Sink & water supply questions + updates - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 1995 16 ft Scamp
Virginia
Sink & water supply questions + updates

Our 16 ft Scamp shell never had any appliances or cabinets (other than the fiberglass closet by the door), so we're having to start from scratch.

At some point I'd like to put in a small sink, but I don't want to put in a water storage tank. Is it possible to just connect to "city water" where available (with a pressure regulator) and use a sink that way?

In other news, we ordered marine headliner fabric today, bought curtain rods, looked at (but didn't purchase) fabric for curtains and bought an inexpensive air mattress. Eventually we'll add a regular mattress, but we want to be able to use this as soon as possible for overnight trips. Still doing a lot of designing and planning and might start some building this week, including reinforcing the platform that's been started in the back for a permanent bed.
artrageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #2

Name: Steph
Trailer: Perris Pacer 13'
California
Registry
We ditched our water storage tank, just going to use city water.
I'll just use bottled water when needed.

We couldn't remove the tank without destroying it, it had been placed
within one of the benches and then the bench was fiberglassed in around it.
We needed the storage. We kept the grey water tank.
ratty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:30 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
While you can easily install a sink with only city water service, depending on having city water will severely limit your RV'ing options. Several of us have installed an external water reservoir and pump as an alternative source. Here's an idea:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ter-68313.html

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:21 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
As Bob said, easy to install street water only.
Or add the external reservoir with a 12V pump. External Water Reservoir - Boler Camping
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:12 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you're going to have a sink, you also need to think about how you will collect the grey water.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #6

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If you're going to have a sink, you also need to think about how you will collect the grey water.
When I was a kid traveling around with my parents in a 13' Shasta, we just had a bucket under the sink drain. We didn't use a whole lot of water since we were usually staying in campgrounds with bathhouses near by.

Not sure when we'll put in a sink; mission now is to get it "ready enough" to use for overnight trips this year. Next winter we'll access needs/wants/time/money and try to do more.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Sink & water supply questions + updates

Unless you order a grey tank, the most basic Scamps are not much more that that- they drain to an external fitting, and a hose runs into a bucket.

Know, though, that a lot has changed since your Shasta days. Many places won't let you dump grey water on the ground; you have to carry it to the wash house. I have heard a few places require a sealed system: no open buckets. A closed external container attached to the trailer via a leak-proof fitting is good.

Anyway, what you suggest will certainly get you started. But with so little grey water capacity, I'm not sure I see the reason for a city water connection.

Many places we go, the best sites (and the cheapest) don't have hook-ups. Our Scamp came with a fresh water tank & hand pump and a city water connection. We've never used either. We cook outside. We keep a portable 6-gallon container there and a couple of jugs of drinking water inside. One feature I have made good use of is the 12V system for lights and, occasionally, the furnace.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #8

Virginia
If we get to the point that we put in a sink and city water connection, we'd probably opt to hook up a gray water tank, too. Interesting to hear about some campgrounds not allowing buckets or any open system.

We really are starting from scratch, though. We've done a lot since we bought it in November, but we've still got a lot to do! This is where we are now!
Old 04-09-2015, 09:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by artrageous View Post
When I was a kid traveling around with my parents in a 13' Shasta, we just had a bucket under the sink drain. We didn't use a whole lot of water since we were usually staying in campgrounds with bathhouses near by.
Things have change a bit since you where a kid. There are a number of places (some national and state parks etc) that will not allow one to discharge their grey water into an outside bucket these days as it attracts wild life.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #10

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Just would like to agree with some of the others above who have cautioned about not dumping grey water directly onto the ground. That would be a big no-no in any State or National Park. And really not very good practice anywhere for that matter. At the very least you may attract critters that you really don't want to attract! You might be able to drain your sink water into a bucket or container of some sort and then dump that at the campground facilities. Another option would be one of those portable waste water toters if you don't want to install a holding tank.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #11

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We use one of the folding water jugs attached so the waste pipe cannot be accidentally dislodged. It hasn't been a problem at any of the state or national parks we have been at.

We also opted to do away with the 12v water pump and switch to a marine foot pump and spigot. We wanted our trailer to be as simple and foolproof as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #12

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post
We wanted our trailer to be as simple and foolproof as possible.
This is our goal, too. As I've said, we hope to get *enough* done to be able to use it this year. We'll figure out more as we go along.

Currently we have no water input, so all things "water" are down the proverbial road a bit. But good to know about the whole bucket thing. I'm sure things HAVE changed a lot since the 60s and 70s!
Old 04-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #13

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
You know, those 2.5 gallon bottled water jugs are great for on-the-fly water stations. Or the fold-a-jugs. We often set one up on the picnic table. Great for hand washing too

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #14

Virginia
I keep trying to "like" posts. But thanks for the tips.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:55 AM   #15

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Does this mean when we wash the dishes outside we must NOT dump this water somewhere on the ground ??

RRJR
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Exactly! It's a paradigm shift for us old tent campers, I know. One state park we frequent now provides a hot water dishwashing station at the bath house. Another has a drain under every water spigot, one for every 4-6 sites, so it's only a few steps to carry the dish water.

Not every place is that restrictive, so you need to check local rules, but I'd say it's become the norm in developed, high-use areas. And it makes sense. I don't want to camp on top of the last person's greasy food scraps.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #17

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Like Jon says, many campgrounds now have designated places for dumping out your dishwater. There may be a designated sink at the restroom facilities or just a drain area under the water spigots. If you were boondocking somewhere (like on BLM land) then it might be permissible to empty your dishwater directly onto the ground, but even many BLM areas now require campers to have holding tanks.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Registry
Portable grey tank

Here is an example of a portable grey storage tank, connected to the gravity drain off the sink:
Attached Thumbnails
portable grey tank.jpg  
SouthwestOregon201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
Does this mean when we wash the dishes outside we must NOT dump this water somewhere on the ground ??

RRJR
As has been mentioned that is the case not only in developed camping areas but in many undeveloped camping areas as well now.... dumping grey water anywhere on the ground attracts bugs as well as wildlife. Most state parks as well as National parks do have a spot for those who are camping in tents to dump their dish water that one can use but when camping in undeveloped places such as BLM lands or Forest service camps you will not find those.

Its all part of the leave no trace policy. Yes dumping it directly into a bucket from the trailer is an option - but those are also forbidden at some of the the forest service or BLM sites I have used - you are more likely to get away with using the portable fully enclosed tote that has been posted but I have stayed in places where those are disallowed as well - trailer must be fully self contained - which basically means all the tanks must be attached to the trailer at all times. I carry with me the fully enclosed portable tote to allow me to drain off my grey water or black tank as needed when dry camping and take it away in the car to dump in an allowed location.

The fully self contained situation is more often than not found at higher end campgrounds but it is also becoming more common place in the back county sites as well - at least here on the west coast. If I am not mistaken a member here reported not so long ago about being turned away from a National park someplace in the US due to a lack of a built in holding tank.

If your wanting a trailer that gives you the greatest flexibility as to where you can camp then I would suggest a built in grey water tank would be the best option.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote