Shakedown Cruise - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
I might add, girlfriend bought $300 of groceries prior to departing, and enough clothes for 6 changes a day. The back of my truck was also loaded down with things we never used ie: barbecue, heavy plastic picnic table etc. Will travel much lighter next time and take my Bassett Hound instead !! Just realized that you are pulling a 16ft. trailer and I am struggling sometimes with 13ft. maybe you are expecting too much?
Thanks for the reply ... we travel with our little dog too ... all 6lbs of her ... The topper on our truck serves as gear storage too. It's all a matter of convenience ... for her ... I get to lug all the stuff. Did I mention that we traveled with empty tanks? I'm sure we'll be slower yet with full tanks and hilly terrain ...

Yours is the second comment on my expectations so I guess I need to cut back a little ... hey , what it pulls is what it pulls, I'm not buying a new truck until this one dies ... we'll just try a lower gear.

I drove my old 1996 GMC Sonoma 4 cyl std to the top of Mt Washington once ... first gear and my wife in tears because she's afraid of heights on narrow dirt roads with 200 ft drop offs ... just wait until we visit Rocky Mountain NP with the Scamp! you won't want to be behind me even if I fix the sewer leak.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:27 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
If all your fittings leak a bit of water when hooked up to the city supply perhaps the pressure is too high. Have you put a pressure regulator between the city supply and the trailer?
I replaced the water supply fitting in the outside wall of the trailer with what I think is a regulator ... appeared to be identical to the factory fitting ... do they come in different pressures?

Old 09-13-2006, 06:01 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
About that nice tongue box...
Quote:
I got it on EBay ... about $80 plus shipping ...
I thought with a ID like "Capt Ron", this would a bow storage box from one of your boats...

Quote:
...I still need to invent a crank handle for the tongue jack that extends above the box ...
...or, despite having already gone to the effort to modify this jack, replace it with a side-winding model. The side- (or front-) winders also tend to require less force (but more turns), because the bevel gears required are used to do some gear reduction; I don't know if that's wanted in this case, but I'm glad I have the front-winder on my Boler.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:18 PM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
I replaced the water supply fitting in the outside wall of the trailer with what I think is a regulator ... appeared to be identical to the factory fitting ... do they come in different pressures?
I thought that the device which is usually built into the inlet fitting is only a check valve (so that the trailer's own pump doesn't pump water from its tank to outside; e.g. Aqua Pro models at Coast), not a regulator, although you can buy them with both features (e.g. SHURflo City Water Entry at Coast). I have no idea how a 1983 Scamp 16' is equipped.

I use an in-line regulator with my Boler, although I never did buy a pressure gauge to see if I need it. It is not adjustable, and the store where I bought it stocked only one version (i.e. one pressure setting). Every regulator I've seen is fixed, and set to something between 40 and 50 PSI, but I certainly haven't seen them all. I think if a fitting leaks at 50 PSI, it just needs to be fixed, since that's a pretty common household water pressure.

A good idea from others in this forum is to use the regulator at the far end of the hose, where it is attached to the supply (rather than at the trailer end), so that the hose itself is also protected from excessive pressure.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote