Shademaker 8 foot Awning Install 13 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Most of the bag awning installs seem to be on the more squared off Trilliums, etc. I encountered a few issues trying to install the 8 foot Shademaker Supreme awning on my 13 Scamp with the egg contours of the front and aft sections.

Following is how I installed it.
We've now been through several good outings and the awning is awesome. I hope this will help anyone wanting to install a bag awning on a 13 Scamp or similar.

I purchased 9 feet of continuous awning rail from a local RV shop since I didn't like the two four foot sections that they sell for the awning. After pondering and dry-fitting for a few days I cut the rail to 6' 11" which will give you about 6.5" of overhang of the bag on each end. This is unavoidable with the curvature of the Scamp, but turned out not to be an issue.

The location of the rail is approximately 10.5" from the base of the ridgeline on the roof to the awning rail and 6" above the drip cap over the door to the awning rail. This may vary depending on your year of 13 Scamp but should get you pretty close. Make sure the Trailer is completely level and level the awning rail prior to marking guide holes.

To attach the rail to the Scamp I used Butyl Tape under the entire length of the awning rail, and used 9-1.25" 10-24 SS Machine Screws backed with SS fender washers and nuts in three locations.(Both the front and rear of the rail and center of the rail) These locations where I used bolts come through in the front and rear overhead storage bins and the closet by the door so the nuts and fender washers are not visible inside the trailer. These are for added strength for stresses of awning use. The remainder of the awning holes I riveted.

Cost of the project:
Awning Shademaker Supreme 8ft $250 free ship.
Awning rail $20
Butyl tape, SS Machine Screws, Nuts, Fender Washers and rivets: approx $20
Using Awning while camping: Priceless

Following are the photos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	awning_rail_full_view.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	19003

Name:	awning_rail_center.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	19005
[attachment=22907:awning_b...attached.j
pg]

Name:	awning_completed.jpg
Views:	923
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	19007
Attached Thumbnails
awning_end_rail.jpg   awning_bag_attached.jpg  

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Greg,

Wow, thank you! I'd like to add some sort of awning to my Boler for this summer, and this really helps me to visualize the rail installation. I didn't realize that bag awnings (could) contain all those legs and stretcher bars - that's impressive. One question: Does one customarily leave the bag on when traveling distances? Or take it off and put it inside? Do all the metal parts stow in the bag?

I'm probably going to sew a simple awning out of some Sunbrella I have on hand (at least that's what I was planning), but that's pretty neat Oh, could I ask how deep the awning is? (That is, how much fabric length there is perpendicular to the trailer?)

I don't mean to sound like a nitpicky nerd, but unless I'm looking at them wrong, I think those are machine screws you used and not bolts (might be helpful for people who are going to be shopping for them).

Thanks especially for the illustrated photographs.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:32 AM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
nice write up Greg
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #4

Raya,

The write-up from the Shademaker info probably answers the questions you asked.

RV Awnings Featuring:

* 10 oz tri-laminated vinyl stripe pattern fabric available in sizes
6' to 14'
* [b]Everything stores neatly in a weatherproof zippered 16 oz. travel case that slides into your awning rail.
* [b]Awning can be left on trailer during travel and storage. Legs and rafter supports are attached to the front rail, and just fold up into front rail when storing, no loose poles at all.
* Available in a wide range of colors: Blue, Teal, Burgundy, and Brown
* [b]84" projection when rolled out
* Optional spring-loaded center rafter is available the help maintain fabric tension in larger awnings, it is recommended on sizes 11' and larger.

I recommend getting the Supreme as it is quite a bit better then the standard

Quote:
The supreme bag awning is fully anodized aluminum and features square tubing legs with locking levers (cam locks) and square tube rafters with a patented fabric tensioning device not found in any other awning.
I went out and looked at the box of hardware and ur right they are labeled "machine screws." I always called all that stuff nuts and bolts growing up, which is probably better then the thingie that goes in the watchit.

Here's an action shot of the awning.

Name:	LoLoMai_Sedona.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	19008
Old 04-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #5

Hi Greg,

I probably should have gone to look at the Shademaker site before asking (bad me!), but on the other hand, I was interested in whether you or others traveled with the bag on the rail or off (I see they say you can travel with it on; but mfgr's recommendations and "real world" are not always the same, especially for our smaller, rounded eggs.)

Looks like the awning projects almost straight out, so the projection length from Shademaker is probably very close to the actual length of the fabric.

I also grew up thinking anything with a flat end was a bolt. Funny how that was so pervasive.

Raya
Old 04-04-2009, 06:02 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
That looks good in the pictures and I sure get tired of tugging something through the rail each time we camp. The awning rail on our Boler is only about 2" above the drip mould over the door so I would have to raise it several inches. Then fill the old holes and re-paint the trailer top half.

Bolts are usually hex head for a wrench and machine screws flat headded and tightened with a screwdriver. Also a bolt will stick up above it's surroundings, while a machine screw will lay flat to the surface.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #7

James,

I had the same situation with the original awning rail being right above the drip cap. So I had removed it and if you look closely at my center rail pic you'll see the fill spots from the old rail. The bag awning now covers that old repair so it is not visible. We got tired of loading the First Up in and out of the camper and we never take this one off the rail now, so I consider it a permanent mount.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #8

So I guess it's a "yes" that the overhanging ends of the awning bag don't flap in the wind when you're going 65 mph? (I realize you probably would have mentioned that, but it seems amazing that they wouldn't - amazing in a good way!).

Raya
Old 04-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
So I guess it's a "yes" that the overhanging ends of the awning bag don't flap in the wind when you're going 65 mph? (I realize you probably would have mentioned that, but it seems amazing that they wouldn't - amazing in a good way!).

Raya
They don't at all, materials too stiff and there is not enough outside the rail to make any difference.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
So if I raised the rail it would then be more or less on top of the curved side section. That would help it clear the door whenever you open it without needing a centre ridge support.

BTW I checked out your 4sale Forum. Very nice and easy to navigate.
Well done!
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #11

Thanks, Jim.

Where I've got it located on the Scamp there are no issues with the door clearance. Not sure if that would translate straight across to the Boler, or if my mearsurements would put you where you need to be, but it should be pretty close I would think.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Most of the bag awning installs seem to be on the more squared off Trilliums, etc. I encountered a few issues trying to install the 8 foot Shademaker Supreme awning on my 13 Scamp with the egg contours of the front and aft sections.

Following is how I installed it.

Thanks for all of your work on this post. Because of you, I bought a shademaker 8' and installed it and now our friend is doing the same. Cheers
Lisa A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #13

Thanks Lisa, I'm certain you and your friend will enjoy the awnings.
I'm happy to report that a year after installing the awning, we've used it on countless trips and have had zero problems or issues with it. Had it out the whole time at the recent Quartzsite gathering and it still looks and functions like new. Great option for smaller "eggs."
Old 10-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #14

Name: Lauren
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
Washington
8' Shademaker on 6'11" Scamp rail?

Thanks for this excellent post.

We want to add an awning to our 1977 13' Scamp, and because of your post we're focused on the Shademaker Supreme.

I emailed Interwest Sports to ask if anyone has had any issues, and they suggested I purchase the 6' Shademaker Classic instead, because of the rail length.

Yet you have an 8' and it sounds like the overhang is no problem--correct? I'd hate to have to try to ship the awning back to Utah to exchange it, so I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks,
Lauren
dannerscampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannerscampers View Post
Thanks for this excellent post.

We want to add an awning to our 1977 13' Scamp, and because of your post we're focused on the Shademaker Supreme.

I emailed Interwest Sports to ask if anyone has had any issues, and they suggested I purchase the 6' Shademaker Classic instead, because of the rail length.

Yet you have an 8' and it sounds like the overhang is no problem--correct? I'd hate to have to try to ship the awning back to Utah to exchange it, so I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks,
Lauren
A good set of pictures and explanation, for sure. When we did our awning this year, I installed the black plastic ball socket receptacles shown in picture #4 using 3M - VHB tape instead of putting more holes in the trailer wall. It has held up very well and seems quite secure when we use the awning, plus was really easy to do.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #16

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
A good set of pictures and explanation, for sure. When we did our awning this year, I installed the black plastic ball socket receptacles shown in picture #4 using 3M - VHB tape instead of putting more holes in the trailer wall. It has held up very well and seems quite secure when we use the awning, plus was really easy to do.

Rick G
That's a great idea--thanks! I am reluctant to drill into the egg walls--I've already had to fix one leak on a side rivet. Yuck.

Lauren
Old 10-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #17

Name: Brad
Trailer: 1980 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Great job!! Thanks for taking the time to let us see it.
Brad M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp (fits in my Garage...Yeah)
where did you get the black plastic ball socket receptacles did they come with the awning ordered a black bag and vulcan grey awning
jimtesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #19

Name: kathy
Trailer: 1972 Boler 13
New York
Registry
ball socket receptacles?

I hope someone can help me and Jimtesla in the previous reply. I knew something was missing on my bag awning setup...
adkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #20

Washington
The ball socket receivers come with the awning--if you still have the box, maybe root through it and see if they turn up. As I recall, it was a small bag that also contained a patch and the instructions. Good luck!

Tags
scamp