Shelves and drawers in Uhaul CT13 closet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
Shelves and drawers in Uhaul CT13 closet

I've been working on making free standing shelves for my closet. Inspired by some posts here I worked on using PVC plumbing pipes and fittings to make a support and then MDF boards cut to fit very tightly in the closet as well as drawers and a rack for dishes.
Here is a shot of the frame made of the PVC pipes - the idea is to make it so that it is wedged into the closet as tightly as possible. You need 4 elbow joints for the bottom and 4 T-joints for every shelf. I used the thinnest PVC pipe and it was sufficiently strong. I made it so that the shelves would fit above and below where the fire extinguisher holder butts into the shelving unit on the CT13.
I started cutting the PVC with a hacksaw and then my lovely husband informed me that we had this pipe cutter. Amazing tool - about 7$ at the hardware store - lets you easily cut the pipe right in the camper, and if you want to take a smidgen more off the pipe you can do it easily.

I made a template out of cardboard to get a sense of the shape the shelves would take. Then we used a jigsaw to cut the shape out of MDF boards (the thinnest ones). Once back in the camper I needed to shave some edges with a boxcutter to get the right shape (you want to really wedge it in so it doesn't move).

I needed to take the fire extinguisher out to fit the shelves in. To get the top shelf in I needed to take one side of PVC support right out, get the shelf in, push it up high, then put in the support again and press the shelf down onto it.

I found the shelves sagged a little with the thin MDF so I doubled up the thickness and glued the two boards together. I think if I did it again I would still start with the thin MDF as it really allowed me to carve them right to fit with the boxcutter quite easily.
I also needed the extra thickness as I decided to add drawers from camping world under each shelf – they actually fit perfectly in the space.

The last addition was a dishrack – also from camping world. I had to add this once the top shelf was already in place. I drilled holes through the shelf and held the rack in place with plastic zip ties through the shelf.

Bridget
Attached Thumbnails
uhaul closet - 05.jpg   uhaul closet - 09.jpg  

uhaul closet - 10.jpg   uhaul closet - 14.jpg  

uhaul closet - 15.jpg   uhaul closet - 19.jpg  

uhaul closet - 25.jpg   uhaul closet - 27.jpg  

Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Very Cool- I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the closet in my ct- did you keep the heater?

Lynne
Lynne VDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
We did keep the heater but have yet to get it working. Not a huge priority at the moment - very hot summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne VDK View Post
Very Cool- I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the closet in my ct- did you keep the heater?

Lynne
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT
Looks good, Bridget. I've been thinking about what/how to do with the closet. You've given me some ideas.

Also, an FYI about PVC. They make other pvc "joints" (like a 3 corner, etc -- search for furniture pvc fittings I don't remember if they go to 1/4" or if you'd have to use 1/2" for them). You can also use a heat gun and bend the pvc pipe to curvy shapes.
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
The PO of our Burro when we had it had put a shoe hanger in the closet that acted as shelves.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul, uhaul