Shore Cable Connector - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
Shore Cable Connector

I read in a post on one of the forums that someone had a connector on their trailer cable hook up that eliminated having to feed all that cable back inside the trailer each time they moved site.

I intended questioning the person about the configuration of this connection but now can't find the same post again.

Has anyone done this modification or have it on their unit ? Is it just regular 3 pin extension cord ends maybe or is their actually some kind of receptacle on the trailer wall.

I am renoeing my Trillium Jubilee and really like the idea of saving all the space that that cable needs at the back of the kitchen cabinets.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Peter
peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Peter,

There are a number of exterior plugs available to allow you to plug an extension cord into a socket on your trailer.

Take a look at these links to prior discussions:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...ior+plug&sa=Go
Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We rarely pull our cable out more than a foot. We simply plug another cable into it.

We only pull it out to reach inconvenient power posts that require two cable lengths.

Our approach does not gain you space.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I was at Camping World 2 weeks ago and they were closing out complete kits for $71. Personally I like shopping around so I went on ebay and purchased the "male" end that is built into the trailer for $35 and then bought the "female" end that goes on the cable for $10.
I wish I could give you info on how I like it but I haven't installed it yet.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Its the 30 Amp Conversion Kit you are after - which allows you to disconnect your main power cord at the trailer. One of our commercial members Chuck sells them. Kit is found at Fiberglasstraveltrailersrv.com
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #6

Registry
Not to cost anyone any business but that is the same exact kit that was being closed out at Camping World. I'm sure they are probably sold out by now as $71 was a good price. My set up is essentially the same except the piece installed on the trailer is square instead of round.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:25 AM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
Thanks everyone for the informative replies.

I think for the upcoming season I am just going to cut the existing cord so that there is enough to pull out of the trailer a little way.Put a male connector on the end of this portion which will connect to a female on the cord to the shore power. I can then poke the connected ends back just inside the trailer until I need to move.

This is simple and I'll see if there are any drawbacks when it gets put to the test ......... thanks again for all of the input.
peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by peatle View Post
Thanks everyone for the informative replies.

I think for the upcoming season I am just going to cut the existing cord so that there is enough to pull out of the trailer a little way.Put a male connector on the end of this portion which will connect to a female on the cord to the shore power. I can then poke the connected ends back just inside the trailer until I need to move.

This is simple and I'll see if there are any drawbacks when it gets put to the test ......... thanks again for all of the input.
I wouldn't cut the cord they are very expensive. Just use it as it is, it's not that big of a deal and it was designed that way. Adding a shore power connector is more of a luxury and not at all "NEEDED" for the use of your trailer.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Steve is right. Fat to expensive to be cut.
The best thing about installing the receptacle that Steve put a picture of is that it plugs the hole that ants and critter use to walk in on the cable. It also makes connecting the AC really easy.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Looks like this discussion is currently taking place on two different threads. Shore Power Connection Replacement.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #11

Registry
Double the fun!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We use a Short 12 Gauge AC cable from the campground receptacle to the adapter that plugs in to the camper and it has always worked well except for on thing, the Air Conditioner and Microwave can not be used at the same time. We seldom use the microwave and just turn off the AC when we do. So for us, the 15 Amp camp ground connection is enough.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote