Shelf for fiberglass camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #1

Name: Vicky & Bob
Trailer: U-Haul
North Carolina
Shelf for fiberglass camper

Hi,
We are thinking about putting a shelf up in place of the top bunk in our fiberglass uhaul camper. Does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best way to install them.
Thanks
Vicky
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I put a shelf in the back of our boler, there are lots of pics etc ,starts about post 84.
There is also a small shelf done later maybe post 115 or so in the front.
The ideas there may give you a starting point for your project.
Fred

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-55601-6.html
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Vicky, years ago on an extended trip in the winter I had loads of stuff to keep inside my Boler 1300, I just used the top bunk, it self, as a shelf when I got to my camp. The weather was bad and it kept everything inside and ready to use.
If you have the bunk already there use it.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A few people on the Facebook group have done it, above the front or rear windows. Some advice here may not take into consideration the double hull of the Uhaul.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #5

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
This is what we did with ours. Used heavy duty command strips and small zip ties to hold things together. no holes drilled. has worked for 5 years and 10,000 miles,0-100F with only 1 failure of a command strip. Shelf from any big box store cut to length with a hacksaw. Should work on your VT too.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01414.jpg  
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Vicky, years ago on an extended trip in the winter I had loads of stuff to keep inside my Boler 1300, I just used the top bunk, it self, as a shelf when I got to my camp. The weather was bad and it kept everything inside and ready to use.
If you have the bunk already there use it.
We have done the same a couple of times when the kids decided to sleep in a tent or the back of the tow vehicle. We used the upper bunk to store clothing duffles, leaving the lower bunk for sleeping. As time went on, though, we realized we like to use the front sofa for daytime seating, so we moved the clothing duffles to the tow vehicle.

It wouldn't be very hard to turn the upper bunk into a permanent shelf. Remove the upholstery and foam, finish and trim the plywood base nicely if desired, modify the support posts so they can't come out when towing. I don't know about U-Haul, but on my Scamp the bunk base is just a little higher than the galley counter, so it could become additional work space as well as storage.

A lot depends on how you want to use the lower bunk, how big a shelf you need, and how you plan to use it. More information would be helpful.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
On my Scamp I put a wire shelf between two fiberglass cabinets. I hung the wire shelf with electrical wire clamps pop riveted to the fiberglass support. I put light weight soft stuff on the shelf so anything bouncing out during travel is no harm no foul.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Stainl...800833.h_66787
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
shelf

i put front and rear in the surfside storage is king in small spaces renovate these for fun .
Attached Thumbnails
20171213_122524.jpg   20171213_122535.jpg  

20171213_122617.jpg  
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #9

Name: Terry
Trailer: Scamp 13
Illinois
Scamp shelf

Olive; I made a shelf over the front sofa in my Scamp 13 using wire shelving from Home Depot, fender washers and 1/4 inch all-thread. I also made a shelf over the dinette in the rear, also out of wire shelving. The rear shelf was bolted to the under side of cabinets with 1 1/2 x 1/4-inch bolts and fender washers. I ran a strap from the Fantastic Fan frame to the center of the rear 55-inch shelf to better support it. I posted a couple of pictures on 6/14/17 in the Mods & Alterations forum. Here are a couple of pics of the front shelf mod. I don't have pictures of the shelf over the dinette, the Scamp is in storage but if you want a pic I can take one this weekend. Terry
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5157.JPG   IMG_5163.JPG  

Terry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
A few people on the Facebook group have done it, above the front or rear windows. Some advice here may not take into consideration the double hull of the Uhaul.
Myself not being familiar with the wall construction of a Uhaul wonder how one would attach anything to the wall?
Would butterfly anchors work? Or a Plastic shield type work?
Is the inner hull to thin to support any weight and the Butterfly anchor is to long to be able to go in ( answered my own Question).
The Plastic shield works with friction, again along its length so that wont work either so Pop riveting is the only answer I see but again, how thick is the inner hull?
Old 12-14-2017, 06:55 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Shelf for fiberglass camper

I assumed it had the front upper bunk, since the OP said "in place of", but I learned from another thread the upper bunk is missing (I think it was about the same trailer). So now I'm wondering if it has the original front wall support for the bunk. If so, that would be one place to attach a shelf.

If not... I'm waiting to hear how big a shelf and how much weight it might need to carry before making any more suggestions.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #12

New York
Uhaul uses plastic inserts to attach things to the inner and outer hulls. Stuff like the marker lights and curtain rods. The gap between the inner and outer shells is not uniform, real close or touching in some areas, enough to get your hand in between in other areas. Cabinets and seating is all part of the inner two piece hull which is fiberglassed to the outer hull
Old 12-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #13

I guess to be able to hang anything that would have any weight to it one would have to drill the required hole through inner or outer shell....Fill this hole with some fiberglass fillet..... Drill hole again though inner and outer shells and use a stainless round headed bolt from the outside as the starting point of the hanging system. The fillet will keep the 2 shells from deforming when a nut or rod coupling in used on inside to hand shelf off of.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Just how much weight are you considering? Command hooks come in various strengths (weight limits). VHB tape by 3M are also very strong, or you could fiberglass hooks or shelves or whatever you want to the inner shell. Supports from the floor could also hold the weight while VHB or fiberglassing could keep the unit upright.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:20 PM   #15

New York
If the plan is to put a shelf in place of the upper bunk, then that support is already there under the window. It would be easy to make end supports, or use the plastic inserts for end supports. If the plan is for a shelf over the window, then details for that are in the Uhaul Facebook group.