SHURflo Comfort Air fan? - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Hello,
I just picked up my new Uhaul 13", and would like to replace the (broken) swamp cooler with a fan. My folks had a FanTastic in their Airstream, so I'm familiar with them, and these forums have given me an appreciation for the Maxx fans . . . but I'm curious about these, the ShurFlo, which are advertised on Camping World's site.

They claim to circulate air differently than the others . . . more of an all around flow than straight up & down. I'm wondering if this would be nice in a small trailer, or more like an indoor tornado in a small trailer, or just a marketing idea that doesn't make much difference. Has anyone out there installed one?

The previous owner bolted & siliconed a Rubbermaid container over the broken swamp cooler (after the original cover blew off while they drove) and failed to consider the effect of sun & weather on non-outdoor plastic. The rim stayed on, but the body of the container tore off & shattered on the road within 5 minutes of me driving off in it. A cautionary tale! Never glue Rubbermaid to your trailer - never, ever!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this new entry in the fan conversation!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I, too, noticed in their ads that the ShurFlo people say that their fan can be turned on with the lid closed and it is supposed to just act like a ceiling fan, stirring up the air within the trailer. I find it hard to believe that a fan designed to do this is also effective for the task of moving air in or out, but perhaps it is.

I haven't even seen this brand in person, let alone installed one; I have a MaxxFan. Other than this recirculation thing, the ShurFlo looks to me like a Fantastic Fan clone, and I would rather have the integrated retracting rain hood of the MaxxFan.

Rubbermaid makes great stuff, largely in low-density polyethylene (LDPE); I agree that it does not belong outside in sunlight... I've seen containers used outside at our home disintegrate as well, although they do relatively well in shade. It's too bad the previous owners didn't just put a normal replacement vent in place... perhaps they were stuck somewhere with no time or no source of proper parts.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe
I installed the ShurFlo brand of the Comfort Air fan in my 17ft Casita. I got the basic exhaust only model. Before I purchased it, I polled many owners of the fantastic fan about which mode they used their reversable fan on. 99% of them said they used the fan 99% of the time on the exhaust mode as opposed to the intake mode. So I figured why pay $30 extra for the Comfort Air reversable model, when I would never use the intake mode.

Two things I like about this Comfort Air model:
1. You can run it with the lid closed and it acts like a household ceiling fan.
2. The fan speed is infinitely adjustable as opposed to a three-speed fan.

So when I am camping in the cold weather and run an electric space heater for warmth, I keep the Comfort Air lid closed and the fan on the lowest speed. This helps push around the heat that rises to the ceiling of the Casita.

Overall, I like the Comfort Air. I have had it about a year and no problems. I would recommend it.

Doug Hounshell
Kanab, Utah
Old 05-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
Rubbermaid makes great stuff, largely in low-density polyethylene (LDPE); I agree that it does not belong outside in sunlight... I've seen containers used outside at our home disintegrate as well, although they do relatively well in shade. It's too bad the previous owners didn't just put a normal replacement vent in place... perhaps they were stuck somewhere with no time or no source of proper parts.
Thanks, Brian, for analyzing the Shurflo claims. I am still leaning toward the Maxx because of the rain sensor function. New England's pretty rainy, at least on days I decide to go camping.

I'm starting to enjoy wondering what the previous owner's were thinking when they did repairs. I, too, thought the Rubbermaid mod was due to short time or no tools, but after gazing at the wood frame they built for it and the thick rim of silicone, I have to wonder. But, that's part of the fun of a 22 year old trailer. It has stories. And my own temporary repair involves duct tape and a bucket, so I'm no one to cast stones

Doug, I just read your post: that's great to see that you like this fan. Thanks so much for the details. One quick question: did you put a cover over it for the rain? And is it pretty quiet?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I installed a Maxx fan about 2 years ago in the original vent location in our Scamp. What I like about it best is when it is closed the appearance is not much larger than the original vent lid.

It also performs very well. We usually use it on the lowest speed.

Loren

Quote:
Thanks, Brian, for analyzing the Shurflo claims. [b]I am still leaning toward the Maxx because of the rain sensor function. New England's pretty rainy, at least on days I decide to go camping.

I'm starting to enjoy wondering what the previous owner's were thinking when they did repairs. I, too, thought the Rubbermaid mod was due to short time or no tools, but after gazing at the wood frame they built for it and the thick rim of silicone, I have to wonder. But, that's part of the fun of a 22 year old trailer. It has stories. And my own temporary repair involves duct tape and a bucket, so I'm no one to cast stones

Doug, I just read your post: that's great to see that you like this fan. Thanks so much for the details. One quick question: did you put a cover over it for the rain? And is it pretty quiet?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:39 PM   #6

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: SSSorry I am a MaxxFan...Fan!!! I just installed it and WOW!!! No extra covers required... very quiet and I.M.H.O. looks sleek on the roof!!! Went with the smoked vs. white. I was able to peel the Ensolite away around the 14x14 roof opening and over to the upper cupboard so there is no exposed frame/spacer or wiring. Thanks to Brian BP's photo post I was able to use his methods of installing the various parts... I Jigged 2 rings of 3/4 ply to add the required thickness to the roof and we still have 5'9&1/2"of head room under the crank open/closed knob...The roof ring is installed with the addition of Weather Seal Washers under the supplied S/S screws and makes dropping the fan into the roof a "BREEZE" Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. I still have to down load my stepxstep pic's and create a new album
Old 05-18-2007, 08:40 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
I use a "Ramble" brand vent cover; it has additional slots in the side of the vent to allow more air flow.

A friend has the rain sensor powered vent fan and doesn't like it. He says on evening when it is just misting rain that the vent will open and close constantly. e.g. it closes when it sensors the least bit of rain, but then within a few minutes after it closes the sensor dries off and then the vent opens back up to start the cycle all over again. He says it is annoying when he is trying to sleep.

As far as how quiet it is, is kind of a relative question. On the highest speed it sounds like any fan. Not too loud, but noticeable. On the lowest speed, I can't even hear it. I really like the infinitely adjustable speed control.

I installed the Comfort Air exhaust only powered fan in place of the original non-fan vent on my 1996 17ft Casita. There was no pre-installed wiring to this vent hole in the roof, but I just fished some wire taped to a coat hanger under the ceiling carpet back to the back cabinet and tapped into one of the wires in the cabinet leading to a light. It works good.

Hope this helps.
Doug Hounshell
Kanab, UT