Should I cut or not - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Should I cut or not

Just returned from Indiana rv salvage yard with some access doors to put under rear bed for access so I don't have to remove beding to get in. Can't bring myself to cut out the opening as the fiberglass is in perfect shape .will i spoil the look.has any one else cut out on their trillium 4500 . I've done it on both my bolers and it looked great. Anyone with pictures or thoughts before I do it .dont want to regret it
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I had to cut a couple openings into the storage areas on our Uhaul, one to install a power converter, the other to access an area that previously was not accessible. I reinforced the openings with 1/2" plywood just to be sure that I wasn't affecting the structural integrity. Used fiberglass resin and a few screws to attach the plywood. As for how it will look, you'll have to decide that.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Some others' experiences:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...ll+hatch&sa=Go
Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Don't do it, the previous owner did it to mine, probably why I have wet plywood, well atleast one reason. I'm taking the doors off and covering the holes with aluminum checker plate so I'm water tight again.
Attached Thumbnails
image-1355999812.jpg  
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Francesca Knowles has done it, and seems to have no regrets.
Francesca Knowles's Trailer :: Waltzin' Matrillda
So has freddo411
freddo411's Trailer :: BernerWagon
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I see no problem at all, as long as the installation is done properly, and the hatch of good quality that seals properly. If I was to use a salvaged one, I would surely ensure its integrity. You can buy new custom sized ones at a reasonable cost, giving you the most effective sized opening you can get. You have done it before, so it should be no problem. Does it look as good as without one, probably not, but in most cases the convenience it affords is very much worth it.

I replaced the stock on on my Escape 19 with a much larger one. It was easy to do, and works great.

Old and new hatch covers.

All laid out ready to cut. I used a jigsaw for most of it, and a bit with a dremel. I did have to do a new cutout to move the electrical outlet to.

Holes all cut. After sealing the flange to the body, I fastened with rivets.

Newly installed hatch. Easy peasy.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If the hatches have very good seals and the color matches the trailer I would go for it. If the color is a shade off it will look like your thumb when its hit with a hammer. the I may rethink unless it is really, really praticle to have the access.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Someone who was far handier than I, had actually used the fiberglass cut out and replaced what came with the hatch. Perfect match that way.....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
While I ponder on installing access doors I decided its time to strip off two years and 4 layers of redmax .got zep floor stripper and applied a mix 25water to75 stripper . It removed the redmax beautify it did not damage any of the decals but it did ruin the stripe I had painted over the original stripe plan to replace the stripe anyways after talking to Roy in TO when he told me he's going to try and order from Tom from trillium .The trailer is now completely clean and smooth and ready for a new coat of zep sealer and finish .still a lot easier than waxing every other week
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hint...place the frame inside the seat area and drill a hole inside each corner. Move the frame to outside and reposition outside of holes and draw your cutout.That way you won't accidentally cut through anything that your not supposed to.
Hope that made sense.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #11

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Just returned from Indiana rv salvage yard with some access doors to put under rear bed for access so I don't have to remove beding to get in. Can't bring myself to cut out the opening as the fiberglass is in perfect shape .will i spoil the look.has any one else cut out on their trillium 4500 . I've done it on both my bolers and it looked great. Anyone with pictures or thoughts before I do it .dont want to regret it
Absolutely, it is the best thing we have done to all our trailers. They do not leak at all, and we used “RV White” Tremclad paint to match the colour reasonably well, though not perfectly. I would highly recommend it. Here is the thread for the Trillium 4500 with pictures: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/trillium-exterior-access-doors-46237.html ,

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote