Sink & water supply questions + updates - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-11-2015, 07:55 AM   #15
Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Does this mean when we wash the dishes outside we must NOT dump this water somewhere on the ground ??

RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #16
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Exactly! It's a paradigm shift for us old tent campers, I know. One state park we frequent now provides a hot water dishwashing station at the bath house. Another has a drain under every water spigot, one for every 4-6 sites, so it's only a few steps to carry the dish water.

Not every place is that restrictive, so you need to check local rules, but I'd say it's become the norm in developed, high-use areas. And it makes sense. I don't want to camp on top of the last person's greasy food scraps.

Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #17
Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B17
Like Jon says, many campgrounds now have designated places for dumping out your dishwater. There may be a designated sink at the restroom facilities or just a drain area under the water spigots. If you were boondocking somewhere (like on BLM land) then it might be permissible to empty your dishwater directly onto the ground, but even many BLM areas now require campers to have holding tanks.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #18
Name: Dave
Trailer: 1975 Compact II
Portable grey tank

Here is an example of a portable grey storage tank, connected to the gravity drain off the sink:
Attached Thumbnails
portable grey tank.jpg  
SouthwestOregon201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #19
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
Does this mean when we wash the dishes outside we must NOT dump this water somewhere on the ground ??

As has been mentioned that is the case not only in developed camping areas but in many undeveloped camping areas as well now.... dumping grey water anywhere on the ground attracts bugs as well as wildlife. Most state parks as well as National parks do have a spot for those who are camping in tents to dump their dish water that one can use but when camping in undeveloped places such as BLM lands or Forest service camps you will not find those.

Its all part of the leave no trace policy. Yes dumping it directly into a bucket from the trailer is an option - but those are also forbidden at some of the the forest service or BLM sites I have used - you are more likely to get away with using the portable fully enclosed tote that has been posted but I have stayed in places where those are disallowed as well - trailer must be fully self contained - which basically means all the tanks must be attached to the trailer at all times. I carry with me the fully enclosed portable tote to allow me to drain off my grey water or black tank as needed when dry camping and take it away in the car to dump in an allowed location.

The fully self contained situation is more often than not found at higher end campgrounds but it is also becoming more common place in the back county sites as well - at least here on the west coast. If I am not mistaken a member here reported not so long ago about being turned away from a National park someplace in the US due to a lack of a built in holding tank.

If your wanting a trailer that gives you the greatest flexibility as to where you can camp then I would suggest a built in grey water tank would be the best option.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote