You should have 2 pairs of fabtic ribbon attached inside the bag to tie the awning inside the bag to hold up the awning inside the bag.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #33

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
My pulls on the zipper have broken made out of pot metal. the bag was falling apart. I can't remember the name of the plastic tube that slides into the slot, to hold the bag to the trailer, it is disintegrating, the bag has worn a pattern into the gelcoat. the velcro holds are peeling off the frame. I took the bag and canopy to a boat cover manufacturer, they made a new bag out of naugahyde very smooth, the zipper and pulls are huge, used a very tuff glide to slide into the track. the canopy is getting rust marks on the fabric in the front corners. I should have made sure it was totally dry before putting it away. pop rivets are steel and rust. I am working on protecting the surfaces with rust remover. I like the way the frame holds the canopy up, I think it is engineered well A few tiny holes in the fabric. It stands up in the wind with tie downs. We enjoy having the canopy up. I just wish it had come in a better bag. I think the new bag I had made will last forever.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp