Sheet of plywood as finished floor? DIY parquet? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If you read the instructions for Allure ( who would do that? ) you will find that it is not to be used where there are great fluctuations in temperature / humidity etc. It is not intended for use in RVs or summer cabins...
That's the first time I've heard that… I was only going by the many glowing reports from folks here. One rarely hears the follow-up assessment two or three years later, especially if it's negative. Of course, nothing will perform as well in an RV as in a climate-controlled, stationary structure, and the language in the instructions may simply be the manufacturer's way of avoiding liability. But I appreciate the heads-up.

I am curious about something now, though. Do manufacturers that install sheet vinyl as standard/optional flooring do a full glue-down installation?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKollmar View Post
...then covered it with a seamless fiberglass linoleum that has a wood plank pattern...
Would you mind sharing the trade name of the product you used? A quick search didn't turn up anything that obviously fit your description. I did find a company named Tarkett...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Where I got into trouble is at the far end of the room from where I started. Ended on a full sheet ( 1' x 3' each tile ) but had two inches by two inches inside the door frame to cover. Couldn't get it to line up in either direction.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Our solution

We noticed that the fiberglass under the carpet was getting scratched from the sand that made its way through the carpet. So we purchased a box of stick-on tiles from Home Depot and have been happy with the result. We placed the carpet back over the tiles and are using small, door mat types for stepping on when entering.
We also lucked into carpet square samples at a local carpet store which they were getting rid of and we were able to get three squares gratis. They fit perfectly under our table giving us warm carpeting instead of cold fiberglass to place our feet on while sitting.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #25

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I dropped an office chair mat (from staples/office depot) on the Scamp's carpet floor.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #26

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We've been e-mailing a rep at the Durabak company about their
rubberized paint--truck bed liner in a number of colors. They'll
send you a free sample--we finally asked for all their colors, and
they said OK. The chips are amazing--you can bend them nearly
in half wihtout damaging them, and it's very hard to scratch them--and
if you do, you can apparently touch up the scratch easily. He said
Durabak fumes off in two to four days inside, and would work fine
as a painted floor. You can choose rough or smooth, or mix the two...
We started out looking for something to paint the outside wheel wells
to repel rocks that have chipped the exterior to shreds. You can order
the paint samples on their website, for free...I'm practically in love
with their paint/bedliner products...though they are pricey. We're
thinking of doing the whole trailer outside and the floor inside with this
product, just trying to decide exactly how rough we want things to be.
We don't go around barefoot much; some texture would be helpful to
the pug dogs so they don't get all splayed out if the floor was too slipper.

No way with those dogs we'd do carpet...and I cannot see how we'd get
vinyl to go clear to the walls...it only covered the middle section under neath
the pergo floating floor that concealed a trailer full of rotted plywood--I'm
kinda phobic about pergo at this point, and never liked it much anyway. It
doesn't look like ral wood and it doesn't quite look like fake wood, either.

YMMV--we're thinking of budgeting about $500 for Durabak outside and inside floor over primer over our very expensive marine plywood that will go in after the windows are resealed...in the spring. It'll be so nice to get the plywood out of the living room!

If nothing else, the little samples are very fun and surprising. If they'd send me enough, I could...talk about parquet! Ahh, never mind. They won't be that
generous.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:39 AM   #27

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
I am very glad that we used sheet vinyl when we renoe'd our 1980 Jubilee. There's no joints to harbour dirt and no particle board backing to absorb moisture as in some engineered floors. It's very easily sweepable and washable.

I was a bit dubious about cutting the vinyl to fit but I just made a full template of the whole floor by fitting pieces of heavy card into the corners, nooks and crannies and any angled parts. Use as many pieces as you need to put the jigsaw puzzle together and tape them to each other as you go then you have the exact shape to cut the vinyl.

Use this template to also cut some 1/4 plywood underlayment, that comes in 4' x 4' sheets with all the little crosses on it for a nailing grid, you don't nail it down in the trailer though. After you have ripped out the carpet clean off any irregularities in the floor below and then glue the 1/4" underlayment down with construction adhesive ( PL ). This makes a perfect surface for the vinyl to adhere to. The vinyl adhesive is easy to use and instructions are easy to follow.

Home Depot have random short rolls of vinyl ( here in BC anyway ) that are 6' wide and 6' or 8' long and we found a perfect one that looked like a random plank floor. this makes it quite economical as you are not having to buy off of a roll that is much wider than you need making for a lot of wastage.
peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #28

Registry
Vinyl--yes, peatle makes a great case for how to use vinyl in the RV. If the area of your floor you're going to redo is flat enough (doesn't have to be completely flat) I agree that vinyl can be a good choice, and remnants can be a very good deal.

Making the point that in our Amerigo, the wheel wells were the "backing" under the cabinets, and I cannot figure out how to get vinyl to go over them properly no matter how carefully I work on a paper/cardboard pattern. Paul suggested we box in the wells (and other areas that are troublesome) like MrStu cic in his photos of his amerigo...that could be the answer--then vinyl might work fine.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:59 AM   #29

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I found a post on a forum for using brown paper bags over plywood. It was coated in water based polyurathane. Seems it may be an alternative. Polyurathane hardens to a very durable surface.
paper bag floors
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #30

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
When I redid the casita floor, I picked up some cork laminate flooring from Habitat for Humanity reuse store for $8 a case (bought 3 cases, used about 1 1/2 cases). Pretty cheap floor for $24. We have used it for a year including a trip to the yukon. It has held up very well and looks like new.
casita floor
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #31

Registry
The cork floor is gorgeous. Has some insulating properties, as well, both temp. and sound.