Shock Absorber Retrofit - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #21

Name: steve
Trailer: scamp
Minnesota
Do you know if you can use air shocks with this kit?
steve887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I notice that Brian's suspension is leaf spring and I think your Scamp has a torsion axle, Steve...you might start by asking if the kit can even be used on such an axle!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've personal seen three trailers with torsion axles and shock absorbers. Larry Page's Scamp 5er, Gene Layton's 17' Casita and Merle Lilly's Scamp 5er with dual axles. See the picture of Merle's in the third page of this PDF: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...mAxleSetup.pdf

I don't know air shocks wouldn't work, by why would you?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #24
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
RE: Shock on torsion axle....

Some European trailers use shock absorbers with a torsion axle, but they are designed for that. Our NA torsion axles don't seem to have a mount point for a shock absorber on the suspension arm.

But...it has been done before.

See this link on FGF on the subject:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-37396.html

And this link to photos posted by someone who found a way to do it:
Scamp - Mod - S19 shock absorbers - a set on Flickr
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #25

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Yes, the Monroe kit which I used was specifically for a leaf spring suspension. There was one specifically for a Torflex-style suspension (shown in the second article linked by GPJ) but it was discontinued, leaving only custom solutions.

Airstream adds shocks to their rubber torsion axles, which are currently Dexter Torflex; they have been doing this for decades.

In my case, the top mount hardware holds the shock a specific distance out from the frame, which must be enough to clear the air-assisted shock, which is typically quite large in diameter. The shocks I used are quite large, too, so an air shock might fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't know air shocks wouldn't work, by why would you?
I don't presume to know the reason for the question, but a couple of possibilities are likely:

Air springing provides adjustability. This allows the suspension to be matched to the load in the vehicle, just as with the rear of a tug that gets air springs pumped up when the trailer tongue load is added; this is rarely of much value in RV trailers (or motorhomes), which are nearly fully loaded all of the time. It also allows ride height to be varied, which can provide the ability to cruise on the highway in a low and stable mode, but creep through rough campsite roads and steep driveway entrances with more clearance. It could even be used to level the trailer side-to-side without levelling blocks (air-suspended motorhomes sometimes do that). At the time of my shock installation, I considered air shocks for these reasons, but have still not done it.

Another reason that many people consider air shocks is to boost a sagging suspension. I would not do this, although another member posted about doing this with coil-over (not air, but the same general idea) shocks.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote