Shore-power connector replaces pull-out cord - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
I think the plug end of this is male, so the receptical would need to be female. In the kit that I used, the receptical is male.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #22

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Peter, that's brilliant
I'm glad you posted your solution to stuffing the cord through the hole.

That situation had previously caught my attention but I hadn't done anything about it. With the hot water tank and the converter and wiring already in the space it seems questionable if stuffing the heavy cable into the space and pulling it out hoping that it hasn't fouled around some wiring is the thing to do. Mine did catch once when withdrawing it and I did pull a wire loose. So your post is timely and I'll go with the locking marine type of exterior plug.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #23

Name: Sherman
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Pennsylvania
I removed the pull out cord (and replaced with a fixed male plug) on our Trillium when I screened all the air vents for bugs. That hole where the cord pulls out just seemed like a really easy place for critters to infiltrate the camper.
spotcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #24

Massachusetts
Peter's solution is great, but Marinco makes this kit which does the same thing and replaces the whole Scamp access door for the same or less money ($87 from Adventure RV). It includes an adapter plate that I pop-riveted to the three holes to which the Scamp access door was attached.

Product Features:
The 30 Amp ParkPower™ Detachable Power Conversion Kit is a great way to upgrade your existing hard-wired RV power cord to a convenient detachable power cord system. It includes all hardware required to complete most installations.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #25

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
I installed the Marinco kit on my 2012 Scamp shortly after purchase. The existing cord was a pain. The Marinco setup works great. The twist grip ring ensures that the cord will not fall out and the yellow boot provides water resistance. I am very happy with the set-up and no entrance for tiny creatures.

Dan
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #26

Name: Lethbridge
Trailer: 13' Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Dumbleton View Post
Here's one done by Nevin Lescher on his Scamp 13' (before he sold it); he didn't use the commercial twist-lock (if someone trips over it, it will just disconnect rather than risk breaking something) and he also made a convenient outside GFCI-protected outlet.
Anyone know where I can get one like this?
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #27

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
That was a timely post. I hated stuffing a huge shorepower cable into a small space containing a hot water tank, converter and electrical panel. What a poor design!

I went the DIY route by using a male end on the trailer side. I used two plywood rings. One is exterior and one interior. Screws between them clamp them together and hold them to the plastic housing. Perimeter screws keep the plug from rotating when using the twist-lock plug.

I didn't cut the cable because I had some 10/3 cable and wanted to keep the original cable as long as possible. It measures 25' so I must have saved about 3' or so by not cutting it.

Glad not to have to try and extract the cable without ripping out other wiring and closing off a possible vermin entrance.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
17-09-2012 9-17-45 PM  001_resize.JPG   17-09-2012 9-17-46 PM  005_resize.JPG  

17-09-2012 9-17-46 PM  004_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
Anyone know where I can get one like this?
It looks to me that he used just a standard RV Electrical Hatch mounted with the hinge on the top and did some custom work behind it in regards to mounting the outlets.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #29

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
I see a few posts relative to this subject that have a male plug attached to the trailer wall and am just curious as to why it's not a female plug.
peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by peatle View Post
I see a few posts relative to this subject that have a male plug attached to the trailer wall and am just curious as to why it's not a female plug.
Because an extension cord has one male end and one female end. If it had two male ends, you could plug it in and be exposed to the live electrical prongs on the other end.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #31

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I pulled the benches out of my Scamp yesterday and the area where the cable goes is now exposed. I must say it is a terrible waste of space. The cable goes everywhere and has the option to become twisted, not to mention a big rodent nest. Thankfully everything is dead but it was pretty ugly in there.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #32

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
This is on my to do list as well! 2012 trailer but I already cracked part of the lip on the inside of mine by bein below freezing temp trying to pull the power cord out(dam plastic lol). So need to measure the hole and find a suitable replacement. Its not a bad afternoon project!

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #33

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
Well that makes a lot of sense ....... learn something every day eh? thanks Tom
peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #34

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Great mod. If I did it again, I would buy just the outlet part, get a pre-made cord with a 90* end on the camper side, and turn my old one into an extension cord.

In fact, that's what I'm going to do. I don't like how far the straight connector sticks out of the side of the camper.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #35

Massachusetts
Plug sticking out hasn't been a problem

I installed the Marinco conversion shown earlier in this thread about a year ago and have had no problem with the plug sticking out. The female plug twists to lock onto the male and the outer ring locks it further. The water connection sticks out as well and is only a short distance away.

David
Old 02-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Great mod. If I did it again, I would buy just the outlet part, get a pre-made cord with a 90* end on the camper side, and turn my old one into an extension cord.

In fact, that's what I'm going to do. I don't like how far the straight connector sticks out of the side of the camper.

I thought about that but couldn't find a 90 degree connector that locked. I was tempted to just put a standard 30 amp male plug in the old hole (I saw that mod on this board) and then buy a regular 90 degree push on style. Can be done very cheap.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #37

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Here's a locking 90 degree connector:
Amazon.com: Marinco 30A Right Angle Cordset Adapter: Sports & Outdoors

I've seen it as low as $38.

FWIW, I personally like having the cord onboard the trailer, never had a tangle, don’t see the storage area as a potential storage area for anything other than the cord. Another example of to each his/her own.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #38

Registry
I forgot about those little extenders.

"FWIW, I personally like having the cord onboard the trailer, never had a tangle, don’t see the storage area as a potential storage area for anything other than the cord. Another example of to each his/her own."

I see your point, I truthfully haven't had any major problems either. I am totally redoing my whole electrical system and rebuilding all my lower cabinets so this was a simple solution to several difficulties I'm working out (entry point, storage, etc). Plus I purchased a nice new sewer hose that won't fit in the old storage area causing me to purchase and install a larger one, I'll use the old one to store my cable.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #39

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The issues with the power and water sticking out may only be a problem with certain makes and years of trailers. I dont know about Scamp 5th wheels but I know that it wasnt until after 92 that Scamp moved the connections to the drivers side of the 16' trailer where most campgrounds have their power and water connections located. Mine are on the passenger side where most outdoor activity around the trailer takes place so they do tend to get bumped or tripped over, so right angle connections for both power and water help but dont totally resolve the problem.

I would be afraid if I was to use the disconnect system that I would accidently leave behind a real important piece of equipment. I figure you need to store the cord someplace so it may as well be with the trailer so its not possible to forget it. I pulled the rear bench out a few months back and was actually pretty happy with how clean the area was but I do use a towel to wipe the cord off as I push it back into the trailer. I also replaced the original cover as the one on it when I got it wasnt going to stop much of anything from getting into the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #40

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
I installed the Marinco conversion shown earlier in this thread about a year ago and have had no problem with the plug sticking out. The female plug twists to lock onto the male and the outer ring locks it further. The water connection sticks out as well and is only a short distance away.

David
I have a 90* connection for the water, also. It's right by the door, and right under the awning. I don't want to chance it getting hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I thought about that but couldn't find a 90 degree connector that locked. I was tempted to just put a standard 30 amp male plug in the old hole (I saw that mod on this board) and then buy a regular 90 degree push on style. Can be done very cheap.
This is the cord I'm getting. http://store.rvdirect.com/rvdirect/d...l&ITEM=3600300

I'll turn the original cord into an extension cord, although it will probably never be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Here's a locking 90 degree connector:
Amazon.com: Marinco 30A Right Angle Cordset Adapter: Sports & Outdoors

I've seen it as low as $38.

FWIW, I personally like having the cord onboard the trailer, never had a tangle, don’t see the storage area as a potential storage area for anything other than the cord. Another example of to each his/her own.
My reason was that I didn't like the open hole in the camper, the cord kept getting caught on the water tank, and I'm also going up to a 20 gallon water tank, so there wouldn't be much room for it.

I don't see the worry about leaving it behind. I follow a simple rule with anything like that. As soon as you disconnect it, PUT IT AWAY! There should be no reason for it to get disconnected, then thrown on the ground or something and left behind.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote