Sigh . . . Five Scamp Upper Kitchen Cabinet Doors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2008, 01:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I had two Scamp projects to work on today. One was to finish cutting and gluing the wood parts of our new bathroom door together. It is coming along very well and should be ready for wood stain tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	08Apr05_BR_Door_In_Progress____Back.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	12498
Back -- Unstained with oak wood stripe down middle & standoffs for towel rail at top and middle, but without the punched panels.

Name:	08Apr05_BR_Door_In_Progress____Front_w_Mirror___Mesh.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	12499
Front -- Unstained with punched metal panels and mirror

The other project was to make five upper kitchen cabinet doors. They're all identical, 11" wide by 9-1/2" tall doors, so I decided to mass produce them. You know: cut all the top pieces at the same time, the bottom pieces, etc., glue the six pieces each that make the five back halves of the door, then the six that make the front halves. My next step was to glue the ten half-doors together to make five doors . . . they're looking really sharp . . . except it is just now I realize that all the doors I've made for the scamp so far have the wood running a different direction. So they're going to look really sharp, but won't match the rest of the woodwork.

Name:	08Apr05_Errant_Kitchen_Cab_Door_In_Progress__should_look_like_.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	12496
What my doors & drawer fronts are supposed to look like

Name:	08Apr05_Errant_Kitchen_Cab_Door_In_Progress__annotated_.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	12497
How these doors came out

Grrrrr! I'll re-make them correctly next weekend, but these are so close I may as well finish gluing them together so someone else can use them. They'd make excellent picture frames that exactly replace the Scamp upper kitchen cabinet doors . . .

--Peter

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
That's the trouble with doing beautiful work at such a high level, Peter; the doors you've produced are a disappointment because the wood grain is the incorrect orientation. If I had made them, I'd marvel that they fit without taking the belt-sander to them 8-).
Cam
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
ahhhh measure twice, cut once? I agree with Cam, tho in my case I'd probably have to be satisfied with gaps ...

Someone is going to have nice picture frames and a story to go along with 'em.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
That last picture is just pattern testing, right?
They're going to look great when you're finished and have them installed.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Peter, just a thought, but on top you have a piece of wood going all the way to both sides and on bottom is wood between side pieces. When the side pieces expand and contract, they may split if they are glued to the top piece, which will be stable.

Otherwise, they are going to look great.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Peter, .. I may be dense.. are you trying to point out the skinny bits are supposed to be the top and bottoms, and the fat bits are the sides, but you put them together the exact opposite?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Peter, .. I may be dense.. are you trying to point out the skinny bits are supposed to be the top and bottoms, and the fat bits are the sides, but you put them together the exact opposite?
Yup, that's it. It might sound like overkill, but it'd drive me batty every time I looked at them if I didn't redo them to match. I've only got about 1-1/2 hours of shop time invested in them thus far, so it's not a huge loss.

What confuses -- or bemuses -- me is the transformation in attitude. I used to tell Lynne not to stress on decorating the trailer too much because -- and this is exactly how I put it -- its only a camper trailer. A tent on wheels. A warm, dry place to eat, catch a few ZZZZ, and hide when it's rainy outside and we don't want to go hiking or adventuring. The only thing I planned on doing was making the space more usable. Not glitzy or chic (though certainly not ugly, either) just functional and easy to look at.

I bought several sheets of pre-finished hardwood plywood from the factory-seconds shop because it was strong, lightweight, dirt-cheap and wouldn't require a lot of effort to finish it, then I got to work.

I added a laundry hamper to the loft design because it was just so damn useful to have one. Ditto the drawers and loft cabinets.

I decided on a drawer and cabinet door design that used punched aluminum sheets for much of the door front because it is very light, strong, and would to allow air to circulate and fight back against mold growing in the trailer while in storage here in the Pacific NorthWet.

So now, when I see a cool, curvy mirror at IKEA I think, "Hey we've been looking for a mirror in the Scamp . . ." I bring it home, attach it to the bathroom door, and the craftsman and artist in me thinks, "Hey, I could design a cool door around that . . ."

Somewhere along the way, our "tent on wheels" turned into a rolling pleasure palace. But, what the heck, I'm having fun!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:42 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Peter, just a thought, but on top you have a piece of wood going all the way to both sides and on bottom is wood between side pieces. When the side pieces expand and contract, they may split if they are glued to the top piece, which will be stable.
The doors are a layered, with a second set of timber constructed upside-down from the front layer, then wood-glued together. It doesn't totally protect me from cracking at the joints, but it's a good start.

--Peter
Old 04-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
Duohh! Ok, that's worse than wrong grain orientation; as you can tell, I wouldn't have noticed until I had them on. I will put on my "new" glasses prior to replying next time.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:46 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
The doors are a layered, with a second set of timber constructed upside-down from the front layer, then wood-glued together. It doesn't totally protect me from cracking at the joints, but it's a good start.
OK, that's all right -- That's one of the reasons they came up with plywood; grains running in both directions make for more stable wood.

I think what you are seeing in your attitude is the difference between (perhaps male trait) indifference to your surroundings and pride of workmanship. If someone else built it, eventually you would become accustomed to it.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ah Peter, just paint them white... no one will notice the grain or thickness of the wood.... just the WHITE!

Glad to have been of help
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Ah Peter, just paint them white... no one will notice the grain or thickness of the wood.... just the WHITE!

Glad to have been of help
Oh no Donna, that is what the next owner does with them.....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Oh no Donna, that is what the next owner does with them.....
That actually wouldn't bother me . . . I'd have made them differently if that was their original destiny, but the amount of work to this point would have been almost the same.

--P
Old 04-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Peter... When I'm done reno-ing our house bathroom...MEGA$$$$ I'll send you the measurements of all our cabinet doors from the Boler and you can make me a set o doors as there won't be any $$$$ left in the kitty. LoL p.s. the mactac is peeling and the grains aren't all going the same way either!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1984
Why not make all the frame pieces the same? Make all your styles [sides] full length and all your rails [cross pieces] to fit between. You could cut all your woodwork the same at one time and then cut the multiple lengths that you need. Make it about 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" and all should look good. A lot of pre made doors are made with a wide bottom rail so that you can cut to fit after you take it home.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Why not make all the frame pieces the same? Make all your styles [sides] full length and all your rails [cross pieces] to fit between. You could cut all your woodwork the same at one time and then cut the multiple lengths that you need. Make it about 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" and all should look good. A lot of pre made doors are made with a wide bottom rail so that you can cut to fit after you take it home.
I could do that, but I've already made several doors and drawers already, and I want them all to match.

So here's what the "bad doors" look like (unsanded & unfinished):

Name:	Bad_Door_640x480.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	12688

And the "good doors" look like this (also unsanded & unfinished):

Name:	Good_Door_640x480.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	12689

I'll get the whole lot of them (good and bad) sanded up, then stain and finish the "good" ones and install their center panels this weekend. Hopefully I'll also have time to do the sink-side lower cabinet doors before Northern Oregon Gathering (NOG) in a week and a half, too.

--Peter
Old 04-20-2008, 11:57 PM   #17

Registry
And here's how the new doors -- second edition -- look in the kitchen.

Name:	08Apr20_New_Upper_Kitchen_Cabinet_Doors__1__640x480.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	12763

Name:	08Apr20_New_Upper_Kitchen_Cabinet_Doors__2__640x480.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	12764

--Peter
Old 07-06-2008, 12:20 AM   #18

Registry
Got the last of the doors made and installed in the kitchen. Here's how the final product looks!

Name:	08Jul05CabinetDoorsSS.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	14297
[attachment=17542:08Jul05C...tDoorsCS.
JPG]

The pots-n-pans cabinet has an organizer inside the door. The white enameled Masonite not only provides a spot where the utensil hangers can go, they also protect the aluminum mesh door fronts from getting dinged by shifting pots & pans.

Name:	08Jul05CabinetDoorsPotPanInside.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	14299

I made & mounted the knife block so that the blades point toward the hinges and so that if the knives bounce up and down while the trailer is in motion the handles bump against the fiberglass opening in the cabinet.

Attached Thumbnails
08Jul05CabinetDoorsCS.JPG  
Old 07-06-2008, 02:16 AM   #19

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
A place for everything, and everything in its place!
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #20

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry

Peter, it looks terrific and the utility/storage is an inspiration.

May I ask, what catches do you use on the doors? Are they strong enough to stay closed in travel?

I thought I might need to get those tension catches or whatever they are called, when I get to the doors on my "work in progress" but I prefer the simpler knobs like you have.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp