Short wife / scamp toilet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 11:12 AM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Short wife / scamp toilet

I have an adorably short wife who feels like she has to climb to the top of the toilet in the scamp 13.

I was thinking about a piece of wood over the shower but I do not want to tear up the fiberglass. Anyone have a clever solution?
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:55 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
I have an adorably short wife who feels like she has to climb to the top of the toilet in the scamp 13.

I was thinking about a piece of wood over the shower but I do not want to tear up the fiberglass. Anyone have a clever solution?
Can you clarify? Piece of wood over the shower floor to "raise the floor?"
If that is what you mean, perhaps a Rubbermaid step stool. Given that it is plastic with rubber "dots" on the bottom of its legs, it should not mar the floor.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:27 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Oliver
Utah
One possibility is a teak shower mat from Teakworks4u
https://www.teakworks4u.com/collections/mats
They may have a template for the Scamp, and if not they have instructions on how to make a template that will fit your unit.
We got one for our trailer, and we really like it.
David
DavidJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:33 PM   #4

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Just something for her to stand on when she goes in there... Maybe just a stool will do it
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:55 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've seen "false floors" made that fits the shower tub. I've seen some that are like slats where water can go through etc. Some have been just ply boards with tabs that sit inside the shower tub so it wont move and covered with indoor/outdoor carpet.

That is NOT the best arrangement actually the way the shower tub/toilet sit.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #6

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Assorted step stools

Unfortunately, one size does not fit all. The simplest solution would be a step stool. I would think the folding kind could easily be folded and tucked beside the toilet when not needed.

Here is a Wallyworld page with lots of different styles. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermai...Black/16408647

Nothing like an inconvenient convenience.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:29 AM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post

Head to your nearest home goods store such as Target, Wallmart, Bed Bath and Beyond. Look for the low step stools made for children to use in the bathroom at the sink or at the toilet as kids also have short legs Some of those kid friendly step stools have an inward curve on one side to fit against the toilet. They are made of plastic, have non skid on the top surface, they also have rubber feet to prevent damage to the floor. Different brands come in different heights, some are as low as 3 or 4 inches others as high as 8 inches.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #8

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I bought a folding step stool. works for us
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #9

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
A step stool would be "tippy" because the toilet is set so far back. We simply step on the raised fiberglass lip beside the toilet. It's a good built-in step stool and won't tip over. Eventually, I'll make a 2" slatted riser the size of the bath floor. It'll let shower water drain through and also solve the issue of an occasional wet floor. Teak, mahogany, or cedar are my choices with an oil hand rubbed . Oh, and rubber feet on the bottom and bumpers on the ends of slats will prevent scratching of the fiberglass.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #10

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
best idea ever

The previous owner of my Scamp built a nice slatted wood platform that is flush with the floor. It doesn't slide/tip as a step stool would and eliminates a tripping hazard. It's easily removable for cleaning shower floor. I put a bath mat over it for bare foot comfort when shower not in use. I'm sure a good carpenter can build you one, just frame and screw in wood slats on top of frame, so that slats are level with rest of floor.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
I use the folding step stool, b/c it needs to be folded and out of the way when I use the bathtoom. I keep one in the shower area,folds right up against the bath wall. I have a couple also by the side dinette for when we sit there, sometimes we just want to sit sideways and we put our feet on the small stools.
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #12

Name: Laurie
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Short too

I am short also. My husband made a redwood slat platform that fits into the shower well. He cut up an old rubber boot and glued it to the bottom of the platform so it wouldn't run against the fiberglass. I can reach the toilet and all the dirt from my shoes falls through the slats. I only have to clean the stall when we get home. Don't forget to clean the screen below the drain.
TimandLaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I built a "false floor" based on plans I saw on one of the groups. Basically a piece of 3/4" plywood that is wide enough to stretch across the edges, and a perpendicular pine piece supporting the one side close to the door that doesn't have an edge to support the board. I then covered that with thin pile carpet stapled on, but wrapped around the edges so that carpet contacts the fiberglass on the edges instead of plywood.
Use a piece of cardboard to make a template.
One advantage is that we can store our water hoses and filter under it when we travel.
One disadvantage is that we have to move it out of the bathroom to take a shower.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp