Single propane tank covers - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Posts: 316
Single propane tank covers

Would anybody like a source for a top quality single tank cover? Here's the deal. I'm working with a local upholstery guy to design a top quality cover for my new Lite Cylinder. I suggested to him that there may be a market for such an item because basically nobody makes a decent option for single tanks. These covers will be made of super Hd 18oz mesh reinforced marine fabric with double thickness stress points, contoured fit, super HD zippers and SS hardware, easy on/off, access port for valve, passthrough for the hose, solvent welded construction so no threads to rot. I'm talking military grade everything . The design fits tanks that fit in the V of the tongue, but could be used other places.

I suggested that 4 models would cover most all the needs: 5 and 7.5 gal steel tanks, and 5 & 7 gal Lite cylinders. We are using my Scamp and tanks to develop the patterns. I can't mention cost yet, but it appears we are talking a very reasonable sum.

I have absolutely no dog in this fight. No financial connection or anything else. I just met Keith. I just see a great need, and potentially a great fix. Once we get the details worked out I'll just post contact info for Keith, and I'm out of the picture. Keith is a great guy, so sending a little work his way pleases me. Everybody wins.

If there is interest, Keith will tool up and get to it. So the questions is: is there interest??? If so we will continue, and I will post pics when mine is done and perhaps one of the steel tank models is done. If no interest, we won't bother. I'm sure looking forward to getting mine

Thanks!
David
__________________

__________________
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
Posts: 245
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Would anybody like a source for a top quality single tank cover? Here's the deal. I'm working with a local upholstery guy to design a top quality cover for my new Lite Cylinder. I suggested to him that there may be a market for such an item because basically nobody makes a decent option for single tanks. These covers will be made of super Hd 18oz mesh reinforced marine fabric with double thickness stress points, contoured fit, super HD zippers and SS hardware, easy on/off, access port for valve, passthrough for the hose, solvent welded construction so no threads to rot. I'm talking military grade everything . The design fits tanks that fit in the V of the tongue, but could be used other places.

I suggested that 4 models would cover most all the needs: 5 and 7.5 gal steel tanks, and 5 & 7 gal Lite cylinders. We are using my Scamp and tanks to develop the patterns. I can't mention cost yet, but it appears we are talking a very reasonable sum.

I have absolutely no dog in this fight. No financial connection or anything else. I just met Keith. I just see a great need, and potentially a great fix. Once we get the details worked out I'll just post contact info for Keith, and I'm out of the picture. Keith is a great guy, so sending a little work his way pleases me. Everybody wins.

If there is interest, Keith will tool up and get to it. So the questions is: is there interest??? If so we will continue, and I will post pics when mine is done and perhaps one of the steel tank models is done. If no interest, we won't bother. I'm sure looking forward to getting mine

Thanks!
David
YES, YES! That is one thing I really hate about our rig is the d--m ugly tank. Count me in. Suggestion about shipping, US Post Office one price boxes.
__________________

__________________
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
Posts: 245
David, Pix will be very important and exact measurements. Great idea and supporting local workers is the AMERICAN way. Thankfully something that wont be stamped made in CHINA.
__________________
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Do you mean something like this?

Tank cover

I have the single 20lb tank cover - mine does have the cool zip off top like that though - just snaps down and it can be a bit of a pain to snap back together.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
David, Pix will be very important and exact measurements. Great idea and supporting local workers is the AMERICAN way. Thankfully something that wont be stamped made in CHINA.
This is one man shop in a small town. No China. I really like supporting this kind of thing. I'll get pics once we get a couple made. Dimensions as well.
__________________
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
This is one man shop in a small town. No China. I really like supporting this kind of thing. I'll get pics once we get a couple made. Dimensions as well.
understand that but was wondering if your idea is the same concept?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
melissab's Avatar
 
Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Posts: 1,372
Me too! And it's not from China so fantastic! Maybe consider offering a double tank cover in the future? Gee, could they be offered in colors other than white so they dont show dirt so easily? A red tank cover would coordinate nicely with the red lettering on the Scamps, blue covers to match Casitas etc.
__________________
Melissa in Florida
2016 Honda Odyssey
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Do you mean something like this?

Tank cover

I have the single 20lb tank cover - mine does have the cool zip off top like that though - just snaps down and it can be a bit of a pain to snap back together.
Carol,
The only similarity is that they are both soft covers . These have no elastic. They are fitted and held down very securely by positive stainless hardware. Easy on and off. The quality will be no comparison. You'll likely never need another one unless someone steals it. In fact, I'm getting grommets in the back for a cable lock. There are no snaps to struggle with. They connect with stainless steel turn locks.

The covers you linked are only available for the 20lb bottle, and there is nothing anywhere for the Lite Cylinders.
__________________
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
melissab's Avatar
 
Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Posts: 1,372
Oh! Maybe quality spare tire covers could be his next project after this??
__________________
Melissa in Florida
2016 Honda Odyssey
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
Member
 
Name: Rickie
Trailer: 78 scamp '13
Michigan
Posts: 40
I would also be interested possibly as well, cost; color; and how easy it is to remove. I have a scamp as well and would love to see pictures
__________________
XL milkjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Me too! And it's not from China so fantastic! Maybe consider offering a double tank cover in the future? Gee, could they be offered in colors other than white so they dont show dirt so easily? A red tank cover would coordinate nicely with the red lettering on the Scamps, blue covers to match Casitas etc.
Hi Melissa,
We talked about colors and I believe the plan is to offer a color choice for a slight upcharge over the white. I agree conpletely about the colors maintaining their look better. Mine will be done in a light gray for that reason. He had some very pretty blue in the shop. I think this material comes in like 8 or 10 colors. I saw the color swatches in the book when I ordered mine.

Doubles maybe later. I think for now just the singles since there are other options for the doubles. Of course it's his deal. I'm just helping with design.
__________________
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Posts: 316
If everyone interested could list the type/size of tanks they have, that would be helpful. The plan is make my cover and one for a 20 pound steel tank since I have those on hand. The 30 pound steel would be the same of course but taller. The reason we are doing different covers for the steel tanks and the Lite Cylinders is that they have different shaped tops. The covers are custom fitted, not just sack pulled down over the tank.
__________________
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Oh! Maybe quality spare tire covers could be his next project after this??
Maybe I hear you about the tire covers, mine is junk. I get so sick of buying junk because I can't find anything better. That's why I'm doing this. Some of these covers are so cheezy that you can barely install them the first time without ripping the seams.
__________________
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
David for what is is worth having had my cover for a few years all I can say is that what ever you make the key point for me as to whether I buy another or not is how easy it is to turn the tank on and off without having to open up more than one or two closures. Also what ever the closures are they be located to the side rather than the back of the trailer. Hate having to fight to close it between the tank and the battery which is closer to the house. I too would like something other than white!! Hot pink maybe?????
__________________

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
propane


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mounting a single propane tank gillian s Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 07-25-2013 01:16 PM
Single propane tank holder Kevin M Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 06-28-2009 02:17 PM
PROPANE TANK JIM DUNNE Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 05-17-2009 08:19 PM
How do you mount a single LP Tank? Brandon M Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 07-21-2008 07:41 PM
about single to double LP tank conversion Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 03-31-2003 07:16 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.