Shore-power connector replaces pull-out cord - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Here's a locking 90 degree connector:
Amazon.com: Marinco 30A Right Angle Cordset Adapter: Sports & Outdoors

I've seen it as low as $38.

FWIW, I personally like having the cord onboard the trailer, never had a tangle, don’t see the storage area as a potential storage area for anything other than the cord. Another example of to each his/her own.
The Marinco set up was a factory option with my Escape. I use the space the cord took up for a Progressive EMS-HW30C Surge Protector and a Xantrex ProWatt SW 1000 watt inverter.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I don't see the worry about leaving it behind. I follow a simple rule with anything like that. As soon as you disconnect it, PUT IT AWAY! There should be no reason for it to get disconnected, then thrown on the ground or something and left behind.
I do normally put stuff away as I pack up and do a walk around the trailer once fully hooked up as well, but distractions do happen...like the folks next door really want to see the trailer before you pull away. Once left a small portable BQ behind that was sitting under a picnic table. Those are the occasions that I really wish to be young and have a good memory again!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Yea, I lost my favorite "RoadRunner" coffee cup that way. Had to spend $15.00 on eBay to replace it!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #44

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I do normally put stuff away as I pack up and do a walk around the trailer once fully hooked up as well, but distractions do happen...like the folks next door really want to see the trailer before you pull away. Once left a small portable BQ behind that was sitting under a picnic table. Those are the occasions that I really wish to be young and have a good memory again!
My response would be "sure, just give me a few seconds to finish this first." I've learned to put those things to the side until I finish something that I might forget to do, maybe it comes from being a jet mechanic.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #45

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
I can see the attraction of a waterproof seal at the trailer body but is there any consensus as to whether tripping over the cord would tend to do damage at the connector? Some years ago (5) a poster had found a receptacle with a slightly recessed doorway (for weather protection) and a simple 30a plug (no twist) that would pull out if the cord were snagged (and I know no one here would do this) or moved the trailer while plugged in.
Depending on how hard, it definitely could. With a 90* connector, and the cord wrapped under the trailer body though, not much chance of tripping on it. My idea with the 30' cord was to have plenty of room under the trailer, and by the post, so they can pull the cord if somebody does trip on it.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #46

Registry
Jared yours is a *Good* policy and works great when camping on your own. Find I also tend to loose a little control over whats being taken off and put away when I have helpers camping with me and in order to keep harmony one tends to have to go with the flow sometimes... not always how I would do it but what the heck. Happy Happy Happy ;-))

Also suspect the likelihood of leaving something behind increases with the number of days one camps... as I said I have left a BQ and thankful thats been it so far but that is also the only item totally lost in over 600 days of camping but I know it can and probable will happen again - probable not the BQ again though :-)

I did though almost lose my fav coffee cup last year as well...... realized it when I went to pull away and the cup tipped over on the roof of the tug and spilled down over the windshield
Old 02-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #47

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Oops. I deleted my post after the fact because upon review I thought it was just rehashing old ground and not adding to the conversation. Meanwhile, Jared was responding. Luckily he quoted my post, but if anybody wonders whats going on....its my fault.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #48

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1998 14' Burro WB
Illinois
This one is on my list to do in the Spring. I pulled my cord out and the whole plastic housing pulled out of the fiberglass. Now I have a nice hole in the side. So, I might as well eliminate the problem completely when I mend it.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #49

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I don't see the worry about leaving it behind. I follow a simple rule with anything like that. As soon as you disconnect it, PUT IT AWAY! There should be no reason for it to get disconnected, then thrown on the ground or something and left behind.
I'm of the same mind. As I tear down my trailer, I stack all the items I remove in tearing down the trailer at the storage hatch, to load all at the same time. We also always do a final check of the site before pulling away.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #50

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Putting in one of those power inlets is one of my favorite improvements of the big burro makeover.

I don't know about anybody else's extension cords, but mine would spend all the time between trips sitting there under the sink, tying itself in knots around the other gear stored under there, ready for a good laugh when I went to fish it out upon arrival at a new campsite. Totally maddening.

Plugging in via an entirely exterior extension cord, it's also way easier to give the cord a wipe-down before breaking camp and storing it again, when camping in the muddier of campgrounds.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #51

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I went with a 15 amp Marinco power connector. No more muddy shore power cable, just the extension cord, which I can wipe down. My wife likes that there are now fewer places that spiders can get into the trailer.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ded-50948.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #52

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I'm happy with a retractile cord and the 5$ recessed hatch it gozinta. What it does in its spare time and whether it keeps its area tidy doesn't prey on my mind. I carry a 25' 30amp extension so I can have the possibility of leaving something behind as well.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #53

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
forget stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You don't look that old to forget stuff, maybe you need a check off list for departing and arriving.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #54

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
You don't look that old to forget stuff, maybe you need a check off list for departing and arriving.
Chuck
LOL Chuck I have one but I have to remember to pull it out!
As I said its not normally a problem but when I have Happy Camper helpers with me I do tend to loose tabs on what ended up where. The less loose items the better.

Not to mention I would still need a place to store the cord and the place it goes now is not very useful for much of anything else, as its under the back bench were the water tank is and its not an easy hatch to get at and not someplace I would want to store anything I need to get at all that often.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #55

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Thread revived

I found a solution to the shore power challenge and posted it a few days ago here:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post492538
I hope this one is good for long term.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:39 PM   #56

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Does anyone know what the 30 Amp ParkPower™ Detachable Power Conversion Kit hole size is. I measured my mouse hole and it looks to be 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 opening. I ordered the ParkPower 301ELRV 30A Power Inlet, White with Stainless Steel Trim based on one of the threads here. It has a square plate but I don't think it's larger enough.
SteveZimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:43 AM   #57
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZimmerman View Post
Does anyone know what the 30 Amp ParkPower™ Detachable Power Conversion Kit hole size is. I measured my mouse hole and it looks to be 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 opening. I ordered the ParkPower 301ELRV 30A Power Inlet, White with Stainless Steel Trim based on one of the threads here. It has a square plate but I don't think it's larger enough.
I think the 3.4 inch dimension is the thickness, should work fine....

Product Specs:

BrandParkPower Item Weight9.6 ounces Product Dimensions7.5 x 5.1 x 3.4 inches Item model number301ELRV Manufacturer Part Number301ELRV

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #58

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Steve
I'm dealing with the same issue. I usually use Furrion connectors and their square connector is pretty much the same size of the Park Power plug. The square plugs don't quite cover the big hole. You also have to deal with the three rivet holes.
I usually install an access panel to get to under the dinette bench and move and drill a proper mounting hole for the square plug. In my S-16 DX the power plug was located over the side running light so I now also have to deal with the large Scamp power plug hole.
This is my plan. The rivet holes are about 4.5" in dia. I plan to fill them with white Marine-Tex, a real close match to the gelcoat. The round plug I selected outside dia. is 4.5" so it just barely covers the rivet holes. The mounting screw holes on the connector are 3.5" and it looks like the scamp big hole is 3.25". I plan to install a backer plate inside the trailer first and drill new mounting holes.
This is the connector I plan to use. http://www.amazon.com/Furrion-Ltd-Ro...n+30+amp+inlet

Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:04 PM   #59

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Question

I'm hoping to install a new power port in my 2016 Scamp 13' and am confused over part numbers on the Marinco ParkPower unit. D I need a 30 amp RV 3-wired contoured Marinco 304EL-BRV

OR a 30 amp RV 3-wired contoured Marinco 301EL-BRV?

I've seen both mentioned in the forums but I cannot find the 301EL-BRV listed on amazon.com, etc.

Also, is it worth it to buy the Marinco kit or just the outlet, which comes with one rubber gasket?
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #60

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Besides installing a 30 Amp twist lock shore power inlet, I also installed a "hard-wired" Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C surge protector. I like having it safely inside the trailer behind a locked door rather than using one of the portable plug-in ones which seem to like to grow legs and walk off when you're not looking. This is a link (below) to the one I installed. I also moved the electrical shore power connection to the side and that's where I installed a Marinco 30 Amp twist-Lock and a matching female cord end onto the remainder of the power cord where I cut it to run it into the shore power outlet. In order to perform the installation I enlarged the hole for the small original power cord hatch and put in a bigger one that made installing the surge protector feasible. (It's the same width as the original hatch, just a lot taller.) You can't even get the surge protector through the original small hatch that comes standard, much less see what your doing or have room to use any tools. And now I have extra storage space as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I.../dp/B0050EGS5W
JR Products ZE102-A Polar White Access Hatch Keylock Large RV Parts
Marinco 30 Amp Standard Shore Power Inlet | Shorepower
Marinco 30 Amp 125V ShorePower | Female Connector
Attached Thumbnails
New Electrical Hatch1.JPG   New Electrical Hatch2.JPG  

New Electrical Hatch3.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote