Single propane tank covers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #15

Name: KJ
Trailer: none
Oregon
David, this sounds real good. I'd be interested, however with a little nip an tuck.
See pic. Keith
Attached Thumbnails
CPT 2.jpg  

Old 02-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have the single 25 lb lite fg cylinder and was thinking about the cover. How would one see the liquid/gas? Are you having a window installed down the side to allow the liquid/gas be measured?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
David for what is is worth having had my cover for a few years all I can say is that what ever you make the key point for me as to whether I buy another or not is how easy it is to turn the tank on and off without having to open up more than one or two closures. Also what ever the closures are they be located to the side rather than the back of the trailer. Hate having to fight to close it between the tank and the battery which is closer to the house. I too would like something other than white!! Hot pink maybe?????
I agree with those concerns. There is a zipper on the top for really easy access to the valve. It's a no fumble deal. Zip it open, turn the valve, zip it shut. I understand the closure concern too. I'm addressing the ease of access and ease of function as well. Part of it using closures that don't require force or clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have the single 25 lb lite fg cylinder and was thinking about the cover. How would one see the liquid/gas? Are you having a window installed down the side to allow the liquid/gas be measured?
I have the same tank and the same concern. Hell, that''s the main reason I went fiberglass. We are examining options to find one that works well. We may use the window, but the problem is that the window will yellow over time. The cover will probably outlast any window material. We are experimenting with various opening schemes. Part of the problem though is that the cover will block light going through the tank. That will make seeing the level harder I think. Remains to be seen. It may end up that removing the cover is the best option for checking the level. With the mockup I made, I could remove the cover, check the level, and replace the cover in about 30 seconds. The reason it is so fast is that I'm using no fumble connections. No snaps to struggle with, no elastic to fight, no difficult alignments. That's the long answer. The short answer is yes there will be a convenient way to check the level

David
Old 02-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
How about a zip up opening vs a window, unzip to determine level of gas and zip to close. Another zip opening around top to turn the valve on/off.
One issue that may exist is the method of tank attachment, mine is a circular expandable clamp that secures the tank that will be on the outside of the cover to also help secure it. I've lost covers before on other models.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #19

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Here is a hard cover that someone made for their Boler to cover the propane tank and a battery.
Attached Thumbnails
1439 (640x480).jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #20

Oregon
Quote:
How about a zip up opening vs a window, unzip to determine level of gas and zip to close. Another zip opening around top to turn the valve on/off.
One issue that may exist is the method of tank attachment, mine is a circular expandable clamp that secures the tank that will be on the outside of the cover to also help secure it. I've lost covers before on other models.
Harley,
A side zipper for inspection on the Lite Cylinder covers is being considered. As long as enough light penetrates the cover to backlight the liquid, that option will be a go. Believe me, I've got plenty of gray weather here to test that condition. The zipper will be captured at both ends so you won't have that reattachment fumble. I've got a real fobia of fumbling . I hate poorly designed items that force it on me. I purposely left a little room inside the cover both for ventilation, and to accommodate some mounting options. I'll show you the simple bracket that I built for mine. It holds the tank from the side. The entire thing is under the cover and very unobtrusive. There is no way this cover will blow off. Even if the hold downs are left unfastened, the cover is captured by the hose passing through.

Once I get pictures people can see how it attaches
Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #21

Pennsylvania
Registry
I like the zipper having access from either end, here is my tank clamp. This is my 20 lb tank with a gauge, i.e. reason for hole to see gauge. My 25 lb f/g tank will be put on, once this tank goes dry. Looking forward to a nice cover vs one with holes cut.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00976.JPG  
Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #22

Oregon
Charley,
Is that support post welded to the top of the frame? I can't quite make it out. It looks like a post with a metal band correct? Is there also a post on the other side?
David
Old 02-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #23

Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes there are 2 supports with a metal band with a clasp bolt that tightens or in the bigger tank, spreads to hold it tight. Here is a picture from the factory for the other side.
Attached Thumbnails
320090_10150368012019324_55752169323_8190236_52361587_n.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #24

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
David,

Will you be at the OR gathering this July? I would like to see how you attached your lite tank and the cover.

Actually could you tell us how you installed (and which tank you bought) to your trailer? The only reason I haven't bought one yet is that I am not handy at modifying anything. We don't need a 20 lb tank, but if that size changes out easily....

Nancy
Old 02-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #25

Oregon
Quote:
Yes there are 2 supports with a metal band with a clasp bolt that tightens or in the bigger tank, spreads to hold it tight. Here is a picture from the factory for the other side.
Got it, thanks. Can you measure the distance around both the tank and the posts and clamps?
Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #26

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Got it, thanks. Can you measure the distance around both the tank and the posts and clamps?
Once it stops raining I can, we are in the middle of a monsoon right now with 50 mph gusts. I had to anchor my fence to my rv to keep the fence upright!!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #27

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
To high priced for me. $47.00

Name:   6435052502p.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  13.3 KB
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
Old 02-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #28

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
David,

Will you be at the OR gathering this July? I would like to see how you attached your lite tank and the cover.

Actually could you tell us how you installed (and which tank you bought) to your trailer? The only reason I haven't bought one yet is that I am not handy at modifying anything. We don't need a 20 lb tank, but if that size changes out easily....

Nancy
Nancy,
I may start another thread showing how I mounted mine. It is secure and fairly simple. I think the 20 pound would be a good choice if your needs are small because it fits well in the space. I think Lite Cylinder has made a mistake by not making their tanks directly compatable with steel tank fixtures. It held me off too for a while. I have the 25lb tank like CPAharley.
David

Tags
propane